Do I need Outlook?

November 24, 2004 12:27:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The manual for my Pocket PC says:

"Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft Outlook
installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the Companion CD,
install Outlook from the Companion CD."

Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it and
it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any problems if
I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?

Marcus

More about : outlook

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Outlook is required to sync the PIM data and email using the default apps.

Outlook express cannot be used to sync PIM data or email with the
default apps.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

oh... also, please don't cross post as it significantly increases the
workload for those who answer most of the questions here.

pick a section and if you would get a better response in another section
you will be directed there... for general issues such as this question,
microsoft.public.pocketpc would be appropriate.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
November 24, 2004 12:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You can use SyncExpress or Intellisync to synchronize your OE Inbox and Address Book. You would
still need Outlook if you want to sync Calendar, Notes and Tasks...

http://www.syncdata.it
http://www.sync.com/is_desktop_main.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Marcus Fox" <please-reply-via-newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com> wrote in message
> The manual for my Pocket PC says:
>
> "Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft Outlook
> installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
> version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the Companion CD,
> install Outlook from the Companion CD."
>
> Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it and
> it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any problems if
> I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?
>
> Marcus

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 12:09:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <kXNod.313$Z_6.104@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, please-reply-via-
newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com says...
> The manual for my Pocket PC says:
>
> "Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft Outlook
> installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
> version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the Companion CD,
> install Outlook from the Companion CD."
>
> Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it and
> it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any problems if
> I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?

Well I didn't have any problems. You only need Outlook if you want to
synch PIM data. If you just want to use the desktop PC to install
programs on your PPC then just install Activesynch.
November 26, 2004 7:58:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Also, you CAN still chose to use OE as your email client on the PC even with
OL installed. Just go into control panel and set OE as the default mail
program.

There is also supposedly a hack to get OE to share the OL address book. I
had it working on prior Windows versions and prior OL versions, but it
doesn't seem to work with WinXP and OL2003. I haven't had time to dig more
into the details, but if anyone else has done it, I'd love to know.

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

"Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message
> In article <kXNod.313$Z_6.104@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, please-reply-via-
> newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com says...
>> The manual for my Pocket PC says:
>>
>> "Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft Outlook
>> installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
>> version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the Companion
>> CD,
>> install Outlook from the Companion CD."
>>
>> Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it
>> and
>> it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any problems
>> if
>> I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?
>
> Well I didn't have any problems. You only need Outlook if you want to
> synch PIM data. If you just want to use the desktop PC to install
> programs on your PPC then just install Activesynch.
November 26, 2004 7:58:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Sharing Address Information
In Outlook Express
Address|Tools|Options
Share contact information.....

Terry
"Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
> Also, you CAN still chose to use OE as your email client on the PC even
> with OL installed. Just go into control panel and set OE as the default
> mail program.
>
> There is also supposedly a hack to get OE to share the OL address book. I
> had it working on prior Windows versions and prior OL versions, but it
> doesn't seem to work with WinXP and OL2003. I haven't had time to dig more
> into the details, but if anyone else has done it, I'd love to know.
>
> --
> Tim Nicholson
> tim@pdainfosource.com
> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>

> "Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message
>> In article <kXNod.313$Z_6.104@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, please-reply-via-
>> newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com says...
>>> The manual for my Pocket PC says:
>>>
>>> "Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft
>>> Outlook
>>> installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
>>> version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the Companion
>>> CD,
>>> install Outlook from the Companion CD."
>>>
>>> Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it
>>> and
>>> it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any problems
>>> if
>>> I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?
>>
>> Well I didn't have any problems. You only need Outlook if you want to
>> synch PIM data. If you just want to use the desktop PC to install
>> programs on your PPC then just install Activesynch.

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:30:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Terry,

That only applies to Outlook 2000 or 98.

Here is the registry hack for Outlook 2003/2002...

http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm

--

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message news:o Y7GTd40EHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sharing Address Information
> In Outlook Express
> Address|Tools|Options
> Share contact information.....
>
> Terry
> "Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
>> Also, you CAN still chose to use OE as your email client on the PC even
>> with OL installed. Just go into control panel and set OE as the default
>> mail program.
>>
>> There is also supposedly a hack to get OE to share the OL address book. I
>> had it working on prior Windows versions and prior OL versions, but it
>> doesn't seem to work with WinXP and OL2003. I haven't had time to dig more
>> into the details, but if anyone else has done it, I'd love to know.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Nicholson
>> tim@pdainfosource.com
>> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>>

>> "Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message
>>> In article <kXNod.313$Z_6.104@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, please-reply-via-
>>> newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com says...

>>> Well I didn't have any problems. You only need Outlook if you want to
>>> synch PIM data. If you just want to use the desktop PC to install
>>> programs on your PPC then just install Activesynch.

November 26, 2004 3:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Al,
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't upgraded from 2000 yet so it will be
helpful when I do.
Terry

> Terry,
>
> That only applies to Outlook 2000 or 98.
>
> Here is the registry hack for Outlook 2003/2002...
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o Y7GTd40EHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Sharing Address Information
>> In Outlook Express
>> Address|Tools|Options
>> Share contact information.....
>>
>> Terry
>> "Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
>>> Also, you CAN still chose to use OE as your email client on the PC even
>>> with OL installed. Just go into control panel and set OE as the default
>>> mail program.
>>>
>>> There is also supposedly a hack to get OE to share the OL address book.
>>> I had it working on prior Windows versions and prior OL versions, but it
>>> doesn't seem to work with WinXP and OL2003. I haven't had time to dig
>>> more into the details, but if anyone else has done it, I'd love to know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tim Nicholson
>>> tim@pdainfosource.com
>>> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>>>

>>> "Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:04:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Oh, that works like a Champ! I must have upgraded OL or OE or something at
some point and had forgotten how I did that. Thanks a ton, life is good now
:-)

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com

> Terry,
>
> That only applies to Outlook 2000 or 98.
>
> Here is the registry hack for Outlook 2003/2002...
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o Y7GTd40EHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Sharing Address Information
>> In Outlook Express
>> Address|Tools|Options
>> Share contact information.....
>>
>> Terry
>> "Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
>>> Also, you CAN still chose to use OE as your email client on the PC even
>>> with OL installed. Just go into control panel and set OE as the default
>>> mail program.
>>>
>>> There is also supposedly a hack to get OE to share the OL address book.
>>> I had it working on prior Windows versions and prior OL versions, but it
>>> doesn't seem to work with WinXP and OL2003. I haven't had time to dig
>>> more into the details, but if anyone else has done it, I'd love to know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tim Nicholson
>>> tim@pdainfosource.com
>>> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>>>

>>> "Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:28:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

message news:%23j6qxTa0EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> oh... also, please don't cross post as it significantly increases the
> workload for those who answer most of the questions here.
>
> pick a section and if you would get a better response in another section
> you will be directed there... for general issues such as this question,
> microsoft.public.pocketpc would be appropriate.
>

> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Looks like the self-appointed Usenet police have awoken.

S.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:28:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

At least Bev provided a useful response to the question, as well as a
suggestion for more efficient use of the groups. You on the other hand, who
have been sleeping for four days, have not.
--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"S." <noemail770@noemail.com> wrote in message

> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:%23j6qxTa0EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > oh... also, please don't cross post as it significantly increases the
> > workload for those who answer most of the questions here.
> >
> > pick a section and if you would get a better response in another section
> > you will be directed there... for general issues such as this question,
> > microsoft.public.pocketpc would be appropriate.
> >

> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>

> Looks like the self-appointed Usenet police have awoken.
>
> S.

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:37:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Marcus Fox" <please-reply-via-newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com> wrote in

> The manual for my Pocket PC says:
>
> "Caution - Before installation, make sure that you have Microsoft
Outlook
> installed on your desktop computer. If you do not have Outlook or your
> version of Outlook is earlier than the version provided on the
Companion CD,
> install Outlook from the Companion CD."
>
> Now - I'd rather not put Outlook on my computer at all, I don't use it
and
> it tries to take over from Outlook Express. But will I have any
problems if
> I install my Pocket PC without first installing Outlook?
>
> Marcus

No, you don't need Outlook. If you have another PIM, like Lotus or
whatever, you can still sync those PIM-data with for instance Intellisync
without the need to install Outlook first. If the PIM you use is
supported by a synching programm of course.

I sync my PIM data perfectly with Lotus organizer, which I am used to use
for longtime now, without syncing to Outlook. But you still need
Activesync active to set up the connection still....

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:32:10 PM

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I sync my PIM data perfectly with Lotus organizer, which I am used to use
> for longtime now, without syncing to Outlook. But you still need
> Activesync active to set up the connection still....
Which sync program do you use for Lotus Organizer?
Will it cater for multiple address sections?
Will it allow diary sync. from a given date - ie. ignoring old data?

Chris
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:33:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

*if* he has slept for four days that is now a crime? How is it relevant for
you to comment on such things? As an example I have a neighbour who hasn't
been seen for 5 days. His wife has been taken to Hospital- there are things
more important than the newsgroups and it puts you in a poor light to
criticise others for non-participation for a time- there are lots of valid
reasons for this- unless we have to book absences in advance with you first?

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> At least Bev provided a useful response to the question, as well as a
> suggestion for more efficient use of the groups. You on the other hand,
who
> have been sleeping for four days, have not.
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "S." <noemail770@noemail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> > message news:%23j6qxTa0EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > oh... also, please don't cross post as it significantly increases the
> > > workload for those who answer most of the questions here.
> > >
> > > pick a section and if you would get a better response in another
section
> > > you will be directed there... for general issues such as this
question,
> > > microsoft.public.pocketpc would be appropriate.
> > >

> > > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
> >

> > Looks like the self-appointed Usenet police have awoken.
> >
> > S.

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:23:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Chris Watts" <ng@ctwatts.plus.com> wrote in news:ureqNBM1EHA.2180
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> Which sync program do you use for Lotus Organizer?
Intellisync V5.03

> Will it cater for multiple address sections?
No, unfortunately not. You'll have to choose a section when more than one
is available.

> Will it allow diary sync. from a given date - ie. ignoring old data?
Yes, that's no problem at all.

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
December 10, 2004 2:13:13 PM

Can something similar be done if 5 users on a PDA want to
share the same unique diary?

Thanks in advance.

AMIT.....

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

!