• CPUs
  • DDR2
  • DDR3
  • Support
  • Socket
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2006 7:51:38 PM

Can conroe only support DDR2 memory because it uses an existing socket? AM3 K8L will support DDR3, this can be expected in january!

Is this a major downfall to conroe in any way?

More about : am3 support ddr3 conroe

June 21, 2006 7:58:43 PM

No because it couldnt use that much bandwidth.
June 21, 2006 8:01:17 PM

I wouldn't count on it :roll:
Related resources
June 21, 2006 8:03:06 PM

so is this a downfall for conroe?

If I'm looking for the most futureproof computer would buying conroe shortly after release do me good?
June 21, 2006 8:03:32 PM

No, but it may be for AMD, since DDR3 might be more costly and in short supply... *wait, so is AMD chips so strike the supply issue!* :wink:
June 21, 2006 8:13:25 PM

Considering it is isn't out and probably wont be out till next year some time, no not a downfall.
June 21, 2006 8:13:50 PM

futureproof as in upgradable...

How further can we expect LGA775 to go?

I'm talking in terms of compatibility with vista for example... Should conroe and DDR2 be able to keep us up to date for years to come?
June 21, 2006 8:16:21 PM

I wasnt aware that AMDs current line up could use DDR3.
June 21, 2006 8:18:36 PM

I wasn't aware DDR3 RAM is commercially available.
June 21, 2006 8:20:09 PM

Quote:

DDR2 and DDR3 are pin compatible so AM2's IMC can most likely suport DDR3.
June 21, 2006 8:21:43 PM

it isnt... but in January AMD plan to use it on the AM3 on K8L

but for conroe I believe it can never happen, unless a socket change?

Does it really matter?
June 21, 2006 8:23:53 PM

IF they are pin compatable, why would Intel need a socket change to support DDR3? Then why not AMD?
June 21, 2006 8:29:44 PM

well not a downfall to conroe then...

but is it forseeable that DDR3 will take over within the next year?

or should I just stfu and get a conroe setup in august and be happy?
June 21, 2006 8:30:39 PM

Just stfu and get a conroe setup in august and be happy! :twisted:
June 21, 2006 8:34:15 PM

:)  jumping on the intel boat for once...

off topic: stranger! SCOTLAND, whereabouts in scotland? I'm in glasgow.
June 21, 2006 8:50:44 PM

Quote:
with DDR2 just getting going i can't see DDR3 suddenly jumping into the mainstream. in a couple of years maybe but for now i think its DDR2 turn in the spotlight.

I agree. DDR was around a long time before DDR2 started taking the spotlight. Even then, it was a long time before it actually became mainstream. I believe anything you get with DDR2 will be just as upgradeable as the next thing when next year comes around. Maybe even a year after that. I say, don't worry about future-proof. Buy the most of what your budget affords, and be happy with it until you get the budget for a new comp. Then do the same. That way you save a lot of stress about these sort of things. Just get what's best at the time, then do the same later. Sure, it seems like a waste of money, but thats how computers go.

If you can't handle it, I recommend buying a wireless notebook.
a c 487 à CPUs
a b } Memory
June 21, 2006 8:58:56 PM

Quote:
so is this a downfall for conroe?

If I'm looking for the most futureproof computer would buying conroe shortly after release do me good?

No wait, hold your breath and wait. If you start turning blue then re-double your efforts and wait some more.

You need the "Son of Conroe" or the "Son of K8L" in order to have the most futureproof system you can possibly have. Yes, holding your breath for 2 to 4 year will have it's advantages.
June 21, 2006 9:25:51 PM

Quote:
with DDR2 just getting going i can't see DDR3 suddenly jumping into the mainstream. in a couple of years maybe but for now i think its DDR2 turn in the spotlight.

I know a couple of people in the RAM business that claim DDR3 will come on DDR2's heels. We'll see. Nothing to get worked up about.
June 21, 2006 9:35:44 PM

the support for memory on intel systems depends on the motherboard chipset.

thats why there are a few mobos out there that support DDR memory for LGA775. it all depends on the northbridge

so if they want conroe to support DDR3, all they do is make a new northbridge chipset and all you have to do is buy a mobo with that chipset.

but for amd, this usually requires a new socket because the memory controller is intergrated into the chip, correct me if im wrong
June 21, 2006 9:50:45 PM

Quote:
the support for memory on intel systems depends on the motherboard chipset.

thats why there are a few mobos out there that support DDR memory for LGA775. it all depends on the northbridge

so if they want conroe to support DDR3, all they do is make a new northbridge chipset and all you have to do is buy a mobo with that chipset.

but for amd, this usually requires a new socket because the memory controller is intergrated into the chip, correct me if im wrong

No your right. That's why only recently AMD went to ddr2 while Intel has been using it now for awhile.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ddr3 currently is still unstable. I think Intel is going to start using it in 2008 according to their roadmap. The tech specs that I've read on it are great, I'm looking forward to seeing it in computers.

If you want a new computer, buy one. They say if you keep waiting for a newer and better technology you'll never end up with anything. I hope I don't need to explain that.
June 21, 2006 10:03:49 PM

can u even buy DDR3 Memory?
June 21, 2006 10:18:46 PM

Quote:
No because it couldnt use that much bandwidth.

I think you may wrong. Conroe maybe will support DDR3. After Q2'07, Intel will come out a new chip (Bearlake) that support 1333Mhz FSB, come with new ICH9 design. It mat be support DDR2 & DDR3. Just like last time the 915 chip, it support DDR & DDR2.
June 21, 2006 10:55:24 PM

Quote:

Link?
June 21, 2006 10:57:28 PM

Meh, it couldnt use the extra bandwidth so the only advantages would be density and less power.
June 21, 2006 11:02:16 PM

Quote:
Meh, it couldnt use the extra bandwidth so the only advantages would be density and less power.

I'd say those are pretty good advantages in light of the new windows using many times the RAM just to sit there. It'd be nice to have some real high capacity (8gb?) sticks of ram in a normal computer. Eventually it'll happen, but I say "the sooner the better."

By the way, no source for that. I'm just sure it'll happen someday.
June 21, 2006 11:08:45 PM

The extra memory that vista uses is so blown out of proportion its not funny. Anyways DDR2 still has plenty of life left in it in aspects.
June 21, 2006 11:28:05 PM

Quote:

Link?

I have read that as well, but the final revision will have a different lead count as well the signaling will be without question significantly different making the current implementation of AMD's IMC useless as tits on a bull, no pun intended.
June 22, 2006 12:32:11 AM

Quote:

Does it really matter?

please don't mix up cpus, and sockets cause l8l, which will prolly
support ddr3 but thats on am2.... there different think before you post please

edit: this is true unless amd decides to come out with a new socket again.
June 22, 2006 1:16:47 AM

Can we see some engineering sample benchmarks at least before anything is said.................

No paper releases, please!!!!!!!!
June 22, 2006 2:05:25 AM

Hm.. well I've heard some stuff from the Woodcrest side of things and from what it looks like since DDR2 and DDR3 are pin compatible all you have to do for servers is change the voltage and flash your BIOS. I'm not sure if the desktop will be able to do this the same way but then again, they aren't out yet! As for AM3...WTF?!?!?! AM2 just came out and you're asking about AM3? One step at a time man, just wait to see if Intel says anything.
June 22, 2006 3:07:35 AM

Quote:

Link?

I have read that as well, but the final revision will have a different lead count as well the signaling will be without question significantly different making the current implementation of AMD's IMC useless as tits on a bull, no pun intended.

My knoledge of the subject is from a few months ago but apparently AMD's AM2 controller is ready for DDR2 and DDR3 already and AMD and Intel apparently have slightly different draft designs of the DDR3 interface. AMD's is completely compatible with current tech while Intel's changes a few pins and requires a mobo upgrade.
June 22, 2006 4:02:41 AM

AMD might not even remain profitable long enough to see AM3 with its price cuts... so why worry? :lol: 

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/financials.asp?...

Quote:
6/14/2006 Goldman Sachs In-Line Underperform Cites valuation

6/8/2006 Citigroup Investment Research Cuts 2006 and 2007 earnings estimates for chip maker and its rival Intel, citing concerns about the second-quarter microprocessor pricing environment
June 22, 2006 4:08:07 AM

Quote:

Link?

My knoledge of the subject is from a few months ago but apparently AMD's AM2 controller is ready for DDR2 and DDR3 already and AMD and Intel apparently have slightly different draft designs of the DDR3 interface. AMD's is completely compatible with current tech while Intel's changes a few pins and requires a mobo upgrade.

It most likely means its built in yes but working most likely no since DDR3 has yet to be "finalized". Now I have no doubt in my mind that in future steppings or even revisions, they will enable that memory interface. But the likelihood that current socket AM2 processors running DDR3 if it was currently available is highly unlikely.
June 22, 2006 4:19:08 AM

Quote:

Link?

It most likely means its built in yes but working most likely no since DDR3 has yet to be "finalized". Now I have no doubt in my mind that in future steppings or even revisions, they will enable that memory interface. But the likelihood that current socket AM2 processors running DDR3 if it was currently available is highly unlikely.

I totaly agree with this. (well at least pin incompatible) the reason they will do it is becouse you could potentialy have people sticking DDR3 ram into a mobo thats AM2 and wouldnt it fry the ram ? I think they may have to make DDR3 a different config too becouse there are too many people "Ohhh look it fits lets fire it up and see how much faster it goes !!! *sniff sniff* you smell something ?"
June 22, 2006 6:36:06 AM

Quote:

I agree. DDR was around a long time before DDR2 started taking the spotlight. Even then, it was a long time before it actually became mainstream.
You're forgetting that DDR2 was weaker in performance when it came out. It had a bit higher freqency, but that was countered by much higher latency and inefficiency at using it's potential bandwidth. Only recent 667 and higher freq rams started showing advantage over ddr400.
DDR3 however looks like it will have even higher frequencies (800-1600MHz), higher bandwidth and lower latencies.
June 22, 2006 9:38:20 AM

as I remember in INTEL type processing it is Chipset that control the RAM ... if intel make a DDR3 contoroler in a high speed chipset it is possible for all of LGA processors to use DDR3 . :wink:
June 22, 2006 9:51:14 AM

Quote:
as I remember in INTEL type processing it is Chipset that control the RAM ... if intel make a DDR3 contoroler in a high speed chipset it is possible for all of LGA processors to use DDR3 . :wink:
It's probably going to have a different pin count.

IE: SDRAM = 168 pins
DDR 1 = 184 pins
DDR 2 = 240 pins
DDR 3 = ??? pins

So, if DDR 3 has a different pin count, it isn't going to be compatable with current LGA775 motherboards. :wink:
June 22, 2006 10:53:04 AM

The first place were you can see DDR-3 are FB-DIMMs and both AMD socket F and Intel LGA771 could use it and both need a motherboard change to fit non buffered DDR-3 and AMD needs a processor change too , remember memory controler are in the chip not in the motherboard.

Another question: only 4 or more cores need more bandwich than DDR-2.
June 22, 2006 11:34:09 AM

I said months ago AMD would be using ddr3 soon and everyone told me I was looney.
June 22, 2006 12:46:14 PM

No one knows for sure whether K8L will use DDR3 or not, but it doesn't really make sense to jump from DDR2 to DDR3 soon. Besides, will it offer a tangible increase in performance? Not that increased density will hurt.
Also, the manufacters themselves said that they won't have consumer samples until Q2 2007..
June 22, 2006 1:12:54 PM

Quote:
does amd even have DDR2 working?

So you think the benchmarks on AM2 are fabricated? You can buy the stuff right now.
June 22, 2006 1:13:03 PM

conroe will support DDR666
June 22, 2006 3:58:25 PM

As I understand it higher Clockrates for Ram werent showing any signifigant improvment in benchmarks, so would DDR3 only have power, heat and latency as "real world" improvments? Would DDR3 make a mildly compeling reason for me to move to it on my next build (in 2010, dont ask) besides the fact my rig would be so outdated?
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2006 4:08:19 PM

i dont thing that the ddr3 thing is why you are called looney :lol: 
June 22, 2006 5:28:32 PM

Quote:
I said months ago AMD would be using ddr3 soon and everyone told me I was looney.
They were right. You are a looney.
June 22, 2006 5:37:51 PM

Quote:

Does it really matter?

January? Can you please give any link that definitively states that K8L will be out in January?

The roadmaps are very vague. Rumors range from July 24, 2006 to mid-2007 to early 2008 to sometime in 2025...
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!