Sign in with
Your question

Safest short to mid-term upgrade path

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2006 3:17:09 AM

I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3500+, Geforce 6800 GT, and 2 gigs of ddr on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. All stuffed into a Lian li PC-V1100.

My question is this, given my current limitations (no PCI-e) and the timeline I'm about to describe, what would be my safest/cheapest upgrade for now. I'm planning on keeping this computer for AT LEAST the next 10 months. I play a lot of current games (CoD2, F.E.A.R, etc.) and would like to keep some semblance of quality when some new titles come out this holiday season. Would it be reasonable to upgrade my cpu and video card now and save the big upgrades (AM2, SLI, or whatever's fashionable) for next spring/summer? I'm thinking dual core and 7600GS for the time being. So like $600 bucks down the drain to hopefully keep my system humming along for another year?
June 22, 2006 4:04:37 AM

Quote:
Would it be reasonable to upgrade my cpu and video card now and save the big upgrades (AM2, SLI, or whatever's fashionable) for next spring/summer? I'm thinking dual core and 7600GS for the time being. So like $600 bucks down the drain to hopefully keep my system humming along for another year?

With the upcoming AM2 price cuts in about a month, I'd be tempted to find a couple hundred more bucks and go AM2 if you're committed to AMD. I have not followed AM2 mobos, but there are a few available for around $100-150. Not sure what a 3800+ will go for come August, maybe $200? You could pick up an 1800GTO or 1800XT and some DDR2 and get down to bidness. If it was my money, I'd be tempted to try to find some overtime bucks and watch Conroe benches once it's available. This is a tough time to upgrade. Maybe see how much you can get selling your current rig for extra build bucks.
June 22, 2006 4:08:23 AM

i'm not sure the 7600gs will help much, for the cost.. your 6800gt is one bad mofo card.. maybe you should try unlocking extra pipes and making it a 6800xt, or was it gxt in those days? Your system has plenty of life left for gaming, though not cutting edge but how much is it worth to you to have the BEST agp card available?EVGA 7800GS 256 With that bad boy..you could sit and wait out the storm.. see how am2 vs. conroe ends up next spring
June 22, 2006 4:24:19 AM

Quote:
i'm not sure the 7600gs will help much, for the cost.. your 6800gt is one bad mofo card.. maybe you should try unlocking extra pipes and making it a 6800xt, or was it gxt in those days? Your system has plenty of life left for gaming, though not cutting edge but how much is it worth to you to have the BEST agp card available?EVGA 7800GS 256 With that bad boy..you could sit and wait out the storm.. see how am2 vs. conroe ends up next spring

Ummm, I did say 7600 didn't I. I meant 7800GS...

And I already tried unlocking the extra pipes: artifacts all over the place. I'm torn really, but I am definitely leaning towards a new cpu and card in a month or so. my bank account already hates me for what've done to it with my stereo system.... (the question is will I make up the money I spend now in price drops in a year)
!