Why XP's SP2 will extract to I: driver?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

I downloaded the FULL Windows XP2 from the net (266MB)

And then try to install it, but after double-click the exe, I discovered it
will extract to I: driver not is C: driver, do it is general?

My HDD is C: primary, installed XP, I: is my second HDD's primary partition,
I am wonder why SP2 will not extract to C:, just extract to I:? Do my system
wrong?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

SP2 is just creating a temporary file so don't be concerned
as SP2 will install on you C: drive. After installation,
SP2 will perform a cleanup and delete the temporary file.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Jimmy Chan" wrote:

| Hi
|
| I downloaded the FULL Windows XP2 from the net (266MB)
|
| And then try to install it, but after double-click the exe, I discovered it
| will extract to I: driver not is C: driver, do it is general?
|
| My HDD is C: primary, installed XP, I: is my second HDD's primary partition,
| I am wonder why SP2 will not extract to C:, just extract to I:? Do my system
| wrong?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Where it extracts to is irrelevant. It will usually extract to
whatever hard drive has the most available space. It will install over
the existing win XP installation (usually C).

Jerry

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:23:06 +0800, "Jimmy Chan" <jimmy@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I downloaded the FULL Windows XP2 from the net (266MB)
>
>And then try to install it, but after double-click the exe, I discovered it
>will extract to I: driver not is C: driver, do it is general?
>
>My HDD is C: primary, installed XP, I: is my second HDD's primary partition,
>I am wonder why SP2 will not extract to C:, just extract to I:? Do my system
>wrong?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

thx for your answer :)
"Jimmy Chan" <jimmy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I downloaded the FULL Windows XP2 from the net (266MB)
>
> And then try to install it, but after double-click the exe, I discovered
> it will extract to I: driver not is C: driver, do it is general?
>
> My HDD is C: primary, installed XP, I: is my second HDD's primary
> partition, I am wonder why SP2 will not extract to C:, just extract to I:?
> Do my system wrong?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts