Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't completely shut down... or power up.

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2006 1:03:35 AM

Ok, I've had this problem ever since I bought a custom computer about a year ago. But I just came across this forum so I thought I'd give it a shot.

When I turn off my computer (before going to bed), about 50% of the time it doesn't shut down all the way. The monitors shut off, and the motherboard seems to shut down, but it sound like the hard drive is still spinning. So I cut off the power to the supply to get it to shut down all the way.

On the other hand, the computer rarely turn on when I get up in the morning. I generally have to hold the power button in for a few seconds, and then I can get it to start. Sometimes it take quite a bit of fooling around with it though.

Now, I've taken it back to the dealer several times (all under warranty), and they always claim they can't reproduce my problem. They've swapped the power supply, the motherboard, and the video card - all to no avail. I've had my father check the power source to make sure the amperage is fine - and it is.

I've even done some troubleshooting on the biostar website - and at most it's resulted in a temporary fix.

I will list some of my components - but I'm not at home right now so I can't give specifics. I'll update the list later:

- Biostar mobo.
- AMD Athlon 3500+
- SATA HD (160 GB)
- 1 Gb Dual Channel RAM (400)
- GeForce 6800
- 480W Power Supply

If anyone can give me any suggestions, I'd be extremely happy. This is a problem I can live with - but it's very annoying. If I think of more things I've done (in terms of troubleshooting) I'll add it to this thread.

Thanks so much for any replies!
June 22, 2006 12:59:33 PM

Here's an updated list of specs:

Motherboard:
- Biostar NF4UL-A9-A01
- NVIDIA NFORCE4 Ultra

Graphics:
- GeForce 6600 GT (not 6800 like I said above)

CPU:
- AMD Athlon 64 (3500+)

RAM:
- 1Gb DDR Dual (400)

HD:
- SATA (160GB)

Is there anything else I should list?

Thanks for any replies!
June 22, 2006 5:14:25 PM

Is this really a hard question to answer? Or have I not given enough details? I've really done a lot of searching... but can't seem to come up with something I haven't already tried.
Related resources
June 22, 2006 5:37:07 PM

Sorry you've been left hanging man.
But first do an inspection of all your connection on the mobo to your devices. Make sure nothing is loos or hung up.

Once your sure of that you can try to load setup defaults in the bios. For some reason Windows sends the kill now command to the mobo an and its not completing.

If that doesn't work then look to a new bios version to flash or atleast the same number and give 'it refresh'.

....Go from there, if you already have done all this let us know and we can look at another avenue.
June 22, 2006 6:09:12 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I've done everything you've asked - and I'll give it a couple days to see if there's any improvement. This was the first time I ever did a BIOS update (it was pretty straightforward)... so hopefully I'll have some luck!

P.S. What do you mean by 'give it a refresh' ? Isn't that really just the same thing as 'load setup defaults' ?
June 22, 2006 6:11:53 PM

Well I actualy had a similar problem and it turned out to be the memory. I basicaly replaced the MB,PSU,CPU. I installed applications, games etc with out any problems at so it seemed. However I could not shut it down all the way also some times it wouldn't even start up after a shutdown. I would have to reset the cmos then it would boot up with out a problem. I traced the problem to some memory that worked fine in my old board but my new one just didn't like it but once I replaced boom no problems.
June 22, 2006 6:14:23 PM

Well, I took it back to the guys who made it for me several times. I don't think they ever changed the memory for good - but I'm sure they checked it. They said they ran diagnostics on everything. However, I'll keep it in mind if this BIOS update doesn't help.

Thanks for the reply.
June 22, 2006 6:17:13 PM

ikaz has a point be sure to use on stick of ram. If you see no results then use the other. If that does not do anything it only prove that A: there something else wrong. B: It's possible you have two bad stick of ram.

It is possible for a bios to become corrupt durring the handeling of the mobo, so when I said refresh, I meant if there was no new version availible for your board, then flashing it with the same vesion would put all it's duck back in a row.
June 23, 2006 2:53:37 PM

Just a bit of an update....

I've updated the Bios, but I'm still having the same problem. I removed one stick or ram, still the same problem. I tried with the other stick of ram too.

So, since I want to cover everything, I've actually removed the floppy drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

The hardest part about this, is that when I remove the power to the computer, then it usually starts right up the next time I plug it in. So it can take a day or so for me to tell if the problem still persists.

BTW, for those who are more technically inclined, what would bad ram actually have to do with a computer not shutting down all the way? Is it somehow messing up the signal to those devices that haven't shut down?

Regards.
June 23, 2006 3:53:28 PM

what PowerSupply is that?
480w sounds plenty for this box if its from a decent company at least. But if its some generic crap who knows if its working properly.

The problem you have booting is what is commonly called "cold boot" issue. trying to boot it straight from an off state.
Commonly this problem is led to power supply issues. *of course it could be ram or anything else*

I suggest you also try the video card. Find another vid card to put in there. I know it sounds weird but this is just the nature of comptuers, sometimes the stupidest / most unlikely stuff is the cause of a problem. I had one computer that refused to boot with a specific CD-Rom drive plugged in, put a new drive in and it was fine, put that old drive in another computer and it ran fine *shrugs*
Not that I don't trust your dad, get someone else to also check that power in your room for a 2nd opinion *unless ur dad is a certified electrician or something*, also take you computer elsewhere *friends house or something* and try it out there with their electricity.

Another note, I don't trust whoever built your computer. I don't know why but every single one of my friends that have a puter issue take it back to the shop and the shop dont find anything wrong, I take a crack at it and tend to resolve the issue. If you know someone else NOT at a shop good with puters try and get them to look at it.
June 23, 2006 4:07:28 PM

well i would suggest you run memtest and some motherboard testing

i was surfing the net and came across this web site ,Download and burn image on cd .

change bios to load from cd

it has memtest and other testing utilities
hope this a good help.

ps if u get errors, go to the shop u bought the pc and make him change the fualty hardware in front of u
June 23, 2006 4:58:02 PM

Quote:
what PowerSupply is that?
480w sounds plenty for this box if its from a decent company at least. But if its some generic crap who knows if its working properly.

The problem you have booting is what is commonly called "cold boot" issue. trying to boot it straight from an off state.
Commonly this problem is led to power supply issues. *of course it could be ram or anything else*

I looked at the ps, and it says 480W and StarTech.com on it. So perhaps it's just crap - I'm not sure. I'll keep in mind to try a different one if I don't resolve the issue.

Quote:
I suggest you also try the video card. Find another vid card to put in there. I know it sounds weird but this is just the nature of comptuers, sometimes the stupidest / most unlikely stuff is the cause of a problem. I had one computer that refused to boot with a specific CD-Rom drive plugged in, put a new drive in and it was fine, put that old drive in another computer and it ran fine *shrugs*

I've had them swap the video card - but both were the same kind. So I'll take your advice and try a different one to be sure.

Quote:
Not that I don't trust your dad, get someone else to also check that power in your room for a 2nd opinion *unless ur dad is a certified electrician or something*, also take you computer elsewhere *friends house or something* and try it out there with their electricity.

My father is a licensed home inspector/contractor, and has done this kind of stuff for a long time. Actually, I was able to reproduce the problem at his house - so the power in my room is a very unlikely cause.

Quote:
Another note, I don't trust whoever built your computer. I don't know why but every single one of my friends that have a puter issue take it back to the shop and the shop dont find anything wrong, I take a crack at it and tend to resolve the issue. If you know someone else NOT at a shop good with puters try and get them to look at it.

Ok - I have an uncle who's a techy, so I'll get him to look at it too.

Thanks a bunch for your advice!
June 23, 2006 4:59:34 PM

Quote:
well i would suggest you run memtest and some motherboard testing

i was surfing the net and came across this web site ,Download and burn image on cd .

change bios to load from cd

it has memtest and other testing utilities
hope this a good help.

ps if u get errors, go to the shop u bought the pc and make him change the fualty hardware in front of u

So this kind of testing will tell me which component may be the cause? Why is it that the shop who built this for me hasn't thought of this? They told me they ran diagnostics on everything - so are they just pulling my leg?
June 23, 2006 5:23:39 PM

the thing is man that if u had fualty hardware and it was replaced by a new one, the system must work

memtest will tell u if the ram is fualty from its result.

in my country in such a small poptulation of 400,000 people ,we've got some pc shops which advert a particular model on the website and when u buy it u find out that the hardware u bought doesn't have same model number shown on the website!

some pc shops are big ******
June 23, 2006 6:11:07 PM

sorry for not posting this before

but i didn't have time to have a deep look at the cd i suggested
So make sure u read the online help found on the cd

then post ur results
June 23, 2006 6:18:02 PM

Quote:

BTW, for those who are more technically inclined, what would bad ram actually have to do with a computer not shutting down all the way? Is it somehow messing up the signal to those devices that haven't shut down?

Regards.

This means only two things.

1. There is a shot somewhere on the board
2. The PSU is failing.

Solution 1: RMA the thing, if your local shop should have transferred ownership of warrenty rights to you at the time of purchase.

Solution 2: (if your in the states) Go to the local compusa or best buy and buy (or in a sense borrow) a new PSU. If you manage to test it out with-in a day you can return it no questions asked for cash again. I've done it many times, if the test works and you do need a new PSU, still return that one and order the same or another for 1/2 the cost online.
June 23, 2006 6:40:11 PM

I have encountered similar problems in the past and after going through many of the suggestions in this thread, discovered I had corrupted ASPI files. Upon over-writing the corrupted ASPI files, the problem went away.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASPI

This isn't to say the other issues already posted in this thread may cause your problem, just that this may be another issue to explore.
June 24, 2006 2:06:02 PM

I can see what corrupt ASPI files would have to do with CD/DVD burning, but problems with booting up/shutting down?
June 26, 2006 8:57:03 PM

Updates:

I think I've tried just about everything now. A memtest showed no problems.

Today I went and got the power supply replaced. So we'll see what happens.

Quick question: this may sound dumb - but is there any software I can download that will tell me whether the power supply is behaving like it should? I mean, if it's getting proper current... stuff like that?

Cheers.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2010 2:28:09 PM

i have the exact same problem as you! i hope you figure it out! because i cant find anybody that knows how to fix it either!

i wonder.. ( i have a custom computer i built myself) do you have the same case and power supply by chance ... i have an NZXT of both case and power supply .. maybe its just a shitty brand... although my computer did used to work just fine, i am not sure when the new problem began, i think it was when i installed windows 7 im not sure
!