omega244

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Here is my computer setup: AMD 2500+ barton, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC 3200 Dual Channel, XFX GeForce 6800 128MB, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer, (2) 80GB WD800JD in Raid0, and Antec true power 480.

This CPU has been one of the best overclockers for me that I have ever had. I am able to just change the FSB to 200 MHz and it works perfectly. Did not have to change the multiplyer or the voltage. I even had the FSB upto 225 MHz @ X10 with no voltage change and it POSTed but would not boot to windows. The only thing wrong with this CPU is that it has alway ran hot. Right now sitting in windows running Prime 95 for its 3rd day in a row Temps are around 61-62 degs C. I am only using the stock cpu fan/heatsink. So I am wondering if anyone could tell me if this is too high of a temp or if I am still safe. I have (3) 80mm case fans running and the tower is tipped on its side with no side pannel.

I have been thinking about getting a water cooling kit but not really sure which one. I would prefer to build my own so could someone tell me a good site to get parts.

On a side note my 6800 I have overclocked from 325/750 to 410/820 and while playing Age of Empires III the temps climbed to 78 deg C. That was with the stock cooler. I put on a Zalman cooler which was on my Geforce 4 TI4800 and now the temps are about 56-60deg C while playing. anyone have any input on if that is still too hot either?

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
1)CPU temp question

61-62'C is on the hot end, it is running close to the specifications, however, my old computer has a processor that ran at similar temps and is still running nearly 4 years on (it was built by a company so I take no responsibility for those temps). You'll probably get tonnes of people say it's too hot and will probably kill you but remember that your processor is still running under spec temperature. Also, there is always a factor of safety built in to these spec values. You might find that your processor life will decrease but your processor is quite old (but perfectly usable), by the time it fails you'll probably be looking for your next computer (or another componenet in the computer will have failed already)

As a point of reference, you can find your processor's specific spec temp from this: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU%20Temperatures.shtml
85'C shows that you've actually got quite a bit of head room.

2)Your graphics card temperature is fine, most people like to keep below 80'C but the card only starts throttling at a boiling 115'C!

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I have a 2400+ and with fsb @ 149, but with multiplier set lower to a speed of 1850 (instead of the default 2000) it's now running on the high side of 50 under load. Stock heatsink and bigger fan.
If I were to set it back above 2GHz, it would run well above 60, maybe even reaching 70 if I overclocked it a bit more. Yet, it's still working after 3 years.

omega244

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks guys. I was planning on getting an X2 4400 but since they say AMD is taking all the 1mb cache CPUs and putting them towards the opterons I doubt that I will be able to get one which is no big deal. Might have to switch to Intel for their 805.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Like said, that temp is a bit high but not too much to worry about. I wouldn't bother with a water cooling kit for that particular machine. Just get a decent air cooler for $25 and you should be able to get the temps down 10 degrees without much effort, and to be honest you might be able to get the temp down by just making sure you have proper air flow in the case. If you could get the temp down in the 50's under load with the cooler you have, I wouldn't bother changing it.

linux_0

Splendid
Thanks guys. I was planning on getting an X2 4400 but since they say AMD is taking all the 1mb cache CPUs and putting them towards the opterons I doubt that I will be able to get one which is no big deal. Might have to switch to Intel for their 805.

I would advise against an 805, if you think your K7 is running hot wait till you've tried an 805.

It runs hot and consumes a lot of power.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
The loss of cache hardly impacts performance, so the performance between the 4200+ (which is available) and the 4400+ (which is, yet limited supply) is not noticeable at all, and if you find someone who can, politely ask whether they are medication. lol, jk, but the difference is just that small. I wouldn't switch to Intel just because of that.

Back to the topic, you have room to OC...If you would like, you could invest in the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (~$25) for lower temps...Stock'll do fine here and then some.

~Ibrahim~

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Back to the topic, you have room to OC...If you would like, you could invest in the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (~$25) for lower temps...
~Ibrahim~

get one. they are as good as some watercooling kits.
my 3700+ runs at 2.8 under full load at 47c (36c idle) with one.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yes, it is an amazing cooler. Performs just like those overpriced Zalman's, at nearly half the price! Arctic Cooling is mainly known for it's GPU coolers, but everyone seems to forget that they make CPU coolers!

~Ibrahim~

weilin

Distinguished
The Temp Cap if Bartons were rated at 80 C so you still got some headroom. The Athlon XP Barton 130nm series was a tad bit warmer than today's 90nm processors. I Own 2 myself and have built 4 for others and have found that Athlon Xps under stock fans will reach 55-60 C if they r the 2400+ model or above. The older ones with the 180nm process were even worse. At 60, its a tad on the hot side but nothing you should really be really overly worried about. Now if it breaks 70, then you might want to take a second look at it.

My 2 cents.

BTW 80C was just off the top of my head, it was 80-85C on the AMD spec sheets, if you want i can link the page to u.