conroe to start the downlfall of amd?

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
amd have had to work hard to slowly get there market share up having the best cpu's for a long time now.
but what will happen when core2duo is released. they beat amd in its best area(gaming) and also now beat it in price/performance and in power consumption. the 3 things amd beat the pentium4/d in.
amd is releasing 65nm cpu's towards the end of the year but intel beat them to that by almost a year with that and these wont offer much better performance.
when quad core comes out amd will still have the same architecture that isnt as good as intels.
there only solution is adding more cores eg. 4x4 which will be expensive, use heaps of power and may make no improvements in most areas.
I am saying this and i am an amd fan.

whats everyone's thoughts??????

woda

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Absolutely. Intel has obviously put a beat-down so thoroughly and decisively upon AMD that they will be unable to recover in the next 7 or 8 years. And from what I read in this morning's Wall Street Journal, AMD will begin converting their processing plants into facilities for manufacturing the little red flags that go on mailboxes starting this September.

It was a good run while it lasted, though. Farewell, AMD.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

I think you don't need to open a thread for every crap that comes into your mind. Just don't.

There will be no downfall for AMD. AMD has been the little guy playing keep up since day 1 of their existence, and look at them now. How is Intel taking the lead again going to be AMD's downfall??

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Criminey, not another one!
This flamebait topic has already been thoroughly "discussed" on the forum.
Move along, nothing to see here.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
amd have had to work hard to slowly get there market share up having the best cpu's for a long time now.
but what will happen when core2duo is released. they beat amd in its best area(gaming) and also now beat it in price/performance and in power consumption. the 3 things amd beat the pentium4/d in.
amd is releasing 65nm cpu's towards the end of the year but intel beat them to that by almost a year with that and these wont offer much better performance.
when quad core comes out amd will still have the same architecture that isnt as good as intels.
there only solution is adding more cores eg. 4x4 which will be expensive, use heaps of power and may make no improvements in most areas.

Simpe answer. NO!!!! AMD isnt going anywhere. if they can turn on reverse hyperthreading we may see an FX62 wih less than 20s SuperPi. Maybe even a 5000+

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
My take is that if AMD has been destroyed, Intel will go back to their lackadasical approach to CPUs not offering much performance gains with each new chip...

AMD spurred Intel to give us Conroe.... Hopefully now Intel will spur AMD to hhave K8L and k10 out sooner.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Simpe answer. NO!!!! AMD isnt going anywhere. if they can turn on reverse hyperthreading we may see an FX62 wih less than 20s SuperPi. Maybe even a 5000+
If you are talking about SuperPi 512K, than both will do it for less than 20s. For the SPi1M they will need K8 at 3.8GHz-4GHz with DDR-500 CL2.5 or DDR2-1000 CL5.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I do hope Intel does great this round,
and that AMD will have to come up with something better than what intel is offering, but until that time, there is no way in hell i'd get an AMD processor ... I am not a fanboy of AMD or Intel, i just want my $$$ to go far when i purchase a processor.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If you are talking about SuperPi 512K, than both will do it for less than 20s. For the SPi1M they will need K8 at 3.8GHz-4GHz with DDR-500 CL2.5 or DDR2-1000 CL5.

Says you.

Oh geez, here we go with another AMD is gonna $hit the bed because cornrow is the bestest-bestest-bestest-that-ever-was-processor...and like adding that you're an AMD fan is going to make your this tripe seem any more noteworthy...puh-leez...you know, sometimes it's best to NOT always speak what's on your mind!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

Says you.
DFI LanParty NF4 Rev A3
Opteron 146 Venus @ 3650MHz (365x10) 1.725v
2x512MB Geil One(Winbound BH-5) PC3200 @ 520MHz CL 2 2-2-3 CR1 3.8v
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=70262

DryIce cooled

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=227039jf.jpg

If this can make it SuperPi 1M for 22.703, why not to expect to do it 20s at 4GHz?

Weirdo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Ok so just because a competitor gained ground for a few months over the other, that means the end of loser? If that was the case, who would have died first, ATI or Nvidia? Heck, 3dfx would still be around then because Voodoo's murdered their competitors in their day.

And about Intel beating AMD to 65nm being a big deal? you kidding? Intel beat AMD to 90nm AND 130 too but that didnt stop AMD from kicking Intel's ass up and down with a wet noodle, AMD's 130's murdered Intel's 90's and until conroe comes out, AMD's 90's are murdering Intel's 65's. The dye size means squat when comparing two different company's solutions.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
No, AMD is not going to just roll over and die because Intel will have a better processor. They have had better processors before and AMD didn't die. Please stop bringing this up.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Okay this has been discussed so many times ago. True the Conroe would muscle AMD's upcoming chip but it's not gonna be the end of them. This cycle repeats just like a wheel when ones on top and the other down the bottom. AMD has been taking charge for what, the last 2-3 years when Intel's chip focused on the Ghz barrier. Sure Conroe is going to be the best cpu that would come out and would reign the rest of this year and sometime to come. Don't underestimate AMD's plan as well for they're gonna have some bad ass 65nm version of their own to launch. I like this stuff when new architecture comes out and pushes the other to further more be competitive and produces a better version. I consider myself an enthusiast and I've been using both AMD and Intel eversince when I first purchased my own 533Mhz Pentium Hawlett Packard back in 1996. It was awesome then and for all those years I've seen so many improvements on the cpu architecture and performance. I'm planning to ugrade on Conroe next year and hoping AMD would have something to equall it if not surpasses. Bottom line is Conroe will dominate next for many months to come and AMD would still be standing.

RichPLS

Champion
The thing is that with Intel, they test and set chip stock speeds at over 20% below what they could easily clock them at, and have for years, thus making them far overclockable compared to the competition...
AMD on the other hand, clocks chips much higher to their failure point, and this leaves less overclock in them for the consumer...

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

Hey Giraffe, get you head out of the trees and read the thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Speculative-Multithreading-CPU-AMD-ftopict186197.html
CON-roe is toast!!

Weirdo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Okay this has been discussed so many times ago. True the Conroe would muscle AMD's upcoming chip but it's not gonna be the end of them. This cycle repeats just like a wheel when ones on top and the other down the bottom. AMD has been taking charge for what, the last 2-3 years when Intel's chip focused on the Ghz barrier. Sure Conroe is going to be the best cpu that would come out and would reign the rest of this year and sometime to come. Don't underestimate AMD's plan as well for they're gonna have some bad ass 65nm version of their own to launch. I like this stuff when new architecture comes out and pushes the other to further more be competitive and produces a better version. I consider myself an enthusiast and I've been using both AMD and Intel eversince when I first purchased my own 533Mhz Pentium Hawlett Packard back in 1996. It was awesome then and for all those years I've seen so many improvements on the cpu architecture and performance. I'm planning to ugrade on Conroe next year and hoping AMD would have something to equall it if not surpasses. Bottom line is Conroe will dominate next for many months to come and AMD would still be standing.

I too have had my fair share of Intel's and AMD, my favorite brand is re-evaulated with each generation it seems like (from personal, hands on use, not because of what some benchmarks say). I was not a fan of AMD until the Athlon XP came out, the Duron's gave me nightmares, used P2's and P3's until then, then when P4 with HT came out, tried it, didnt mind it but it didnt take long for the first Athlon 64 to come out, got me a 2800+ of that and I have been continually upgrading that socket number (754) to this day, where I have now reached it's CPU limit with the 3700+. Its now time to start looking for a new socket number for me :D I will probably stay with AMD but I will take a serious look into Conroe.

I could name every CPU I have ran since the beginning, starting with a Pentium w/MMX 333MHz and my classic Diamond Monster Fusion 3D Card w/4MB of VRAM (which I still have).

Still, it does not mean that AMD is going to die, AMD's Opteron cpu's are very popular with servers, even if AMD's desktop line complete dies (which wont happen), they will have Opteron's to support them for a while.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
FFS!!!!! If you lot keep moaning about this topic being reposted again, and again, and again...........THEN STOP BEING SO TUNNEL VISSIONED AND DUMB AND DONT REPLY TO IT!!! It will go away alout quicker, if 1 person stops arguing, the other will giv up because they are bored, eg if AMD fanboys keep stum, INTEL fanboys will get bored and leave, Thus making AMD fanboys feel as if they have won becuase they made the opposition walk away.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I could name every CPU I have ran since the beginning, starting with a Pentium w/MMX 333MHz and my classic Diamond Monster Fusion 3D Card w/4MB of VRAM (which I still have).

My first computer was 66MHz with 8MB of RAM and no video card. That was just my first personal computer. The first computer I ever used was a dual 5.25" floppy Apple II. The good old days of Oregon Trail and Conan.

Weirdo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
THEN STOP BEING SO TUNNEL VISSIONED AND DUMB AND DONT REPLY TO IT!!!

ok... wait... let me get this right... you REPLIED to just tell everyone to stop replying....... maybe if YOU wouldnt have replied, it would have gone away that much faster... genious dude... genious...

TRENDING THREADS