Geforce4ti4200 > Atix800XT

JustThetwoOfUs

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
wow
i have had some problems with my atix800xt, fps jumping from 125 down to 40 in games like call of duty or enemy territory (with like the worst graphic settings possible!!), tried omega drivers and the ati's, didnt help, formatted, reinstalled windows, still the same

now i just for fun tried my old geforce4ti4200 (which has a broken cooler=P) and it works with steady ~100 fps in both games

its really weird, can some1 help me? maybe some settings in bios are wrong or i have done anything else wrong which i cant think of(and i havent changed anything in bios either)

i would keep the geforce and sell the x800xt if it stays like this and no1 can help me, but for newer games i think it wont be doing too well and id fear it would burn my pc down =P

tnx in advance

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Driver conflictions possibly. Maybe in insufficient power supply unit.
Other thing too, unless you manually set your resolution in games along with your details, textures, lighting, etc.... The game does it for you.

So you might not realize your running @ higher quality settings with your X800XT which would explain why you lose frame rate occasionally.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Also realize your x800 is going to be drawing far more effects and what not because it supports DX9.0 while the Ti4200 only supports DX8.0.

So the slowdowns could be when theres a lot of action going on and what not and it has to draw a lot more while your Ti4200 is only drawing a far less complicated scene.

cleeve

Illustrious
Call of duty... that's probably a DX9 game, not sure about enemy territory though... but 40fps at minimum settings? Which resolution are we talking?

Not your power supply, insufficient PSU will cause crashing, not frametare slowdowns.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Cleeve: A PSU that has high voltage lux on it can cause frame rate dip.
For example, Don't plug your external line into a PCI-E GPU, the clock frequencies remain the same, and your machine will post and boot (depending on the system, but most of the time it works) and run a game. Your rates will drop dramatically but it will still keep chugging along.

I did the exact same thing with my 7800GT and now my X1800XT....

EDIT: Now that I re-read that, its not a great comparison lol. Anywho.

Run driver cleaner and reinstall the latest Cat's, Omega's or whatever 3rd party preference you have then get back to us.

cleeve

Illustrious
Interesting. I'l take your word for it, although I've only personally seen bad PSU's cause crashing.

So in your experience, how much of a difference did it make when you got a better PSU?

GPU

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
it might be a videocard bios problem.my 5900xt had a bad bios wich kept reporting that insufficient power is reaching the gpu and then it automaticly slowed down the core and memory clocks resulting in slow FPS.

cleeve

Illustrious
Oh yeah, shoulda known - wolfenstein: enemy territory would be OGL for sure, based on the Quake 3 engine right?

Wasn't sure about COD though.

Well, there you have it. Something is terribly wrong. :)

JustThetwoOfUs

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
lol thanks =P
in bios i set it to 256 mb now, was 128
uh i didnt get to test it yet
but i installed sp2 now, and the ati with the newest catalyst drivers
i just noticed that when i scroll down on websites or in other windows
it goes down and up "jerky", i dont know how to describe it but i think you guys know what i mean

u know why this shit happens?
btw, at first i wanted to start et but there was some directx message, so i reinstalled mobo, sound and gfx drivers again

and now its what i said above

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
when you say jerky, do you mean the whole screen or just the stuff on the page. if its just the webpage then its your mouse wheel because it wasent turned fully and it cant decide what you want to it messes up like that.

if its the whole screen then like others have said, driver problem.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
What CPU are you using?
It could be that you are running into CPU limitations when running dx9 whereas when you had you GF4 in you could only run dx8.1

JustThetwoOfUs

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
yea, it was a driver problem, or a driver setting problem

in PCI settings it was PCI read off, set it to on now its going well, and the games start too, the performance is about as with the geforce now, but if i would disable AA and agp speed from 8 to 4 maybe it would be better, or even normal? :p

tnx for your help all

ps: im a noob at this, why did pci read off change anything when i got an agp card :oops:

EDIT. the jerky window shit wasnt only with scrolling, it was by using the right bar thingie too =p
EDIT2:p: what means temporal antialiasing

lol if u answer all these questions im really thankful :D

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Temporal AA was ATI's "brilliant" idea too achieve better IQ.

Basically, instead of using more AA samples to maintain a better image,
the temporal switches the AA usage back and forth (like hot potatoe) between
a high and low sample to make it "look" or simulate a high sample pattern.

However from my experience, TAA was quite shoddy. Causing frame rate drop when I was still sitting on my X800 GPU's. But I learned later the driver disables TAA after dropping below 60fps in most games and reverts back normal AA samples. --IMO, dont bother and just disable the thing.

As for 8x to 4x AGP. The difference is not anything noticable, but I wouldnt be the first person to lower it though. If you can say @ 8x AGP. Hense why I said disable TAA---that might help your overall experience. Maybe you should turn fastwrites off as well? (provided their on)

Go into your BIOS and set your primary video display as AGP.
There should be an advanced settings tab with either PCI or AGP as your choice. Then make sure your Arpeture size is 256mb as well.....

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
you got it my friend ........

i can get more frames with a gf 4 mx 440 ..but ..... in dx8......meaning no shaders .. no details..etc.....

with a x800xl dx9 setup....max details ...if a remember correctly i got between 50 .. and 70 fps ..which is very good.....a 6800gs performed a liitle worse ..but still very playable

you can get more with a gf4mx440 or whatever (ti4200) but in dx8 or worse ... but the game looks lokie hell ...

GF4MX is Geforce2 based - meaning it supports DX 7 (!).

A ti4200 in good condition, from a good manufacturer, can chug quite a load in OpenGL and ask for more.

An Ati with drivers just so-so from an unknown manufacturer on an AGP 8x port will slow down under the level attained by a ti4200.

I own a MSI ti4200 (DX8); my bro' has a (noname) Radeon 9500 (DX9).

I installed NFS:Underground 2 on both machines.
- it ran without too much problems on the ti
- it had to be set at lowest graphical settings on the Radeon (640x480, no texture filtering, no blur, no AA, low textures, nothing). On top of that, it would often freeze. Until...

- I reduced its AGP rate from 8x to 4x; I activated fast writes though. Took care of freezes.
- I cleaned it (dust puppy). A bit more stable yet.
- new drivers, from Ati's website (Catalyst 6.3 then 6.4, but with CCC 5.9). A good registry cleanup helped.
- new AGP bus driver (Nforce2).

The PC was a W2Ksp4 that hadn't been reinstalled for some time, a corrupted registry dating back to a severe virus infection - but a reinstall provided no significant speed boost.

After that, NFSU2 ran MUCH better on the Radeon 9500 (1024x768, max textures, aniso, blur, HDR, AA when I don't want to go fast).

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Unfortunately we really can't compare a 9500 to an X800 bud.

wierd how you solve your issues though. Driver update makes sense, yes.
But reducing the AGP rate?....fastwrites though are a given, usually recommended to be enabled 95-9800 series......depending on the system.

well, considering that AGP8X doubles the transfert rate on the same carrier frequency, it would stand to reason that poor quality electronics or just bad luck would introduce interferences that would berelevant at 8X, but not at 4x...

If a 9500 can get such a boost with what I did, it would be reasonable to think that a X800 would also get some kick to the @$$...

Updating the AGP driver can also be an help, but so can be a mobo BIOS upgrade - some BIOSes just don't like some pieces of hardware.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Its Because That Its An ATI No Just Kidding. As The Guy Said Below You Possibly A Conflict, Not Enuff Power Or Even Possible Overheating, Causing Throttling