Only the brave may click on this... (Gigabyte G1975X)

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Yup, it's another Pentium D 805 post. I'm sorry, but I desperately need help. I have a :
Pentium D 805
Gigabyte G1975X
2gigs of DDR2 667
320gb hd
Gainward nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024mb
Thermaltake 560W Silent
Thermaltake Tai-Chi Case with liquid cooling

(The case+liquid cooling is a monster, there is no doubt that it will keep the cpu cool no matter what the temp.)

The problem :
I can overclock the cpu from 2.66ghz (133mhz) to 3ghz (150mhz) simple, and the cpu is only 27 degrees celcius at max load.

But when I try to overlock the FSB to anything over 150mhz and reboot for it to take effect, the motherboard automatically disables the bios's manual control over the cpu settings, reverting the FSB back to 133mhz.

I called Gigabtye and they said that it was a safety feature on the motherboard but they didnt know if I could turn it off (they were an English offshoot), Does anyone know how I can increase the FSB beyond 150mhz and keep it that way?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

(PS, i'm overclocking using the bios, not easytune 5, I find it crashes sometimes)

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
you suck, seriously, I need help here. I can run oblivion on max everything but the cpu stales every 5 minutes to keep up with the gpu. Must overclock.

you suck, seriously, I need help here. I can run oblivion on max everything but the cpu stales every 5 minutes to keep up with the gpu. Must overclock.

LOL, its not his fault you picked the wrong mobo, i even bet this is the first time you tried to OC a CPU and you have no idea what your doing. :lol:

GPU

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
BAD Choice of hardware my friend.if your so rich wy did you even bother to by a Pentium d 805.Oh and the next time you want to overclock bye an asus
mobo.

jocksteeluk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
you may need a diffrent bios to disable the safety feature, by the way i oc on gigabyte and i have no problems. Every asus board i have ever tried sucked and was highly erronorous,.

Don't know the other posters are telling you you suck and you don't know what you're doing instead of trying to offer something constructive...effing newbs...bunch of dinks!

Anyway, regarding your OC issue...make sure you have quality RAM, try using a different BIOS...and most improtantly, OC your machine from the BIOS do not use the software...to really tweek the system and get the results you desire, forget the software and change any and all setting from the BIOS...take your time and change the settings (fsb, voltage, multiplier, etc) in small increments and then stress the system to determine stability...you'll know your settings are bad because the machine won't POST, the machine won't boot, windows won't load, you get BSOD's, or running stressing the system makes it unstable...become familiar with the Clear CMOS jumper on your mobo...take your time, have patience, go in small increments, and good luck!

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
BAD Choice of hardware my friend.if your so rich wy did you even bother to by a Pentium d 805.Oh and the next time you want to overclock bye an asus
mobo.

8O

hahhaahhaahahhahahhah

srry .....

ok to BigMcJ u did update the bios ???

syn1kk

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
wow some people are being quite deuchey in their replies. but at the same time i think they are probably correct in their diagnosis.

It probably is the hardware that is limiting you overclocking. just a little history about mobo brands:

to me there are three big mobo brands for intel. gigabyte/msi/asus.

Features: If you look strictly at features offered you will notice they are all pretty much the same.

Price: usually gigabyte and msi are usually cheaper by a little. so most people snatch them up.

but for going the extra mile? Asus actually does that part. Asus always goes the extra mile letting you overclock. thats probably why they have a premium price. so yes it is worthwhile to spend the extra money on asus because in the end it saves you from buying a super expensive cpu because you can overclock your cheaper cpu.

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
thanks for all the help

in response, I bought crucial memory that they picked out for my mb specifically, no I have not updated the bios and finally, does anyone here actually have the same mb as me?

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
yes i have the same problem and it wont let me increase my FSB past i think 189 or something like it, i was also searching for some help on that subject and why do you have 2.66ghz cpu doesnt it bottleneck and screw up?

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
not really no
i get a 3D Mark 06 score of 5300 underclocked, 6030 overclocked to 3Ghz. For FEAR at maximum settings i get average FPS of 72, Oblivion is the only thing that is jerky.

But the CPU can go to 4.1, Tom himself used this motherboard, what did they do?

GPU

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
But the CPU can go to 4.1, Tom himself used this motherboard, what did they do?[/quote]

your pentium d 805 isnt the pentium d 805 toms hardware used.
oh and tom said the cpu will go up to 4.1 they didnt say it will be stable at that clock.the best clock they achieved was 3.8.i remember seeing a 7ghz 805 somewere on the net but the guys there were using liquid nitrogen.

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
no, mine is the exact same.
I've used CPU-Z, everything matches to what Toms pictures show.
I've used CPU clock utility, everything matches to what Toms pictures show.
Finally I checked the box and actually CPU itself, all marking and serial numbers are the exact same as what Toms pictures show.

And did you actually read the article? They say that it is stable at 4.1, unstable at 4.3

I've been increasing the FSB 1 Mhz at a time, at so far i'm up to 154mhz, so i have no fucking idea what the problem is (temp are 29 degree celcius at max load)

Yup, it's another Pentium D 805 post. I'm sorry, but I desperately need help. I have a :
Pentium D 805
Gigabyte G1975X
2gigs of DDR2 667
320gb hd
Gainward nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024mb
Thermaltake 560W Silent
Thermaltake Tai-Chi Case with liquid cooling

(The case+liquid cooling is a monster, there is no doubt that it will keep the cpu cool no matter what the temp.)

The problem :
I can overclock the cpu from 2.66ghz (133mhz) to 3ghz (150mhz) simple, and the cpu is only 27 degrees celcius at max load.

But when I try to overlock the FSB to anything over 150mhz and reboot for it to take effect, the motherboard automatically disables the bios's manual control over the cpu settings, reverting the FSB back to 133mhz.

I called Gigabtye and they said that it was a safety feature on the motherboard but they didnt know if I could turn it off (they were an English offshoot), Does anyone know how I can increase the FSB beyond 150mhz and keep it that way?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

(PS, i'm overclocking using the bios, not easytune 5, I find it crashes sometimes)

What brand of RAM do you have? When you increase the FSB you take the RAM speed with you. Just an idea of why you can get past 150 on your FSB and the system bios then reverts to default settings. RAM won't go there. It is possible you RAM won't run as fast as your overclocking the fsb is asking it to.

If you are up and running make sure you have the latest bios like others have mentioned. Your Pentium D Smithfield will go to 3.5, 3.6 without doing anything to the CPU voltage. If you want to go hugher you'll have to heat that processor up a bit.

antoant

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
no, mine is the exact same.
I've used CPU-Z, everything matches to what Toms pictures show.
I've used CPU clock utility, everything matches to what Toms pictures show.
Finally I checked the box and actually CPU itself, all marking and serial numbers are the exact same as what Toms pictures show.

There is a small mismatch with your setup and the one the people at THG used. When they did their OC article about the 805 they used an ASUS motherboard (Asus P5WD2-E Premium) and they also used DDR2-800 RAM (OCZ DDR2-800). 805 OC Article

What you bought was the stuff they listed in their DIY 4GHz rig for 600 euros ($700) At the end of that article they say that you can take advantage of the OC capability of the 805 if you want to, as they showed in their previous article. However it does not say anythong about them OC the current setup. They don't even have benchmarks for the rig in the second article.

They say that it is stable at 4.1, unstable at 4.3
This is true, however, as I said this was in their first article.

I agree with the guys that said that it might be your MB and/or your RAM although at 150 MHz and with a multiplier of 4 you only get 600Mhz which both your MB and RAM should be able to handle. So i suggest you first flash that BIOS with the newest one and try again.

GL and I hope you get it to work.

Tom_Shaftoe

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
"There is a small mismatch with your setup and the one the people at THG used. When they did their OC article about the 805 they used an ASUS motherboard (Asus P5WD2-E Premium) and they also used DDR2-800 RAM (OCZ DDR2-800). 805 OC Article "
Actually if you had read the whole article (well I can understand not wanting to read all 40 plus pages) you would have noticed this:

"Choosing the right chipset for this overclocking project is easy: all chipsets that support dual core processors command a FSB that runs at least at 200 MHz, which also means that any of them can support the Pentium D 805. We were able to successfully implement our overclocking project, in fact, using the following motherboards from Asus and Gigabyte:

* Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
* Asus P5WD2-WS Premium (Intel 975x)
* Asus P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955X)
* Gigabyte G1975X Turbo (Intel 975X)
* Gigabyte 8I955X Royal (Intel 955X)L/li>"

From from page 11 of A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True? article. So actually according to Tom's Hardware you can get get this exact overclock to work on a Gigabyte G1975X Turbo all the way up to 4.1GHz. No question about that according to Tom's Hardware. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that BigMcJ followed the Toms Hardware Guide article more closely than I did, but he's getting stuck at 3GHz...none of the other Pentium D 805's I've heard of were this limited. My System can get all the way up to 4.15GHz on air, but it's too hot and not stable...It's rock solid at 4GHz...and I'm using a frikin nForce4 board! It's not even mentioned in the Tom's article, I was crazy to try it, and it worked. So yeah, if it hadn't worked, and I had come on here, and posted then I could maybe understand people poking a bit of good humored fun at me. However, BigMcJ actually didn't try to do anything particularly silly, and he got some really stupid responses. I think everyone who made those responses is just jealous of his GX2...I know I am, but I'm decent enough not to be small about it. So lets try and help him out, offer honest and good advice, and like our mothers told us "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Remember, some day it's going to be you who are asking for help.

My System Specs:
Intel Pentium D 805 (BX80551PE2666FNSL8ZH) @ 3.795GHz
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (running in Dual Channel) @ 813MHz
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED
2 x Western Digital WD800JD 80G SATA 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drives (In RAID 0)
Zalman CNPS9500LED-CU
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
Antec NeoHE 550 High Efficiency 550W Power Supply Unit
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case
Windows XP Professional SP2
ASUS E616AG/A5 16X DVD-ROM
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black)

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
BigMcJ said:
not really no
i get a 3D Mark 06 score of 5300 underclocked, 6030 overclocked to 3Ghz. For FEAR at maximum settings i get average FPS of 72, Oblivion is the only thing that is jerky.

Oblivion will be jerky even with that sexy video card ya got there..Im getting around 60 ish fps with my new 1900xtx..had to go with the ati card for that game

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
"There is a small mismatch with your setup and the one the people at THG used. When they did their OC article about the 805 they used an ASUS motherboard (Asus P5WD2-E Premium) and they also used DDR2-800 RAM (OCZ DDR2-800). 805 OC Article "
Actually if you had read the whole article (well I can understand not wanting to read all 40 plus pages) you would have noticed this:

"Choosing the right chipset for this overclocking project is easy: all chipsets that support dual core processors command a FSB that runs at least at 200 MHz, which also means that any of them can support the Pentium D 805. We were able to successfully implement our overclocking project, in fact, using the following motherboards from Asus and Gigabyte:

* Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
* Asus P5WD2-WS Premium (Intel 975x)
* Asus P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955X)
* Gigabyte G1975X Turbo (Intel 975X)
* Gigabyte 8I955X Royal (Intel 955X)L/li>"

From from page 11 of A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True? article. So actually according to Tom's Hardware you can get get this exact overclock to work on a Gigabyte G1975X Turbo all the way up to 4.1GHz. No question about that according to Tom's Hardware. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that BigMcJ followed the Toms Hardware Guide article more closely than I did, but he's getting stuck at 3GHz...none of the other Pentium D 805's I've heard of were this limited. My System can get all the way up to 4.15GHz on air, but it's too hot and not stable...It's rock solid at 4GHz...and I'm using a frikin nForce4 board! It's not even mentioned in the Tom's article, I was crazy to try it, and it worked. So yeah, if it hadn't worked, and I had come on here, and posted then I could maybe understand people poking a bit of good humored fun at me. However, BigMcJ actually didn't try to do anything particularly silly, and he got some really stupid responses. I think everyone who made those responses is just jealous of his GX2...I know I am, but I'm decent enough not to be small about it. So lets try and help him out, offer honest and good advice, and like our mothers told us "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Remember, some day it's going to be you who are asking for help.

My System Specs:
Intel Pentium D 805 (BX80551PE2666FNSL8ZH) @ 3.795GHz
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (running in Dual Channel) @ 813MHz
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED
2 x Western Digital WD800JD 80G SATA 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drives (In RAID 0)
Zalman CNPS9500LED-CU
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
Antec NeoHE 550 High Efficiency 550W Power Supply Unit
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case
Windows XP Professional SP2
ASUS E616AG/A5 16X DVD-ROM
NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black)

Tom you are 100% correct about the punks not trying to help this guy out

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I dont think its a hardware problem , its should be a setting in your bios You might have to go to a different forum because the dingbats here are of little help and are mostly good for criticizing and thread crapping.

things i can think of in bios:
under advanced only tm2 should be enabled for cpu protect
under MIT
c.a.m =high
R.G.B =auto
cia = disabled

also did you clear the cmos? I think the system memory multiplier is set for a 800mhz fsb by default. check the manual.

BigMcJ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
its working, thats to everyones help (mainly telling me to mess with anything and everything + ram) its currently up to 3.6ghz with only 5 degree incress in temp. The thing was a setting from the overvoltage on the ram, i had it set to auto but in reality it wasnt doing anything to match what i was doing. increassing that was the trick. I plan to overclock it to the full 4ghz but tomorrow cause I have exams tomorrow. Thanks again to all.