5 different DDR2-800 2gb set to choose from...help please

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Okay I'm trying to decide which RAM to purchase, my options are..

Team Xtreem 4-4-4
Supertalent 4-4-3
Corsiar XMS Pro 5-5-5
Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4
OCZ Platinum EL XTC 4-5-4

Any ideas on which would be my best buy?

Mondoman

Splendid
What are you looking for -- price? performance? overclockability? bling?
In general, lower timings are better, but you need to check what voltage was used to get the timings. Higher voltages can result in better timings, but cause the chips to run hotter, so the lower the voltage for a given set of timings, the "better" the inherent quality of the chips (and the more room to overclock them by increasing the voltage). For example:
Corsair XMS2 Pro series:
CM2X1024-6400PRO (5-5-5-12 module) is tested at DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 at 1.9V, and has its SPD (onboard programmed list of timings that motherboard uses to auto-set timings) set at 5-5-5-12 for DDR2-800.
CM2X1024-6400C4PRO (4-4-4-12 module) is tested at DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 at a higher voltage of 2.0V, but has its SPD set at 5-5-5-18 for DDR2-800!
If you just plug each of these 2 modules in without adjusting settings in the BIOS, the first will run at 5-5-5-12 (DDR2-800), while the more expensive, supposedly faster second one will run more slowly(!) at 5-5-5-18 (DDR2-800). It's only by going into the BIOS to adjust the memory voltage to 2.0V and to manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12 that you will get the faster performance from the 2nd module.
Both, however, rate high in bling, having cool flashing LEDs. :)
Similarly, you'll find that the Ballistix modules are rated at 2.2V!

So, let us know what your goal is for these modules.

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
They are going in a fairly high end system....

AM2 4800+ X2
Geforce 7950gx2
WD Raptor 150GBx2 in Raid 0
Watercooled
etc

My overclocking in previous PC's was limited to using the ASUS overclocking utility and just usually doing a 10% OC. I tried to adjust RAM timings once but had no success, any changes just caused too much instability. If the FSB is raised to say 220MHZ does that also increase the clock speed?? I'll probably just do the same this time round as I am reluctant to mess around with voltage settings etc. So I guess whichever one will best suit what I will be doing?

Cheers

MY OCZ PC6400 DDR2 667 is running right now at 712 mhz at the company's rated timings of 4-4-4-8, no problemo. Will definately run highrer set at those timings. wow!

My Crucial Ballistic PC4000 DDR runs stable beyond 500 mhz at the advertised timings of 2.5-4-4-8

Would love to have a board that could run 800 DDR 2. I would have to think OCZ's good stuff would run much higher than what they advertise at advertised timimgs. Crucial as well, but not quite as well as the OCZ stuff.

OCZ is lifetime warranty and even if running under higher voltages than the company recommends. Pretty impressive warranty from an up and coming company. OCZ is going to be a major force in the RAM market soon. Crucial also has a limited lifetime warranty. I don't know if it's my lifetime or theirs kinda deal.

Have gigs and gigs and gigs of Corasir too. Not the DDR2 stuff though. Corsair has sent me replacement dimms under their warranty before with no problem. I like a company who does that. Good for business. Corsiar however does tend to rate their timings better than your system will do. I don't know, call them overrated somewhat, but definately an outstanding product. Should be. 'spensive lucy!

Have Kingston but not DDR2. Their offices are right down the street from me. Have picked up my RAM at the gate many times. But have never had to RMA Kingston. Their stuff is solid. I use it in many of my computers.

Hope this helps and at least gives you some ideas. The DDR2 stuff is awesome to work with so far.

the1pro

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
You don't mention the model of your motherboard. Thatt's very important in chosing memory. My M2N32-SLI Deluxe for example simply doesn't work with the OCZ 2gb platinoum kit so I'm stuck with a 250€ paperwaight. So if you're using this board, go for the Corsair kit, which is supposed to be a good overclocker. In any case check your motherboard's Qualiffied Vendors List (QVL) and see wich theese kits are in it so that you don't face the problem I'm facing. :cry:

Does that mean it will only support Kingston ram in 1024mb modules?

I did not do the QVL download. You mentioned your ASUS board will not run with OCZ. Mine runs and it runs fast. Usually the QVL gives a list of qualified vendors who ASUS has tested their RAM with. I know. Sometimes a QVL list looks weird. I have looked up the vendors listed there and they are all over the place, never heard of them. I believe ASUS often uses Corsair as one of their test companys. I guess you are asking if that ASUS AM2 Sli board will only run the Kingston 1024 dimms they have listed. No. But that is the Kingston product ASUS engineers tested their product with.

Mondoman

Splendid
If you're not planning on touching the memory voltage settings, I'd go with the Corsair XMS Pro, because it looks like it should do well at lower (standard) voltages.
Otherwise, I'd go with the OCZ or the Ballistix, upping memory voltage to a max of 2.2V.
I'd skip the Team Xtreem and Supertalent, since they're not top-tier brands.

If you're not planning on touching the memory voltage settings, I'd go with the Corsair XMS Pro, because it looks like it should do well at lower (standard) voltages.
Otherwise, I'd go with the OCZ or the Ballistix, upping memory voltage to a max of 2.2V.
I'd skip the Team Xtreem and Supertalent, since they're not top-tier brands.

I running my Crucial Ballistic at 2.75v right now. I have it clocked at 508 mhz. as we speak. Pretty good upgrade from PC3200 400 mhz. I like my PC5400 DDR2 OCZ better! Rated at 667 mhz and running at 712 mhz easily! Have that at factory 1,8v settings. I have had it set at 1.9v above factory recommendations with no problems.

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/partspecs.asp?IMODULE=BL6464L505

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My 775 testing shows the SuperTalent leading everything, able to run the rated timings at stock voltage (not "factory overclocked" settings). I'll be testing it in an AM2 platform and let you know how it goes.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
pmji, but I too have a question. I will be building a Conroe system and will be purchasing DDR2-800 RAM. I would like a recomendation on the best cheap RAM. I will not be OCing, just quality and price.

Also, for gaming and running Vista I was told that 2gb would be enough. I havn't done much pricing yet and want to start with a budget PC and upgrade. Economically is it better to get 2x1gb chips (which gives me the option to add more RAM later) or should I get 2x512 gb and get 2 more 512mb chips later? I can add 1gb chips later, right? 2x512 and 2x1?

Thanks!

Eddie

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have some bad news mickeddie, the only DDR2-800 I've seen able to run at full-speed and standard voltage is the Super Talent RAM. Everything else appears to be overclocked DDR2-667, requiring added voltage. And even the Super Talent RAM comes with DDR2-533 SPD values.

So you're going to end up paying for enthusiast RAM if you want DDR2-800.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I have some bad news mickeddie, the only DDR2-800 I've seen able to run at full-speed and standard voltage is the Super Talent RAM. Everything else appears to be overclocked DDR2-667, requiring added voltage. And even the Super Talent RAM comes with DDR2-533 SPD values.

So you're going to end up paying for enthusiast RAM if you want DDR2-800.

What do you recommend? My machine will be a gaming rig and I am very new to the world of home-built machines. Maybe I don't ned ddr2-800?

Thank you!!

Eddie