AM3 will support DDR3, can conroe?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Can conroe only support DDR2 memory because it uses an existing socket? AM3 K8L will support DDR3, this can be expected in january!

Is this a major downfall to conroe in any way?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
so is this a downfall for conroe?

If I'm looking for the most futureproof computer would buying conroe shortly after release do me good?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
futureproof as in upgradable...

How further can we expect LGA775 to go?

I'm talking in terms of compatibility with vista for example... Should conroe and DDR2 be able to keep us up to date for years to come?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
it isnt... but in January AMD plan to use it on the AM3 on K8L

but for conroe I believe it can never happen, unless a socket change?

Does it really matter?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
well not a downfall to conroe then...

but is it forseeable that DDR3 will take over within the next year?

or should I just stfu and get a conroe setup in august and be happy?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
with DDR2 just getting going i can't see DDR3 suddenly jumping into the mainstream. in a couple of years maybe but for now i think its DDR2 turn in the spotlight.

I agree. DDR was around a long time before DDR2 started taking the spotlight. Even then, it was a long time before it actually became mainstream. I believe anything you get with DDR2 will be just as upgradeable as the next thing when next year comes around. Maybe even a year after that. I say, don't worry about future-proof. Buy the most of what your budget affords, and be happy with it until you get the budget for a new comp. Then do the same. That way you save a lot of stress about these sort of things. Just get what's best at the time, then do the same later. Sure, it seems like a waste of money, but thats how computers go.

If you can't handle it, I recommend buying a wireless notebook.

so is this a downfall for conroe?

If I'm looking for the most futureproof computer would buying conroe shortly after release do me good?

No wait, hold your breath and wait. If you start turning blue then re-double your efforts and wait some more.

You need the "Son of Conroe" or the "Son of K8L" in order to have the most futureproof system you can possibly have. Yes, holding your breath for 2 to 4 year will have it's advantages.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
with DDR2 just getting going i can't see DDR3 suddenly jumping into the mainstream. in a couple of years maybe but for now i think its DDR2 turn in the spotlight.

I know a couple of people in the RAM business that claim DDR3 will come on DDR2's heels. We'll see. Nothing to get worked up about.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
the support for memory on intel systems depends on the motherboard chipset.

thats why there are a few mobos out there that support DDR memory for LGA775. it all depends on the northbridge

so if they want conroe to support DDR3, all they do is make a new northbridge chipset and all you have to do is buy a mobo with that chipset.

but for amd, this usually requires a new socket because the memory controller is intergrated into the chip, correct me if im wrong

dragabain

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
the support for memory on intel systems depends on the motherboard chipset.

thats why there are a few mobos out there that support DDR memory for LGA775. it all depends on the northbridge

so if they want conroe to support DDR3, all they do is make a new northbridge chipset and all you have to do is buy a mobo with that chipset.

but for amd, this usually requires a new socket because the memory controller is intergrated into the chip, correct me if im wrong

No your right. That's why only recently AMD went to ddr2 while Intel has been using it now for awhile.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ddr3 currently is still unstable. I think Intel is going to start using it in 2008 according to their roadmap. The tech specs that I've read on it are great, I'm looking forward to seeing it in computers.

If you want a new computer, buy one. They say if you keep waiting for a newer and better technology you'll never end up with anything. I hope I don't need to explain that.

hiddendog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
No because it couldnt use that much bandwidth.

I think you may wrong. Conroe maybe will support DDR3. After Q2'07, Intel will come out a new chip (Bearlake) that support 1333Mhz FSB, come with new ICH9 design. It mat be support DDR2 & DDR3. Just like last time the 915 chip, it support DDR & DDR2.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Meh, it couldnt use the extra bandwidth so the only advantages would be density and less power.

I'd say those are pretty good advantages in light of the new windows using many times the RAM just to sit there. It'd be nice to have some real high capacity (8gb?) sticks of ram in a normal computer. Eventually it'll happen, but I say "the sooner the better."

By the way, no source for that. I'm just sure it'll happen someday.