Rewritting the A+ tests for CompTIA - Suggestions?

Technically, this should be in the Other, but that section is infested with who knows what so:

We are designing the next set of tests related to the A+ and a few others. There will be quite a few changes and I thought (as an active member of THG) I would give it's patrons a chance to throw out suggestions or improvements over the last test, or inclusions for the new one.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
man i just went and took the test and thought it was a joke.... seriously... what do you do "first" when the customer cusses you out? um cuss him back out?

i think the test should be less centered on customer relations, and more on the core of computing... i mean i think i saw atleast a dozen out of 80 questions, concerning how to handle the customer.... really didnt we learn customer service when we werked @ McDonalds?

i guess now that i am certified i would like to see the test be a little harder. more questions on real world troubleshooting (i.e. SOHO) not corporate. cause really what kind of job are you gonna get with this cert. most likely not managing a HUGE storage array, maybe a fileserve(no RAID) and a DC. ok yeah know how to implement RAID or SCSI, but alot of the technical hardware questions were centered around RAID and SCSI, when the "realworld" rarely uses SCSI anymore, thats a reservation for corporate..

i dunno maybe like a little "hands on" with pictures of course, cause this has to be given without instruction.. im not sure how you could pull this one but it is a thought, and im sure its not the first you heard it either..

if i run into any other thoughts i will be sure to write them here

I don't directly work for the CompTIA organization, however, I do have direct influence though one of the companies I work for, so when it comes time, I put together a list of changes, omitions, and additions I would like seen in the new revision of the test.

I have been very busy so I am sorry I haven't been able to answer the previous question, but I will. I usually get about enough time for a simple reply , which I do not what to do here.

Spell checked as requested by Dean7... though I don't guaranty I will capitalize friday.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I'm glad you're using the spellcheck. :D

Anyway, just when I figure that you own some sort of PC building shop you sound like you're some sort of consultant. What DO you do for a living anyway?

I own a PC repair shop and subscribe to several tech agencies which sends me to maintain the local hospital's medicine distribution systems "Accudose". as well as several other types of companies.

I also work full time at an Air Force base's internal science and development center owned by the DOE (department of Energy). I work as the technical fixit guy for many of the computer systems there, though the title is only "Desktop Technician"... which isn't impressive, but it does allow me access to many resources.

Thats what I do.
I went to school for astrophysics and paleogeology... but didn't finish.

The tests are becoming easier I do agree. This is in part because it is really an entry level test into the computer technology field, and the largest utilization of the test is entry level job requirements, such as the Geek Squad, Fire Dogs, and plenty other corporate level examples. This is also why customer relations are such a large influence in the test. Many of the A+ test takers are becoming involved in customer service and companies want to make sure they have or learn basic and proper customer relations in this type of field.

This test was also originally designed to cover all basic aspects of computing, such as basic networking, hard drive set ups, basic server configurations. There is a lot of legacy technology still remaining in the test, and we feel it’s important to leave it in because though rare, SCSI, windows 98, AT technologies, and other legacy technologies still exist. It is assumed that you will eventually run into these technologies, and for CompTIA to provide a "proof of proficiency", it its important we cover all bases. Also, please realize that these legacy technologies that really aren’t around in volume, still provide a learning experience, as well as it helps build upon an idea of how a particular technology works/evolves/ and why it changed. This is part of the comprehension of the subject.

As far as hands on, that is a tricky thing to implement. There are many ways to take this test, and to maintain equality, each needs to be done in the same manner, with the same resources available to each person. CompTIA offers classes with hands on learning environments, as well as colleges, and community colleges, and even some high schools.

I hope I answered your questions, and I apologize for the delay. I wanted to allow enough time to answer your thoughts thoroughly.