ASUS-Rock 939 Dual Sata2 Not Posting With PCI Video Card?

skurge

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Hello, I am trying to build a system with the following:

MB: ASUS ROCK 939 Dual SATA2
Video: NVIDIA 5900 - PCI
HD: Maxtor 300 - IDE
MD: 56k USRobotic -PCI
Floppy: Compusa
Audio: On Board
Lan: On Board

I have installed everything correctly. The system is not posting. Can I use a PCI Video card instead of the PCI Express OR AGP?

sturm

Splendid
If your not getting any video then yes try an agp or pci video card. If you can get to the bios there should be an option to select agp or pci-e as primary video.
If the computer will post with an agp or pci video card then i would guess the 5900 video card is bad. Is there any power connections on the video card? Have you reseated the 5900 card?

skurge

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I have taken the 5900 from a working computer. It was working in the other computer. I have not gotten a bios screen? Maybe it the motherboard is not grounded to the case good enough?

sturm

Splendid
do you get any beeps at all when trying to power up?
Take the config down to bare minimum, 1 hard drive, 1 stick of memory (2 if ddr2), cpu and vid card.
You can also track down where its getting stuck at by removing the vid card and memory, leaving just the cpu. You should get a memory error beep code if the cpu is working correctly. If you dont get any beeps then reseat the cpu. If it still doesnt work then remove the motherboard from the case and place it on an anti-static bag. Hook up the power connection to the mother board and see if it will work outside the case. If it does then double check the standoffs, making sure you dont have any extra ones.

If it still doesnt work then either the board or cpu is bad. Try another cpu or put your cpu in another computer to test it.