Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
i dont know much about overclocking and never have overclocked and may never(it is a warranty killer!)
if i overclock my cpu do i have to o/c memory and m/b as well?
also just an example but if i o/c a p4 2.8GHZ to say 3.4 or 3.6ghz will it be identical to a 3.4/3.6ghz p4 or will it be less stable?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
definitely less stable. Make sure you have good quality (non value) ram and your motherboard is a good overclocker. Increasing the fsb will affect your ram unless you reduce the multiplier as well. Also, you may have to play with voltages and reduce the timings on even good ram to get a stable system. This will also create more heat and a good cooling system is called for.

In short, if you want to OC it's something you should consider when you build so that you have the best components possible. Trying to OC with a crappy motherboard, psu and ram is not fun.

ervinshiznit

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
if ur speaking of a warranty.. im gonna assume that uve got a prebuilt computer from a manufacturer (hp, dell, compaq, sony, etc.), then u can't overclock that computer... at least in my experience

no pre-built computer ive seen lets u overclock

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
The motherboard O/C's no matter what, unless you get a highend(Pentium EE or AMD FX) that lets you raise the multiplier. You gotta raise the FSB in order to O/C. As for the RAM, if you don't OC it you won't see as much improvement, if you hold back your RAM, you hold back your data transfer rate, which is quite a bottleneck in stuff like games.