Sign in with
Your question

Barracuda SATA2 80GB vs Raptor SATA1 74GB

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 22, 2006 7:15:00 AM

I'm building a new system and plan to have 2 HDs in it, one as the system disk, and the other as the data disk.

So, as you might be able to guess from the title, I'm looking at either a Barracuda or a Raptor as my primary.

The 'Cuda is a LOT less expensive, but I'm wondering if the SATA2 gives it performance closer to that of a Raptor. Or, if I should just spring for it and get the 16MB cache 74GB Raptor.

Im guessing the Raptor will still have an edge, but I'm wondering just how hot and loud it gets.

Thanks!
June 22, 2006 8:18:58 AM

Man, sata 2 means nothing, the parameters for hd performance are in this order: raid, rpm, cache.

For primary only use raptors or raid 0's, because otherwise it woul have no sense.

Now the chice depends on youre cash, the best would be a 150gb raptor(yes they improved performance and not only size) or a 74, get a ,,normal,, disk as youre primary only if its not for gaming or a server.
Get the best you can afford and latter just put in aniother in raid 0.

Dont know about heat and noise of raptors, but i dont think it should be a proablam unless its a home-theater pc or you live in a desert region 8O !
June 22, 2006 3:48:46 PM

What about 2 80GB SATAII 8MB 7200 on RAID0 compaired to a raptor performance wise?
Related resources
June 22, 2006 5:22:00 PM

Quote:
What about 2 80GB SATAII 8MB 7200 on RAID0 compaired to a raptor performance wise?

For got sakes man. Google.com it. Your performance is within single digit mbs! Until the pipes are open up SATAII mean nothing, it almost referrs only to larger disks and had does not contain any improvient over sata150. The same as ata133 was no improvement over ata100.
June 22, 2006 5:44:57 PM

Save your cash and don't waste your money on Raptors unless you can get them for half price like I did.

For the price you pay for a 74GB Raptor, you could have a 400GB drive that has 90% of the performance of a Raptor and nearly 6x the space.
!