Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Pentium
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
June 22, 2006 5:00:30 AM

I dont have a lot of Experience with overclocking, Can i overclock with out Frying everything?

And

Is it easy to over clock with that mother board and will handle enough power when overclocked?

MotherBoard

And one more question

How high do you recommend overclocking when i have on the Zalman cooler

Zalman Cooler

More about : questions overclocking pentium 0ghz

June 22, 2006 4:39:37 PM

can anyone answer my questions...
June 22, 2006 5:41:19 PM

Hi Kairo,

First of all, you should check your power supply... it must be AT LEAST 450w and it must be a good quality one... (like antec, thermaltake... etc.) Your motherboard seem to be good... I have a gigabyte 8I945P-G (you can have it for the same price) and it is doing well with my pentium d 805. Also, keep in mind that every processor is different... I cannot tell you how high you can overclock with your Zalman. Mine is overclocked to 3.5Ghz and it is doing well... I would recommend you to use the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for your Zalman. I gained 300mhz with it and my temp is much better now. You should aslo practice yourself on putting the thermal paste (if it's one of your first time) because it affect ALOT your temperature.
June 22, 2006 8:53:10 PM

According to the processor support page the ASUS P5LD2 supports the Pentium D 805, so you should be good to go. It's not going to have wonderful 8 phase power to reduce it's temp or the newest motherboard features, but you should be alright. I totally agree with patrickcyr about your power supply. Don't skimp, if you have anything less than a name brand 450w just go out and buy an Antec TP2-550EPS12V, or better. I also have a question that maybe someone can answer.

Yes, I'm one of these crazy Intel Pentium D 805 overclocking guys. I want a water cooling system that will be able to handle the heat of my system, and allow me to overclock it to 4.1GHz, while keeping the temperatures at reasonable levels. I would also like a bit of room for growth in the future as I might want water cooled SLI and Chipset. Here is what I'm looking at purchasing:

Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal Water-block

Danger Den 12V DD-D5 Pump which seems to be exactly the same pump as the Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump, but costs a bit less?

Black Ice XTREME III Radiator

Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir

9 feet of Tygon 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD Laboratory Tubing #R3603

9 feet of Swiftech Smart Coils 625

Swiftech HydrX Extreme-Duty UV Coolant

10 Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/32 in. to 5/8 in.

3 Antec 120mm Blue LED Fans

So does it look like I've left anything out that would be obvious, what might I need to go to Home Depot or my local Ace Hardware to purchase in addition to this? What are your thoughts on the Swiftech vs. the Danger Den pump? Does it make sense to use 7/16in ID 5/8in OD tubing?

My System Specs:
Intel Pentium D 805 (BX80551PE2666FNSL8ZH) @ 3.795GHz
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (running in Dual Channel) @ 813MHz
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED
2 x Western Digital WD800JD 80G SATA 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drives (In RAID 0)
Zalman CNPS9500LED-CU
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
Antec NeoHE 550 High Efficiency 550W Power Supply Unit
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case
Windows XP Professional SP2
ASUS E616AG/A5 16X DVD-ROM
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2009 4:16:03 PM

Hi folks.
I have a very similar system to the above.

Normal clock is 3.4Ghz with 2x 7900s in SLI mode running at 650Mhz.

I have a 450w FSB noise-killer PSU.

I've overclocked them to 3.6 and 730, using nVida nTune.
At this setting everything is stable, and the cards are at about 45deg during FarCry 2 benchmarking.
I recently bought an Arctic Cooling cpu cooler and the CPU now runs cooler than the motherboard at 3.6 - about 25deg.

However, if I boost any settings beyond this I start getting very sudden hangs and freezes. Its certainly not temperature related, and I was told the PSU could handle it all well. I was expecting to get to about 3.8 / 800 with all the air going though the case.

Any ideas what gives?
cheers
Mike
January 9, 2009 4:59:24 PM

Tom_Shaftoe said:
According to the processor support page the ASUS P5LD2 supports the Pentium D 805, so you should be good to go. It's not going to have wonderful 8 phase power to reduce it's temp or the newest motherboard features, but you should be alright. I totally agree with patrickcyr about your power supply. Don't skimp, if you have anything less than a name brand 450w just go out and buy an Antec TP2-550EPS12V, or better. I also have a question that maybe someone can answer.

Yes, I'm one of these crazy Intel Pentium D 805 overclocking guys. I want a water cooling system that will be able to handle the heat of my system, and allow me to overclock it to 4.1GHz, while keeping the temperatures at reasonable levels. I would also like a bit of room for growth in the future as I might want water cooled SLI and Chipset. Here is what I'm looking at purchasing:

Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal Water-block

Danger Den 12V DD-D5 Pump which seems to be exactly the same pump as the Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump, but costs a bit less?

Black Ice XTREME III Radiator

Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir

9 feet of Tygon 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD Laboratory Tubing #R3603

9 feet of Swiftech Smart Coils 625

Swiftech HydrX Extreme-Duty UV Coolant

10 Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/32 in. to 5/8 in.

3 Antec 120mm Blue LED Fans

So does it look like I've left anything out that would be obvious, what might I need to go to Home Depot or my local Ace Hardware to purchase in addition to this? What are your thoughts on the Swiftech vs. the Danger Den pump? Does it make sense to use 7/16in ID 5/8in OD tubing?

My System Specs:
Intel Pentium D 805 (BX80551PE2666FNSL8ZH) @ 3.795GHz
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (running in Dual Channel) @ 813MHz
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED
2 x Western Digital WD800JD 80G SATA 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drives (In RAID 0)
Zalman CNPS9500LED-CU
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
Antec NeoHE 550 High Efficiency 550W Power Supply Unit
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case
Windows XP Professional SP2
ASUS E616AG/A5 16X DVD-ROM
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black)

I really don't know. It would cost you less to buy a new motherboard and an E8400. You wouldn't even have to overclock to have 2 times the performance of a Pentium D at 4 GHZ, imagine an easy air overclock of the C2D at 4GHZ, it would just keep the PD in the Dust. I personnaly think that even though it's great to have a water cooling system, it's a waist of money in your case since you could have a much better machine, at less cost, without watercooling.

Watercooling is usually taken into consideration when you have an up-to-date system and that you reached it's limit with conventional air cooling.

Why spend more for less when you can have more for less.
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2009 7:42:22 AM

EDIT: oops, apparently mouse gestures clicked on a wrong button.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2009 9:21:32 AM

ive been there and done that i had my pentium d 805 running stable at 3950mhz after frying a no name 460 watt 1 day old power supply but once again your wasting your time they run hot as hell, you need to up the voltages on everything which is just gonna prematurely end the life of all your components unless they're up to it and at the end of the day dont go very hard. if you can afford a few extra buck get a new cpu even a little old dual core 2160 factory clocked 1.8ghz (that was my next project) overclocked up to 2.9ghz will eat it for breakfast without even changing a single voltage level and unless you have a really hot summer you could probably do it on the factory heatsink and fan. so for the money you would spend just to cool the pentium d you could have a significant cpu power increase
February 25, 2009 10:37:22 PM

Three year old thread
!