WinME and Win98SE last battle!

G

OK! I have WinME and acctually set all settings to minimum so it runs very fast and looks like Win95!! I'm still confused what windows is the fastest in games? ME or 98SE? Also which one is more hadware compatible?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you can see the difference between 70 and 71 FPS then go with 98SE, otherwise ME is so much more better stable if you get it right (just my experience)

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Lab "tests" show Win98SE as faster most of the time, but in real life, that's a hard call.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

OK then which uses more CPU, RAM? needs more resources??? if WinME does then I'll go for 98SE, which win is more hardware compatible and better for games? I know that ME sux because you can't even make a nice bootable floppy to flash your BIOS, (gotta do some magic deleting and stuff) I have both (ME FULL version and 98SE FULL version)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok then, WinME is using CPU and RAM more efficiently than Win98SE. It takes much more longer for my kid to break WinME setup than Win98x setup machine. So I know from experience that WinME is better as far as keeping itself together.

I usually disable Restore, delete Restore folder from WinME partition (doing it from win2k partition), and it works as fast as Win98x as far as speed goes, heh, but handles much easier and better, no crashes of IE when playing chess on line and such headaches as with 98x. I like Win98x, but after working with ME for some time, I liked it better for its stability over 98x, and I have to say, once you are in GUI, it handles programs faster than 98x, no matter what any body would say, I just can see that myself.

So, as far as you can see, I am recommending ME over 98 any day, even lots of some bodies were having nightmares with it, hehe (I use Ghost, so if I need, in 7 minutes I can have any system I want, so it not a big deal for me what I am using, usually when I put 98 in, after playing with it for a little time and getting sick of blue screens, I am spending another 7 minutes of getting ME back, and staying with it until another paranoid wish to “play” with 98 comes back again, and the story begins all over again, hehehe)

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

As far as I understand WinME is the same as WIn98SE, just a feature upgrade. I hate restore option! I never use it though, the other thing is that I'm confused with 4in1 drivers (VIA), it says that WinME has it's own driver for Promise ata/100 and does not install a driver for that! I think Win95 is the fastest!!! but it's way too old! Wonder why can't we use DOS? it's the same Windows but without graphics and uses way less memory!