How many screws do you need to install motherboard

n4ca

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
hey i just bought a new mobo the P5ND2-SLI and just looked through the manual and it says uses 9 screws to install it but i only have 7 from when i took out the old board is this enough or do i need to get more. Thanks

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
It will probably be enough, but just bear in mind why the screws are there in the first place.

They firmly fasten the board to the case, thus reducing flexing of the board when you insert / remove hardware like RAM, PCI cards etc. They also reduce flexing once the board is positioned upright and has to 'take the weight'.

If you're not confident that just 7 screws will be adequate for this, then just get 2 more.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Why don't you just buy 2 more screws? Unless you budgeted right down to the last penny for your P5ND2-SLI, is it not worth spending the extra money for peace of mind?

n4ca

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the replies and yeah ill go buy some more screws definitely dont want to risk new mobo. cheers

Thanks for the replies and yeah ill go buy some more screws definitely dont want to risk new mobo. cheers

Excellent decision! :D

Don't forget the studs the screws go into, and take a stud with you to make sure you get the right height stud and screw threading!

And since you've asked this question in the first place, make sure support studs are only located at the M/Bs mounting holes, the mounting holes are also ground points for the M/B to the case.

hey i just bought a new mobo the P5ND2-SLI and just looked through the manual and it says uses 9 screws to install it but i only have 7 from when i took out the old board is this enough or do i need to get more. Thanks

Personally, I use a MINIMUM of five screws to hold the motherboard in place, 1 on each corner, and 1 in the middle of the board closest to the video card slot. Ideally, you would use all 9...