mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I downloaded Rivatuner but am afraid to do anything with it. I have a decent system...p4 3.2ghz with 2 mb RAM...my GPU is AGP Geforce 6600gt. I thought I'd play with OCing the GPU but don't want to fry it.

I will be building a Conroe system and will start with a budget GPU like the x1800gto since I read it can be OD'd.

I don't want to get into liquid cooling so I really do not want or need to OC my mobo or CPU, especially with what the Conroe and a mobo will cost.

So, if I wanted to tweak my GPU a little bit what would you reccomend? If I am weary of it should I NOT oc?

Thanks!

Eddie

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Forget the X1800GTO. The cheapest GTO is about $180, and you can get an X1800XT for $220. The XT will totally pwn the GTO, even if the GTO is overclocked. If you can't spend that much on a video card, then get a 7600GT for $150.

Unium

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
If you are that worried about it then I'd say just don't do it. The performance increase you would see with the 6600GT would probably be negligible.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I downloaded Rivatuner but am afraid to do anything with it. I have a decent system...p4 3.2ghz with 2 mb RAM...my GPU is AGP Geforce 6600gt. I thought I'd play with OCing the GPU but don't want to fry it.

I will be building a Conroe system and will start with a budget GPU like the x1800gto since I read it can be OD'd.

I don't want to get into liquid cooling so I really do not want or need to OC my mobo or CPU, especially with what the Conroe and a mobo will cost.

So, if I wanted to tweak my GPU a little bit what would you reccomend? If I am weary of it should I NOT oc?

Thanks!

Eddie

yeah i would say if your worried dont do it, but if you want to have a shot at it download coolbits instead and run the "auto detect frequencies" this will attempt to set your frequencys at a safe level by testing the card a few times at different frequencies, by far one of the safest methods if your worried. then later on if you want you could try increasing them by a few mhz.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As long as you dont get artifacts or your system doesnt freeze there is nothing to worry about as far as i know.

But check your temps, you can be on the edge of having no artifact and reach very high temps. The geforce 6 can handle up to 85*C so if you keep it @80*C at hot days you'll be fine.

I use powerstrip since a short time and in that program you can set some keys like it is here i press ctrl+alt+* and my video card revs up to 545/545 while im in the game. If i shut down my game i press ctrl+alt+/ and my video card goes back to normal speeds. And on very hot days i can just keep it @stock speeds without trouble. So maybe you can try that.

And then just 1 thing, my hart-rate went up very much too with my first OC :lol: .
But eventualy you know where the limits are by doing some google research 8)

owyeah to find the limits of your card (you'll need a nforce mobo for this) you should try nTune. it really pumps the Mhz to the max AND checks the temps so your overclock should be perfectly safe.