aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a problem with a couple of Western Digital hard drives. I cannot get fdisk to see more that 10,781 MB on either drive. One is NEW (WD-800JB), other is RE-Furb (WD-800AW-R).

I am testing on the bench with bare necessities, no OS involved.

I have used two completly different mobo, CPU, Vid, Mem etc setups (all support Large Drives, with same results)

I have reduced my troubleshoot to the common denominator, the BOOT DISK('s) and a faulty FDISK.EXE program. Although I have tried FDISK.EXE from several different boot disks as well as a fresh copy off of the Partition Magic 8.0 Program

I have only used the two WD hard drives though. (Both Bad?? probably not likely, but possible).

I've been doing this for a few years now and havn't had a problem with fdisk not seeing all of the drive before, so I'm am asking for some input on this.

ps, I have heard of different versions of FDISK.EXE but have not seen anything different in any of them. How do you tell what version of FDISK you have anyway?? :?:

Thanks for any feedback on this subject

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Do these drive contain any partions on them? Try to delete any partions on the drive then run a zerofill on it. It should break the drives allocations, then fdisk back in. If your looking to setup XP or Server, then just load the bootable disk and your can creat the partion the same way with out installing an OS: This option may work out better beuacse of more hardware support.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Try the GParted LiveCD, as it will try to scan a drive to account for bad partition tables.

Another option is the TestDisk tool on the ultimate boot cd, which in addition to scanning the disk for broken partition data, is often able to recover any lost data.

If you haven't lost any data on these, then zero-filling as PCcashCow suggested will fix the solution with minimal work (unless there's some hardware issue here, not likely) Many "wipers" are also on the ultimate boot cd.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I'm surprised you've never seen it before, cause I use fdisk probably once a week if not more, and it happens on all disks above a certain size. Sometimes the max size is 10G, sometimes 15G, give or take, but it never shows all the space on large disks.

ADDED: I just did some poking around, and it appears the displayed size for disks larger than 64G could be the disk size minus 64G. So, if the disk is 80G, the displayed size might be around 16G, etc. That's pretty much what I've seen and I don't recall exact numbers for specific drive sizes, but I always see the wrong size listed for large disks.

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
I have also seen that. (64G could be the disk size minus 64G)

When this happens (fdisk won't read all), do you go ahead and format it anyway at the 10,781 size? How are you supposed to get the full usage out of the drive?

After I fdisk it (10,781mb), I go to format and it only wants to format 10,781???? Not 80G! Now What?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
To be honest with you, I have never formated a partition like that. I always use fdisk to create a partition equal or smaller than the recognized size. However, it seems I do recall once just selecting the maximum size it recognized, then formated the drive, and it was the full, actual size of the disk, not the incorrectly displayed size from fdisk. But, I can't say for sure that is what happened.

Give it a try, it can't hurt anything. If it doesn't work right, no harm done, just start over. let me know what happens.

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
No, there are no partitions and No OS involved. I am running these on the bench with the bare necessities. These are fresh drives. 1 new and 1 a just bought refurb.

I just used Data Lifeguard tool to zerofill the drive and it had no effect.

BTW, DLG found no errors on the drive after running the DIAGs.

Thanks

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Where do I find copies of the softwear below.
---
Another option is the TestDisk tool on the ultimate boot cd, which in addition to scanning the disk for broken partition data, is often able to recover any lost data.
---

Thanks

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
What I usually do is; fdisk a full sized partition (C: Drive 100%). Then load OS and partition with Partition Magic.

I am formatting now (at 10,781), to see what happens.

Thanks

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
If you're talking about windows XP, then why not just create the partition from within the loading menu?

The only reason I use fdisk now is if I'm replacing a disk on an existing machine and want to, for example, ghost one disk to another, but want to have a smaller system partition, etc. If I'm just loading the OS from scratch, I can't think of any good reason to use fdisk. That is, if you are using XP.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
throw the drives in a windows box and have a look, or like Pain said, use the Windows setup process, my question still stands. FDISK is a lot like your wife, sure, 10 years ago she looked pretty good, but its time to trade up for a newer model, get with the times Pops.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I've given an example of why I use it. If I'm going to swap a disk in an existing machine and move a ghost image over to a partition, I sometimes need to quickly create a partition. I could put the disk in a machine, boot the machine, create the partition then reboot to run ghost. Or, I could just create the partition with fdisk. Saves me a step.

You don't have to use it if you don't want, it's a free world. And if you know another way that is free and easy, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Pain,

You were right about the drives not reading full in fdisk. I formated both drives, that fdisk said were reading only 10,781. When I went to format them format.com also said that they were 10,781. Alas, after formatting, they were reading 79,+++,+++ MB or 80G.

Now that I know the hard drives are ok, I can put them up for sale.

Thanks for everyones input.

Oh, Tdubbers, maybe you need to trade, your wife, up for a new one, but mine looks just as good as she did 10 years ago. and I got your pops!

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Where do I find copies of the softwear below.
---
---

Thanks

My previous post had the actual links embeded, but here ya go: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com. Download the ISO, burn it with your favorite CD recording app, enjoy. It includes TestDisk in the CD. Just reboot your PC with the CD in the drive to check it out.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Cool, thanks for the info. I also read somewhere that you might be able to use percentages to create a partition. So, if the disk were reading only 10G, then you could tell it to create a partition 50%, and it would partition the disk to half of what ever the actual size is. I haven't tested that either, and don't even know if what I was reading was refering to fdisk or not since I just glanced at it, but I'll give that a test the next time I have an opportunity and see if it works.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Was the hassel worth the five bucks a pop your likely to get for the drives? You can take that pretty wife of yours out to Burger King....life is sweet.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
FDISK doesn't repair or recover drives, it creates partitions, and the button on the front of your computer isn't magic...it's a power button.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Why the hell do people still use FDISK?

Because it works and we're all old school. Jerky boy.

well they need to put out a version of FDISK that is modern (educate it that drives more than 16GB do actually exist...).

More to the point, who has floppy drives these days?