Windows 3.1 File Transfer

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need to transfer files in the 4 to 5 mb range from a
Windows 3.1 pc to a Windows XP Professsional pc. There is
no internet or e-mail connection where these computers are
located. Both computers have floppy drives, parallel
ports, and serial ports. I tried without luck using the
Microsoft Backup program on the Windows 3.1 machine to
transfer to the XP Backup program. I have read that using
a null modem serial cable might do the job or a parallel
cable between the computers. Any suggestions?

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Jerry wrote:
> I need to transfer files in the 4 to 5 mb range from a
> Windows 3.1 pc to a Windows XP Professsional pc. There is
> no internet or e-mail connection where these computers are
> located. Both computers have floppy drives, parallel
> ports, and serial ports. I tried without luck using the
> Microsoft Backup program on the Windows 3.1 machine to
> transfer to the XP Backup program. I have read that using
> a null modem serial cable might do the job or a parallel
> cable between the computers. Any suggestions?

Transferring 5MB should be easy. Zip up the files, and use floppies. If
necessary, you can split the zip file into parts using the PC Mag. utility
called Slice.

In news:%23aeyXn%23oEHA.3460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Gordo <gordo20878@hotmail.com> typed:

> Jerry wrote:

>> I need to transfer files in the 4 to 5 mb range from a
>> Windows 3.1 pc to a Windows XP Professsional pc. There is
>> no internet or e-mail connection where these computers are
>> located. Both computers have floppy drives, parallel
>> ports, and serial ports. I tried without luck using the
>> Microsoft Backup program on the Windows 3.1 machine to
>> transfer to the XP Backup program. I have read that using
>> a null modem serial cable might do the job or a parallel
>> cable between the computers. Any suggestions?
>
> Transferring 5MB should be easy. Zip up the files, and use
> floppies.
> If necessary, you can split the zip file into parts using the
> PC Mag.
> utility called Slice.

I concur with zipping them and using floppies. Splitting the zip
file into pieces with a separate utility shouldn't be necessary,
however. Almost all standard zip utilities have the ability to
span multiple diskettes.

One caveat: be sure to format the diskettes on the Windows XP
computer, not the Windows 3.1 one. Otherwise they may not be
readable on the XP computer.

Please reply to the newsgroup