Antec vs. Thermaltake Noise Levels.

AaronPower

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hi guys,

I have a thermaltake purepower butterfly 480w im currently using and the sucker is loud as hell, the max says 48db (i dont know what that equates to in terms of annoyance) but I cant sleep in the same room as it.

I was thinking of getting an Antec SmartPower 400w, im told they are pretty quiet, around 25db and are cheap.

Any other suggestions for a 400w+ silent one thats not too expensive (ie. not a fanless one.)

Im planning on replacing my casefans with the vantec silent ones aswell. Any other good tips on silencing my case?

Thanks again!
-AP

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Try to replace all the 80mm and 90mm fans with 120mm, even if this means modding your case with a dremel. Get a fan controller so you can turn the rpms down when you aren't actively using the computer.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I have a thermaltake purepower butterfly 480w im currently using and the sucker is loud as hell, the max says 48db (i dont know what that equates to in terms of annoyance) but I cant sleep in the same room as it.

I was thinking of getting an Antec SmartPower 400w, im told they are pretty quiet, around 25db and are cheap.

Any other suggestions for a 400w+ silent one thats not too expensive (ie. not a fanless one.)

Im planning on replacing my casefans with the vantec silent ones aswell. Any other good tips on silencing my case?

Thanks again!
-AP

smart power is noiseless

AaronPower

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Well it can't be literally noiseless because of the fans inside.

I'm waiting for the techs at work to get a computer that has one of them (Antec SmartPower 400w) to see exactly how much more quite it would be in actuality... since 48dB vs. 25dB means nothing to me.