dallas

I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a nasty
fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps off
performance.

Does anyone use frame rate friendly clouds? Is there a big difference in
appearance? If these are a good thing, what are the best ones to get?

Dallas

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a
nasty fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps
off
performance.

Dallas, I don't know how strongly to assert what I'm going to say, but
here it is. Peter Wilding's "Flight Environment" clouds seem to be just
as fps-friendly as the HiFPS clouds I was using before, and look a
thousand times better. I know there's no free lunch, and it does sound
too good to be true -- but that's been my experience so far. See the
AVSIM thread here for Wilding's explanation: http://tinyurl.com/8uys3

The other thing to do, if you're using ActiveSky, is to go into options
and limit the number of cloud layers (e.g., to 3).

Dallas,

Try filename hifpsv2.zip from Avsim by FSW Group. I've been using these
since noticing the same thing as you with the default clouds. These
replacements look good enough to me and they are frame rate friendly. I'm
using the option in the package of the DXT textures rather than the 32 bit
and to my eyes they're ok - but maybe I'm not fussy enough! :0))

Iain

> I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a nasty
> fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps off
> performance.
>
> Does anyone use frame rate friendly clouds? Is there a big difference in
> appearance? If these are a good thing, what are the best ones to get?
>
> Dallas

dallas

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> Peter Wilding's "Flight Environment" clouds seem to be just
> as fps-friendly as the HiFPS clouds I was using before, and look a
> thousand times better.

I know you love FE. I know Andrew Herd over at Flightsim.com loves FE.

But I swear, I've seen your screen shots, Andrew's screen shots and Peter's
screens shots and I keep saying to myself, "They don't look much different
than what what I'm used to."

I guess I'm going to have to let this sink in for a while.

The sunset shots however were off the hook!

Dallas

dallas

"Iain Smith"
> using the option in the package of the DXT textures rather than the 32 bit
> and to my eyes they're ok - but maybe I'm not fussy enough! :0))

I suspect you're fussy enough.. :)

thx.. I guess it wouldn't cost anything to find out.

Dallas