Low impact clouds?

I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a nasty
fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps off
performance.

Does anyone use frame rate friendly clouds? Is there a big difference in
appearance? If these are a good thing, what are the best ones to get?

Dallas
4 answers Last reply
More about impact clouds

    ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
    I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a
    nasty fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps
    off
    performance.

    Dallas, I don't know how strongly to assert what I'm going to say, but
    here it is. Peter Wilding's "Flight Environment" clouds seem to be just
    as fps-friendly as the HiFPS clouds I was using before, and look a
    thousand times better. I know there's no free lunch, and it does sound
    too good to be true -- but that's been my experience so far. See the
    AVSIM thread here for Wilding's explanation: http://tinyurl.com/8uys3

    The other thing to do, if you're using ActiveSky, is to go into options
    and limit the number of cloud layers (e.g., to 3).

    Dallas,

    Try filename hifpsv2.zip from Avsim by FSW Group. I've been using these
    since noticing the same thing as you with the default clouds. These
    replacements look good enough to me and they are frame rate friendly. I'm
    using the option in the package of the DXT textures rather than the 32 bit
    and to my eyes they're ok - but maybe I'm not fussy enough! :0))

    Iain

    > I've been paying attention to frame rates lately and my tests show a nasty
    > fps hit with clouds. An ActiveSky weatherscape can shave 10 fps off
    > performance.
    >
    > Does anyone use frame rate friendly clouds? Is there a big difference in
    > appearance? If these are a good thing, what are the best ones to get?
    >
    > Dallas

    "David Wilson-Okamura"
    > Peter Wilding's "Flight Environment" clouds seem to be just
    > as fps-friendly as the HiFPS clouds I was using before, and look a
    > thousand times better.

    I know you love FE. I know Andrew Herd over at Flightsim.com loves FE.

    But I swear, I've seen your screen shots, Andrew's screen shots and Peter's
    screens shots and I keep saying to myself, "They don't look much different
    than what what I'm used to."

    I guess I'm going to have to let this sink in for a while.

    The sunset shots however were off the hook!

    Dallas

    "Iain Smith"
    > using the option in the package of the DXT textures rather than the 32 bit
    > and to my eyes they're ok - but maybe I'm not fussy enough! :0))

    I suspect you're fussy enough.. :-)

    thx.. I guess it wouldn't cost anything to find out.

    Dallas

Microsoft FPS Video Games