Paid $500 for this Gaming Rig.

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Cpu:Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Socket 478
Mobo:Soltek SL-865Pro2-FGR
Mem:G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Viedo:Bfg Tech 6800GT OC AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 370Core Clock 1000Memory
Hdd:160gb Sata 150
Drives:philips Dvd-RW
Psu:LOGISYS ATX12V 480W Power Supply With SATA
CaseThermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Please tell what you think of my gaming rig. My best friend is in the service and sold it to.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Good deal to me! The system I currently use is vey similar to yours but I paid a much higher price (about $2,500 back in 2004). I have upgraded some things over the years (such as video) and mine has been very reliable and performed well. I'll bet yours will too. :) Even today, your parts would probabally would run a couple hundred dollars more than what you paid so you've got a great deal. The only downside (for both of us) is that it is a socket 478 and uses AGP so it doesn't provide many upgrade options.

mpjesse

Splendid
chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Actually, yes he did, but with another title, "New gaming rig" or something.
It seems that when somebody told him "Man, great deal for $500!" he decided to re-post it. :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
dearest comrade, the Prescott is a solid performing chip with decent overclocking potential... and for $500 for the complete PC plus the OS, that is a deal any way you look at it...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
dearest comrade, the Prescott is a solid performing chip with decent overclocking potential... and for $500 for the complete PC plus the OS, that is a deal any way you look at it...
It's a great deal, and it will blow away any Dell that you can get for $500. The Prescott is a fast (and hot) CPU, and the 6800GT is still a nice card. The 2GB of RAM is just icing on the cake. Overall, it's a very good deal for the components that you got. And PLEASE don't start any new threads about it.

Leto_Atreides

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Hmm, I own a 3.2ghz with HT and it's nothing special, in fact I hate it, it gets wooped so bad by pretty much any AMD cpu in chess. Don't get fooled by the HT (hyperthreading), it's worthless. HT is basically a cheap and weak imitation of dual cores.

Also, like you, I am the unfortunate owner of an AGP 8x card. Mines an ATI X800 Pro, and apparently AGP is useless these days as it is being phased out by PCI-Express, yea it's crazy I never thought I'd hear the day that AGP gets replaced by PCI but it's happening, there's only like a couple recent motherboards out there that supports AGP 8x.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to get rid of this junk, hopefully someone will be dumb enough to buy it on Ebay so that I can get a Conroe next month.

Leto_Atreides

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Hmm, I own a 3.2ghz with HT and it's nothing special, in fact I hate it, it gets wooped so bad by pretty much any AMD cpu in chess.
Does it get whooped at Solitaire too? :roll:

Don't know, I don't play solitaire. One other thing I hate about my 3.2ghz Prescott with HT is that whenever I need to send a midi to my casio keyboard, I need to disable HT to do it. That'd be fine if I could keep HT disabled, but the computer gets so sluggish you'd be forced to turn it back on after you're done sending midi's.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Hmm, I own a 3.2ghz with HT and it's nothing special, in fact I hate it, it gets wooped so bad by pretty much any AMD cpu in chess. Don't get fooled by the HT (hyperthreading), it's worthless. HT is basically a cheap and weak imitation of dual cores.

I totally agree that hyperthreading sucks compared to dual core, but back in the old socket 478 days, which his system is, there wasn't a dual core option (that came later on socket 775 for Intel). It does improve multitasking performance so it can be a good thing, but it is hardly worth the extra money on today's dual core systems.