Sign in with
Your question

Installed driver but still no sound

Last response: in Windows 7
April 28, 2011 11:32:10 PM

I have a HP DV9000 (DV9610us). I installed a new motherboard, hard drive and Windows 7. I installed all drivers for the laptop, but have no sound. I have tried multiple options, but still no sound. I can hear a clicking sound every once in awhile (might be when a windows sound comes on). Also when I touch the mute and vloume up I can hear the clicking. I am stuck and out of options. Anyone have any clues?

Showing sound driver is Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221.
Also 2 Base System Devices and 1 Coprocessor drivers are not letting me add drivers to them either, but I only care about the sound right now. Thanks. ~Don

More about : installed driver sound

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2011 8:28:38 AM

you need to download the new motherboard drivers from the manufacturer's website. The old drivers from HP won't work anymore.
Download the latest audio driver and I think you are in business.

Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.
Let the forum know if that solves the problem. SGM
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2011 2:23:09 PM

DonteDragon said:
I have a HP DV9000 (DV9610us). I installed a new motherboard, hard drive and Windows 7. I installed all drivers for the laptop, but have no sound. I have tried multiple options, but still no sound. I can hear a clicking sound every once in awhile (might be when a windows sound comes on). Also when I touch the mute and vloume up I can hear the clicking. I am stuck and out of options. Anyone have any clues?

Showing sound driver is Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221.
Also 2 Base System Devices and 1 Coprocessor drivers are not letting me add drivers to them either, but I only care about the sound right now. Thanks. ~Don

Wow, you did this yourself? How much did that cost?
Related resources
April 30, 2011 2:38:13 AM

(@ soundgurumar) I have downloaded all of the drivers for the HP site for the board. What makes me mad, is that HP shows the top label of the model as a dv9000, and in the lower left corner it says HP Pavillion dv9610us, and then when I scanned with PCWizard it shows it as a dv9700. So which one is it ? lol Very Confusing....
I have downloaded the drivers, and installed them all. The video one works great for NVIDIA video drivers, and the networking worked great too (using it right now as I type to get online), but the sound one is not working. I have tried multiple models, and even for 32 and 64 bit, but to no avail, nothing works. Like I said, I hear a clicking noise when I reboot, or when I click the mute button. Here are a few specs on the system.
Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard

>> General Information
Product : HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
Version : Rev 1
Serial Number : CNF8042CZ9
Unique ID : 434E4638-30343243-5A39001E-68094F78
SKU : KC339UA#ABC
Family : 103C_5335KV

> Mainboard : Quanta 30D1

>> General Information
Manufacturer : Quanta
Product : 30D1
Version : 85.26
Serial Number : None1
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4
I will try to shut off the firewall and basic windows security to install the sound drivers again. Wish me luck. ~D

(@ GeekApproved) It cost me around $ 200.00. I got the motherboard off of EBAY (NIB) for around $150.00. And the hard drive was around $50.00 (NIB).
Yeah I have been working on laptops and PC's for about 30 yrs. Started with my Apple IIe and worked my way up. I just get flustered sometimes when things are suppose to work, and they don't.
April 30, 2011 3:35:36 PM

Update: shut off all virus and firewalls. Installed all drivers again and again, and still no sound. Tried finding Quanta 30D1 drivers for the chipsets, and having no luck. Not sure if this board is proprietary to HP and they have the only drivers. I even pluggedin headphones to test to see if it was just the speaker bar, but no-go. ~D
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2011 3:53:00 PM

Yeah I've replaced lcd screens, but never a laptop motherboard.
May 4, 2011 11:48:20 PM

Ok, I have done everything, but no luck again. I give up...... I need to take a break from this thing. this is so frustrating. I have tried about 7 different drivers and nothing works. lol
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2011 3:38:25 AM

Go to the control panel-->sounds-->playback tab

Often the default device isn't the correct one. You may need to change the playback device.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2011 8:27:02 PM

You installed new drivers?
And you have clicked the speaker icon in the lower right hand desktop, adjusted the volume controls?
Sometimes on laptops the volume is built into the keypad buttons...
Now check the HP keypad for audio controls, the volume up and down buttons may be integrated into the keypad. Get to the HP website and download the user manual. Check the user manual for the keys that control the audio up down.
May 15, 2011 2:47:45 PM

aford10 said:
Go to the control panel-->sounds-->playback tab

Often the default device isn't the correct one. You may need to change the playback device.

Already did that. I have tried the Conexant drivers and the Realtek, and both have not worked. But what's funny is that at least one gives me the "Click" sound when I hit the mute button on and off, and the other driver just keeps the mute button red and no sound at all.
May 15, 2011 2:52:07 PM

soundguruman said:
You installed new drivers?
And you have clicked the speaker icon in the lower right hand desktop, adjusted the volume controls?
Sometimes on laptops the volume is built into the keypad buttons...
Now check the HP keypad for audio controls, the volume up and down buttons may be integrated into the keypad. Get to the HP website and download the user manual. Check the user manual for the keys that control the audio up down.

I can control the sound levels, and watch it give me percentages also (by clicking + & - on the volume control on the top panel). I can actually watch the sound level rise and fall showing it is playing music, but no sound. I am actually starting to think this board I bought might have a bad sound chip.
I am really at a dead end, and about to pull my hair.... lol
February 17, 2012 9:35:47 AM

DonteDragon said:
I can control the sound levels, and watch it give me percentages also (by clicking + & - on the volume control on the top panel). I can actually watch the sound level rise and fall showing it is playing music, but no sound. I am actually starting to think this board I bought might have a bad sound chip.
I am really at a dead end, and about to pull my hair.... lol

Did you ever get it working? I have two HP DV9000 series laptops, both have just been upgraded to Windows 7 and both of them are running perfectly apart from the sound drivers apparentyl being installed perfectly and there still being no sound. I know the sound works on both of them becasue with the previous OS (Vista on one and XP on the other) the sound worked perfectly.

Stuck...
February 17, 2012 11:19:04 AM

I think it happened to me also with my Acer laptop. I was installing almost driver that I thought compatible until I read an article about the Device ID and Ven ID of the item which is available in the property of the device. Check these two IDs and you'll be surprise what you've been missing. Another easier option is to use a driver tool, try this: http://xpdrivers.com/index.cfm
!