PrintServer Question

terry

Hi,

I am planning on having 2 USB printers as network printer. The USB
print servers I found all have just one USB port. My question is: if I
connect 2 USB printers to a USB hub and have the hub connected to the
print server, will I be able to see both printers on the network? Or do
I need one print server for each printer?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Terry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning on having 2 USB printers as network printer. The USB
> print servers I found all have just one USB port. My question is: if
> I connect 2 USB printers to a USB hub and have the hub connected to
> the print server, will I be able to see both printers on the network?
> Or do I need one print server for each printer?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

There can be only one - the server is assigned the unique IP address
that allows the connected printer to be uniquely identified.

Hi Terry

> do
> I need one print server for each printer?

Yes.

-- stan

In article <MPG.1cbb5ecb58f1525d9896b2@news.tc.umn.edu>, Terry wrote:

> I am planning on having 2 USB printers as network printer. The USB
> print servers I found all have just one USB port. My question is: if I
> connect 2 USB printers to a USB hub and have the hub connected to the
> print server, will I be able to see both printers on the network? Or do
> I need one print server for each printer?
>
> Thanks in advance!

There are certainly print servers out there with more than one USB port.
<http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10387994&loc=101&hdwt=22225&sp=1>,
e.g., has 1 parallel and 2 USB ports. I can't speak to how well it works,
but I do have one on the way...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Terry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am planning on having 2 USB printers as network printer. The USB
> print servers I found all have just one USB port. My question is: if I
> connect 2 USB printers to a USB hub and have the hub connected to the
> print server, will I be able to see both printers on the network? Or do
> I need one print server for each printer?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

I have a D-Link DP300U (2-parallel, 1-usb) which uses ports 9100..9102. I
was tempted to try exactly what you propose. D-Link warns that plugging
anything except a usb printer into the usb port may do damage not covered
by the warranty.

I suppose connecting a hub that is powered from the usb port might cause
damage. Seems like a self-powered hub (and yet another power supply) would
be safe, but I decided to skip the experiment.

Roby

Quaoar wrote:

> There can be only one - the server is assigned the unique IP address
> that allows the connected printer to be uniquely identified.

That's not quite true. If you look at something like the HP jetDirect
500X which is their old 3 port parallel print server then the box had
one IP address but the ports were numbered 9100, 9101 and 9102 so you
could print to the same IP address just at different ports.

There are no USB print servers that I know about with more than one port
but it's definitely possible to do it. I'm sure it'll only be a mater of
time before they become available.

--
Mushroom

Hi Joshua

> There are certainly print servers out there with more than one USB port.
> <http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10387994&loc=101&hdwt=22225&sp=1>,
> e.g., has 1 parallel and 2 USB ports. I can't speak to how well it works,
> but I do have one on the way...

Thanks for the info about the existence of such a product.
Please let us know how it works out.

-- stan

I have a small network peer to peer network(Windows XP Pro) that uses
5 computers without a server, all my printers are in a different room
than my other computers.

I have one computer that I have 4 printers connected to using a usb
hub.
I share all the printers on the network and am able to print to all
printers from all computers. The only porblem I can see is there
might be a conflict if two people are try to print to different
printers on the same hub, haven't tried that yet.