Canon IP4000 vs HP Deskjet 6540 (I plan to refill my cartr..

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
pain. I would appreciate some advice.
11 answers Last reply
More about canon ip4000 deskjet 6540 plan refill cartr
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Canon is WAY easy and fast to refill, also a very fast and quiet printer.
    Takes me about 2 min per tank to refill and put back in the printer.

    <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    > I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    > importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
    > text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    > but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    > pain. I would appreciate some advice.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On 4 Apr 2005 19:27:55 -0700, techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    >I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
    >text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >pain. I would appreciate some advice.

    So you'd rather get ink all over your hands twice a week than pour a
    bottle of toner into the cartridge every other month?

    I get approximately 4,000 pages from an $18 bottle of toner. No way
    you xcan match that with inkjet.

    techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.

    Both models will produce similar results with text, graphics, and
    photos. Print quality is not an issue.

    >I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >importance.

    Canon is the obvious choice there - easiest to refill.

    > I also care about speed.

    Both print at about the same speed...it's not an issue.

    > I print mostly black and white
    >text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >pain. I would appreciate some advice.

    The Canon is easier to refill due to the ink tanks being easy to
    maintain. However, the printheads are not very durable and replacements
    cost almost as much as a new printer. If printhead life isn't a major
    factor, the Canon is the easier choice.

    I bought a Canon i850 two years ago because it was the easiest to
    refill. It printed well, but it failed FAR too early (just outside the
    warranty period) and was replaced with an HP 6540 that I expect to last
    much longer.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Dan G wrote:
    > Canon is WAY easy and fast to refill, also a very fast and quiet
    > printer. Takes me about 2 min per tank to refill and put back in the
    > printer.

    and these 2 min includes one beer in between... :-)

    > <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and
    >> Cannon. I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my
    >> utmost importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and
    >> white text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less
    >> per page, but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is
    >> too much of a pain. I would appreciate some advice.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    >I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
    >text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >pain. I would appreciate some advice.

    If you need to print in black & white, then there is NO WAY you can
    beat the cost per page of a laser printer! Using OEM cartridges with a
    typical HP printer would normally cost you no more than 2 cents per
    page.

    As far as Canon iP4000 vs HP, I would take Canon over HP any day of
    the week.

    Bill wrote:

    >techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    >>

    >Both models will produce similar results with text, graphics, and
    >photos. Print quality is not an issue.

    The edge goes to Canon IP4000 for Photos.

    >>I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >>importance.
    >>

    >Canon is the obvious choice there - easiest to refill.
    >

    >>I also care about speed.
    >>

    >Both print at about the same speed...it's not an issue.
    >

    > Canon IP4000 the fastest, by far
    >

    >>I print mostly black and white
    >>text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >>but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >>pain. I would appreciate some advice.
    >>

    >The Canon is easier to refill due to the ink tanks being easy to
    >maintain. However, the printheads are not very durable and replacements
    >cost almost as much as a new printer.

    Strong possibility many 3rd party ink shortens print head life.

    >If printhead life isn't a major
    >factor, the Canon is the easier choice.
    >
    >I bought a Canon i850 two years ago because it was the easiest to
    >refill. It printed well, but it failed FAR too early (just outside the
    >warranty period) and was replaced with an HP 6540 that I expect to last
    >much longer.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Andrew White wrote:
    > techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    >>I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >>importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
    >>text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >>but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >>pain. I would appreciate some advice.
    >

    > If you need to print in black & white, then there is NO WAY you can
    > beat the cost per page of a laser printer! Using OEM cartridges with a
    > typical HP printer would normally cost you no more than 2 cents per
    > page.
    >
    > As far as Canon iP4000 vs HP, I would take Canon over HP any day of
    > the week.

    trivia: just about all the major companies buy their printer engines
    (inkjet & laser) from Canon.

    My trusty old Epson prints for less than that, I paid $4-5 per 24ml
    cart, but now they're even cheaper, for black. At the std 5% coverage,
    Epson site sez I should print 4-500 pages, forgot the exact no., cuz
    it's unrealistic anyway, the 5% coverage. The average filled-out tax
    form is at least 10% coverage.

    If I were really ambitious, could drive 30 mi to the burbs, buy a whole
    pint (470ml) that's 19+ complete fills, for $21.95. (oddparts.com)

    my latest cheapie: 5 carts, black

    http://tinyurl.com/47cox
    private.abacus24-7.com

    189EVP5 Valu 5-Pak / S020189 black $5.95 5 Pack
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:43:50 -0400, Jon von Leipzig <JonL@myway.com>
    wrote:

    >Andrew White wrote:
    >> techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I need a new printer and I am currently deciding between HP and Cannon.
    >>>I plan to refill my cartridges, so ease of refilling is my utmost
    >>>importance. I also care about speed. I print mostly black and white
    >>>text, rarely any photos. Lasers may theoretically cost less per page,
    >>>but refilled ink costs even less and refilling toner is too much of a
    >>>pain. I would appreciate some advice.
    >>

    >> If you need to print in black & white, then there is NO WAY you can
    >> beat the cost per page of a laser printer! Using OEM cartridges with a
    >> typical HP printer would normally cost you no more than 2 cents per
    >> page.
    >>
    >> As far as Canon iP4000 vs HP, I would take Canon over HP any day of
    >> the week.
    >
    >trivia: just about all the major companies buy their printer engines
    >(inkjet & laser) from Canon.
    >
    >My trusty old Epson prints for less than that, I paid $4-5 per 24ml
    >cart, but now they're even cheaper, for black. At the std 5% coverage,
    >Epson site sez I should print 4-500 pages, forgot the exact no., cuz
    >it's unrealistic anyway, the 5% coverage. The average filled-out tax
    >form is at least 10% coverage.
    >
    >If I were really ambitious, could drive 30 mi to the burbs, buy a whole
    >pint (470ml) that's 19+ complete fills, for $21.95. (oddparts.com)
    >
    >my latest cheapie: 5 carts, black
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/47cox
    >private.abacus24-7.com
    >
    >189EVP5 Valu 5-Pak / S020189 black $5.95 5 Pack

    But they still smear when they get wet.

    My experience has been that it's far cleaner to refill a laser toner
    cartridge thanit is to refill an ink cartridge. I've done both, and
    there is no comparison. Of course, when the only tool you have is a
    hammer, all problems look like nails.

    How long does it take you to clean the print heads if the printer sets
    for a couple of weeks? My lasers are always ready.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:20:06 GMT, Bob Ward <bobward@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:43:50 -0400, Jon von Leipzig <JonL@myway.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew White wrote:

    >>> If you need to print in black & white, then there is NO WAY you can
    >>> beat the cost per page of a laser printer! Using OEM cartridges with a
    >>> typical HP printer would normally cost you no more than 2 cents per
    >>> page.
    >>>
    >>> As far as Canon iP4000 vs HP, I would take Canon over HP any day of
    >>> the week.
    >>
    >>trivia: just about all the major companies buy their printer engines
    >>(inkjet & laser) from Canon.
    >>
    >>My trusty old Epson prints for less than that, I paid $4-5 per 24ml
    >>cart, but now they're even cheaper, for black. At the std 5% coverage,
    >>Epson site sez I should print 4-500 pages, forgot the exact no., cuz
    >>it's unrealistic anyway, the 5% coverage. The average filled-out tax
    >>form is at least 10% coverage.
    >>
    >>If I were really ambitious, could drive 30 mi to the burbs, buy a whole
    >>pint (470ml) that's 19+ complete fills, for $21.95. (oddparts.com)
    >>
    >>my latest cheapie: 5 carts, black
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/47cox
    >>private.abacus24-7.com
    >>
    >>189EVP5 Valu 5-Pak / S020189 black $5.95 5 Pack
    >

    >But they still smear when they get wet.
    >
    >My experience has been that it's far cleaner to refill a laser toner
    >cartridge thanit is to refill an ink cartridge. I've done both, and
    >there is no comparison. Of course, when the only tool you have is a
    >hammer, all problems look like nails.
    >
    >How long does it take you to clean the print heads if the printer sets
    >for a couple of weeks? My lasers are always ready.

    More or less have to agree with Bob. I've got both and tho it takes
    me longer to replace my toner cartridge, I rarely do it (that is
    probably why it takes me longer because I forget how to do it just
    right). I may have to replace my toner cartridge once every 3 or 4
    years (of course it depends on how many pages you print). And if
    print quality counts my laserjet 4 is still better in text than my 3
    other canon inkjets (one is a ip3000). I don't plan on giving up my
    laserjet4 till it goes bad (heavy and built like a tank). In that
    case I expect to replace it with another laserjet tho I'm at a loss
    which model as I'm not educated on the new ones.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Bob Ward wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:43:50 -0400, Jon von Leipzig <JonL@myway.com>
    >>
    >>My trusty old Epson prints for less than that, I paid $4-5 per 24ml
    >>cart, but now they're even cheaper, for black. At the std 5% coverage,
    >>Epson site sez I should print 4-500 pages, forgot the exact no., cuz
    >>it's unrealistic anyway, the 5% coverage. The average filled-out tax
    >>form is at least 10% coverage.
    >>
    >>If I were really ambitious, could drive 30 mi to the burbs, buy a whole
    >>pint (470ml) that's 19+ complete fills, for $21.95. (oddparts.com)
    >
    > But they still smear when they get wet.

    I have a roof over my head, plus, I'll be in an a/c'd clubhouse at the
    track, no worries about moisture. 90% of mine is black throw-away
    stuff, so no concern w/quality.

    > My experience has been that it's far cleaner to refill a laser toner
    > cartridge thanit is to refill an ink cartridge.

    True. That is interesting....going 4000 pages w/out having to stop,
    refll,etc. Really need to update this snail (3ppm), but have no idea how
    durable these cheaper lasers are. With lots of practice, I can now fix
    mine quickly, if it has a problem.

    > How long does it take you to clean the print heads if the printer sets
    > for a couple of weeks? My lasers are always ready.

    Got it down to a science......
    have my own concoction of de-clogging juice, plus special syringe w/tube
    to feed nozzle.

    trivia: if ink ever goes up (unlikely) like gas prices, can always
    tinker with making my own. Only need some oil-based offset ink, glycol,
    hi-grade alcohol, and water. Preferably, but maybe not necessary,
    triple-distilled & de-ionized water.
    One poster at Frugal once claimed he just used stamp pad ink, with a few
    drops of glycerine. Another, in UK, sez she uses a good quality fountain
    pen ink.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Jon von Leipzig wrote:
    > trivia: if ink ever goes up (unlikely) like gas prices, can always
    > tinker with making my own. Only need some oil-based offset ink, glycol,
    > hi-grade alcohol, and water. Preferably, but maybe not necessary,
    > triple-distilled & de-ionized water.

    I have used Windex liquid (window cleaner from it spray-bottle) as a
    solvent-cleaner and for dilution for my HP6122 and Cannon BJ cartridge
    refills. I also have retrieved the black gunk-ink from the drip-pad.
    There is a lot of black ink in them that can be retrieved that way. A
    bit messy, but you can be creative in salvaging.. sort of like
    dumpster-diving...

    Likewise for the toner cartridges for my Konica copier. The powder
    refuse collector chamber of the toner cartridge can be opened. Dump
    toner there onto the center of a sheet of paper, Carefully reassemble
    the refuse chamber onto the cartridge. Use paper as a carrier to refill
    the toner bin of the cartridge, then use "like new"... About a 30%-50%
    retrieval rate...

    > One poster at Frugal once claimed he just used stamp pad ink, with a few
    > drops of glycerine. Another, in UK, sez she uses a good quality fountain
    > pen ink.

    The ink needs to be all soluble stuff.. zero particulates.

    Angelo Campanella

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals