File comparison

Can anyone tell me how I can check a drive for duplicate files.

Thanks
Henry

Henry H wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how I can check a drive for duplicate files.
>
> Thanks
> Henry

There are a lot of utilities out there that will search the drive for
duplicate files. I use one called Same-Same and it works well on XP. You can
get it here. It's freeware.

Yankeeboy software:
http://www.yankeeboysoftware.com/

That said, you must be extremely cautious when deleting duplicate files.
Many programs install their own version of certain files, including system
files, into their own program folders. These files are necessary for that
program to operate properly. XP also keeps backup copies of critical system
files.

If you do decide to delete a duplicate file, always move the file to a safe
folder first. Leave it there for a short time and if nothing screams and
yells for it, then delete it.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Alan

NoClone - Find and Remove TRUE Duplicate files
Features:

* True Byte-by-byte comparison , not by CRC / MD5, utmost safe.
* Search duplicate file contents regardless of file name
* Search duplicate pictures(jpg, gif), video(avi, mpg), songs(mp3),
DLLs and any file types
* Search files with same contents, same name, zero size and
truncated files.
* Simple fuzzy match
* Smart marker of duplicate files by date, version, size, folder
and file name pattern
* Preview files, show file versions and properties
* Save search session / Export result list to CSV format
http://noclone.net/