ok im building my own comp and im limited on money so heres what i got so far

For my soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Here
For my motherboard i cant find one that i like

My cpu: Intel D Here

For my graphics card: 2 X1600s here
I'm also confused on decent RAM but i know i want 2 GB

and then i got a cd drive and a case for my comp

EDIT: o and my hard drive here

If you want to run 2 x 1600 cards or 2 x ATI cards you will need a crossfire motherboard. Something like this P5WD2-E Premium
June 21, 2006 11:07:35 PM

Hey man... this setup is not bad, you have the right idea here but here's some reccomendations...

I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but check out the setup I have... nothing in my current rig was bought more than 4 months ago, and at the time was budget/performance minded. I am totally happy with everything I chose for it. My processor was only $212 and it totally fits the bill for any game, and such

You picked 2 x1600's, if you spent 275, you could get a 7900 GT, which would perform better than the both of these. I wouldn't call myself an nVIDIA fanboy, but I think in the 250-350 range the 7900 GT takes the cake.

As for the RAM definetly go for 2gb, I notices a sizeable difference between 1 gb w/ pagefile, and 2gb without ;-)

Remember ASUS makes awesome quality boards, if you're a CPU tweaker, you might also check out DFI, and their Lanparty series (I had the Lanparty 3 ultra, and it was my favorite mobo ever:-D)

If you're still looking for a soundard, and just not satisfied with the onboard with whatever mobo you buy, consider the newest gen X-Fi series by Creative, only about $20 more will get you the x-treme music edition (definetly superior to the Audigy 2 and 4 series)

Wang!
Related resources
June 21, 2006 11:09:13 PM

I wasn't recommending any graphic cards!

I offered a motherboard for him to consider based on what he thought he wanted.
June 21, 2006 11:32:22 PM

that ram that you suggested was a little exspensive so im wondering if is this good ram
but if that ends up being to exspensive for me i was thinking along the lines of this ram
and also is this a good motherboard? (if i only get 1 graphics card)
June 21, 2006 11:36:51 PM

Quote:
that ram that you suggested was a little exspensive so im wondering if is this good ram
but if that ends up being to exspensive for me i was thinking along the lines of this ram

As far as "Value" RAM goes the corsair ram is very good.

I have seen a post where a guy has used it in a OC D805 @4GHz OC System.
June 22, 2006 12:03:49 AM

Quote:
and also is this a good motherboard? (if i only get 1 graphics card)

I avoid ECS motherboards like the plague I had two fry during use one of which, actually caught fire. Never again! ABIT is outsourcing a lot of their motherboards to ECS as well so as a result, ABIT is off my list too. YMMV but I just won't use the brand again!
June 22, 2006 12:06:35 AM

ECS C-19 appears not to be a very good OC motherboard.
June 22, 2006 12:17:00 AM

what would be a good motherboard thats not very exspensive (like 150$ and less)
June 22, 2006 12:33:07 AM

overclocking what? (yes im a comp nub)

also would dual 7600's be any good (i game A LOT)
June 22, 2006 12:40:11 AM

Quote:

Disregard that overclock bit. You'll eventually learn what that's all about. Learn to walk first. Then try running if you wanna.
June 22, 2006 12:49:57 AM

Sorry, we have assumed you will be overclocking the CPU as nearly everyone who buys one wants to overclock it.
June 22, 2006 12:52:49 AM

Quote:

Overclocking the CPU. Forget dual cards; just get one high-end card, like an X1800XT/7900GT. Or, if you can spend $400+, then get an X1900XT.
June 22, 2006 1:04:49 AM

Quote:

Overclocking the CPU. Forget dual cards; just get one high-end card, like an X1800XT/7900GT. Or, if you can spend $400+, then get an X1900XT.

I concur. A fast single card will run rings around dual slow cards and 2 7600s will cost a little more than a single 7900 but won't be as fast.
June 22, 2006 1:15:01 AM

how come the 7600 has a better core clock and memory clock than better models? such as the 7900
the eVGA 7600 has a core clock of 580 and memory of 1500
when the eVGA 7900 has a core of 450 and memory of 1320

and is this a good motherboard?
June 22, 2006 1:59:57 AM

Quote:
how come the 7600 has a better core clock and memory clock than better models? such as the 7900

I would be getting something like this ASUS before gettint any ECS board if money is an issue.
June 22, 2006 2:04:24 AM

Quote:

It isn't always about the clock speed. It's often the GPU.

Consider the AMD 3200+ VS Intel 3.2. Reasonably similar performance (Intel wins some tests, AMD wins some others). The point here is that the Intel has a core clock speed of 3.2GHz. The AMD 3200+ has a core clock speed of 2.0GHz. Yet performance is roughly similar between the two.

It's similar with many GPUs. More work per tick of the clock means you can do as well or better with a slower clock.
June 22, 2006 2:28:23 AM

heres the thing i cant afford a 7900 or a 7800
just like i cant afford anything above an 7600 or an x1600
unless if you can find one for less than 200$
so for now im going to be going with a single 7600

do you think that will last me until i have enough cash for and 7800 or 7900 etc....

i play bf2 and im going to be playing css soon

so do u think i can run those games in high detail with a 7600?
June 22, 2006 2:35:26 AM

Good choice I think. The 7600 is a good GPU and quite affordable. It should provide for a very satisfying gaming experience (well, maybe not in F.E.A.R.).
June 22, 2006 2:46:38 AM

is F.E.A.R. any good?
and would the 7600 lag while playing F.E.A.R.?
June 22, 2006 3:21:40 AM

Personally, if you're not going to overclock that cpu, I would definitely go with the 820 at least, they're only about $15 more I believe. Also, I would go with a hig-end last gen card, rather than a mid-level this gen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thats a very good card (top of the line for last gen) that would run any new game great (minus maybe oblivion, what runs oblivion great tho honestly?). I would also get 1gb of ddr2 800 ram right now, then get another gig later on. It'd be faster when you upgrade again, and you'll already have the fast 800mhz memory in there, and by that time, the prices of those will go down. My two cents

And FEAR is great, and should run much better with 256bit memory on that x850xt rather than the 7600gt. And its only $170, plus a MIR (which i don't even look at myself). I can run fear reasonably on my measly 9800pro, so either of those cards will run it great.
June 22, 2006 11:36:42 AM

Quote:
Personally, if you're not going to overclock that cpu, I would definitely go with the 820 at least, they're only about $15 more I believe. Also, I would go with a hig-end last gen card, rather than a mid-level this gen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thats a very good card (top of the line for last gen) that would run any new game great (minus maybe oblivion, what runs oblivion great tho honestly?). I would also get 1gb of ddr2 800 ram right now, then get another gig later on. It'd be faster when you upgrade again, and you'll already have the fast 800mhz memory in there, and by that time, the prices of those will go down. My two cents

And FEAR is great, and should run much better with 256bit memory on that x850xt rather than the 7600gt. And its only $170, plus a MIR (which i don't even look at myself). I can run fear reasonably on my measly 9800pro, so either of those cards will run it great.

Fear doesn't run well at all on the card you recommended. I bought one of my sons FEAR. It wouldn't run at all on his 9700 Pro so I bought him the 850XT (actually I bought two of these cards as I have twins). The game was barely playable. Enough so that he never played it. So I got myselt a 7900GT to replace my 6600GT. Just finished FEAR the other day. Awesome game but it needs serious GPU power.

The 7600 is faster overall, than the X850. The difference between the 128 bit and 256bit is negligible when comparing these cards due to the differences in GPUs. These two cards are actually pretty close however, in my opinion, the 7600 is the better card.
June 22, 2006 8:19:33 PM

wats the difference between 128 bit and 256 bit
i know its probably better but what does the 128 and 256 bit do?
June 23, 2006 12:21:05 AM

Quote:
wats the difference between 128 bit and 256 bit
i know its probably better but what does the 128 and 256 bit do?

Think of dual channel memory. This applies mainly to AMD (I don't know if Intel uses dual channel or not) but if you put a single memory stick (DIMM) in, your data access is 64 bits wide (single channel mode). That's the memory data transfer path to the CPU. Put in a second identical stick in one of the other slots (must be a different channel) and now you're running dual channel - and your data path is increased from 64 bits to 128 bits. Twice the throughput from memory to your CPU. It makes a real difference not entirely dissimilar to raid striping conceptually.

Well the older high-end video cards like the 6800XT and the 850XT mentioned above have a 256 bit data path from the onboard graphics RAM to the GPU (graphics processor). The nVidia 7600 has only a 128 bit data path. This would seem to make a big difference but in reality, unlike dual channel memory access on your motherboard, I think that it is probably less significant as the 7600GPU is so much faster than the GPU on the X850XT though neither card is fast enough to be memory-starved. With the higher end cards like the 1900XT (incredibly fast and pretty expensive) or the 7900GT, the GPUs are so fast that they need really quick access to their dedicated memory. But with lesser cards, not so much. This is entirely my opinion though the reviews tend to agree with me.
June 23, 2006 2:53:38 AM

ok heres what i got so far for my comp i think it will suit me for a while and the only things that would change with me over time on this comp would be more ram and possible dual really nice graphics cards

so heres the list

Motherboard: ASUS 89$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Fan: 120 mm Aerocool 15$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

RAM: Corsair 77$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Vid card: eVGA 7600 140$

Processor: Intel Pentium D 110$

Total: $416 w/o shipping
June 23, 2006 3:11:39 AM

McGreek,

Can not remember if you are planning to overclock the cpu?

If not Case and PSU should be ok, if you are PSU will not be good enough.

Also if OCing the cpu, the Stock CPU fan is not really good enough, so have made it work ok, but I would not recommend it.
June 23, 2006 3:16:35 AM

im not gonna oc right away
when i plan on ocing im hopefully gonna have enough money for a water cooling device and a new psu
and whats wrong with the case if i oc?

and also are there any ways to cool down ur graphics card when u oc that?
June 23, 2006 3:18:50 AM

Quote:
im not gonna oc right away
when i plan on ocing im hopefully gonna have enough money for a water cooling device and a new psu
and whats wrong with the case if i oc?

and also are there any ways to cool down ur graphics card when u oc that?

I was talking more about the PSU, not the case itself.

If/when you go to water cool, you can cool both the CPU and VGA with the appropriate kits.
June 23, 2006 10:59:41 AM

Quote:
ok heres what i got so far for my comp i think it will suit me for a while and the only things that would change with me over time on this comp would be more ram and possible dual really nice graphics cards

so heres the list

Sound card: Audigy 2 ZS 75$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Why not use the onboard sound? These are usually plenty good as they are. Save the $75 and put that toward another component. I've not used an actual "sound card" in years!

Audio

Realtek ALC850 8-channel CODEC
Universal Audio Jack
Audio Sensing and Enumeration Technology
Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF out ports on back I/O

That's what comes on your proposed motherboard. You shouldn't be disappointed.
June 23, 2006 12:53:33 PM

well i already have a 2 ZS on my "family" comp (im the only one that really uses it except wen my rents check their e-mail) and they wont let me take it off for my new comp and ive gotten used to the way mp3's and bf2 sounds with it so thats probably why im gettin it, i just got used to the sound
June 23, 2006 10:11:30 PM

Do you need a keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS? i'm only asking this cos when i ordered my pc i forgot to buy windows! :?
June 23, 2006 11:57:56 PM

im set for a mouse and keyboard

i took my old comps HD so i already have windows installed :lol: 

and im gonna take advantage of the s-video option for a while and plug my comp into my small tv until i have enough money for a screen
June 24, 2006 12:06:45 AM

ahh, good stuff.

i know what you mean about the soundcard thing, i used to have a lovely turtle beach santa cruz but it broke so i've been slumming it with on-baord sound for the last 6 months. to be honest though i've got used to the sound and it's alright, but that might just be that i don't really remember what my turtle beach was like. what speakers are you running?
June 24, 2006 12:14:07 AM

Your better off getting the 7900GT.
June 24, 2006 12:59:16 AM

umm i dont know what speakers im running right now, i dont think im gonna have the money to get them. but until i get the money im have logitech headphones with the built in mic, im not sure which model but there nice

and to chukhissle i dont have the money for the 7900 and if i did i would get those over the 7600, but i dont have the money like i already said

but has anybody actually tried the s-video option with ur graphics car?
if u did how did it turn out?
and with windows already on that hard drive...... would i come across any problems with puttin that with my this comp?
June 26, 2006 4:01:45 PM

so i take it no one has tried the s-video option?
June 27, 2006 1:07:48 AM

Quote:
so i take it no one has tried the s-video option?

I have. It's not quite S-Video coming out of your Vid Card mut most good cards come with the adapter. I Built a PC out of spare parts (decent parts tho) and hooked it up to my Standard Definition TV. Couldn't read much of anything and would have to call it unuseable, which I did. Now if your TV is HD, ED or thereabouts, you might be OK (definitely with HD) but SD didn't work for me at all. So I ended up getting a display.

Good luck.
June 29, 2006 5:44:41 AM

ok
thanks
!