"Size Of AMD's Dell Hook-Up Set To Shock"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
THE HALLS OF COMPUTEX have fallen silent, but information gathered around Taipei is that AMD will be a big winner come autumn.
We have seen some documents that shed new light onto the whole AMD-Dell deal.

And it seems Dell has placed design orders with several companies for kits bristling with AMD chips.

There are some very, very interesting desktop and mobile business designs, as Dell prepares to kick back at the Intel-Apple axis.

Of course, Dell has prepared AMD designs in the past, if only to wind up Intel. But how times change.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32536

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
You can't compare Dell+AMD to Apple+Intel. That's the old Apples and Oranges story.

Well, I guess Dell is "kinda" upset with this agreement intel has with Apple.

What agreement between Intel and Apple are you referring to? They've agreed to do business, that's it. Why would Dell want to take the screws to Intel for wanting another customer? I understand that Dell might feel a little threatened by the new competition in the market that Apple brings, but why should they be mad at Intel for that?

Well, the Intel-Apple situation does affect Dell. If Apple wins or losses customers due to switching to Intel processors it will affect Dell's marketshare.

Now I still think Dell's timing would be absurd, why switch to AMD on the heel of Conroe? For the longest time AMD has been better and cheaper. Intel finally stepped up to the AMD challenge by creating Intel Core Microarchitechture, and this prompts Dell to start selling AMD? That's bizzare.

I'm all for AMD chips in Dell machines. Imagine what AMD could come up with if they had even more sales. With all the new and upgraded fabs AMD should be up to supplying Dell-like quantities, perhaps that has been the hold-up...

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The inquirer, HORDE, 9-inch. You can't believe it.

INTEL has better architecture know and DELL put in this machines the cheaper thing they found

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well, the Intel-Apple situation does affect Dell. If Apple wins or losses customers due to switching to Intel processors it will affect Dell's marketshare.

Now I still think Dell's timing would be absurd, why switch to AMD on the heel of Conroe? For the longest time AMD has been better and cheaper. Intel finally stepped up to the AMD challenge by creating Intel Core Microarchitechture, and this prompts Dell to start selling AMD? That's bizzare.

I'm all for AMD chips in Dell machines. Imagine what AMD could come up with if they had even more sales. With all the new and upgraded fabs AMD should be up to supplying Dell-like quantities, perhaps that has been the hold-up...

teh problem a lot of analysts are seeing is that Intel dropped the special perks Dell was getting. Now it doesn't help them have lower prices than HP. Also Dell has a problem where how do you sell PD when you have Core 2? if they're going to take a bath they might as well get some of that enthusiast money.

didn't prescott need water cooling? Water on AM2 will hit 3.2+ So Dell is maybe trying to save people money on their light bill.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

teh problem a lot of analysts are seeing is that Intel dropped the special perks Dell was getting. Now it doesn't help them have lower prices than HP. Also Dell has a problem where how do you sell PD when you have Core 2? if they're going to take a bath they might as well get some of that enthusiast money.

didn't prescott need water cooling? Water on AM2 will hit 3.2+ So Dell is maybe trying to save people money on their light bill.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Why would Dell want to take the screws to Intel for wanting another customer?

For the same reason Intel has put the screws to companies that don't want to exclusively deal with Intel.

Are you saying that by leveling the playing field(i.e., no more deep discounts and special treatment for Dell) Intel is putting the screws to companies that don't want to exclusively deal with Intel? If so, then you are also saying that AMD has always put the screws to all of it's customers, because they have never offered this like Intel.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
You can't compare Dell+AMD to Apple+Intel. That's the old Apples and Oranges story.

how is that an apple and oranges story?

there are several parallels in such a comparison.
Indeed there are more than several, but that still doesn't really justify comparing Apple and Dell, they are two very different companies IMO, especially in this scenario.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

INTEL has better architecture know and DELL put in this machines the cheaper thing they found

If that's all it's about (and it may be) then why didn't they do this years ago? For years, AMD has been cheaper than Intel.

I don't think you can underestimate how important the dell deal is, especially on the server side, where margins larger.

For business sales, I think the key is who has the best price/performance and performance/watt ratios. You have to look at total cost and at this point, we simply don't know how that will work out.

One thing is for sure, joe accountant's new PC doesn't need a conroe or an FX## processor. For that user, an Athlon 64 3000 is more than enough performance, so all that matters is how much juice does it use and how much heat does it put out vs a comparably priced Intel machine.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Moo.

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

If that's all it's about (and it may be) then why didn't they do this years ago? For years, AMD has been cheaper than Intel.

I don't think you can underestimate how important the dell deal is, especially on the server side, where margins larger.

For business sales, I think the key is who has the best price/performance and performance/watt ratios. You have to look at total cost and at this point, we simply don't know how that will work out.

One thing is for sure, joe accountant's new PC doesn't need a conroe or an FX## processor. For that user, an Athlon 64 3000 is more than enough performance, so all that matters is how much juice does it use and how much heat does it put out vs a comparably priced Intel machine.

AMD are cheaper for years in retail but Dell have discounts and get Intel processors cheaper than AMDs. Know Intel stops doing that and Dell can't make desktops cheaper than HP etc and lose the advantage.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
This doesn't make much sense to me. Apple customers are drawn to the OS and applications, not the processor so much. I can't imagine people waffling between Dell and Apple because they really want an Intel chip in their next computer...

I don't think that the Apple/Intel thing has cost Dell one bit of business. It's certain that not having Opteron cost them some server sales.