Sign in with
Your question

Which sound card to choose?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2006 5:55:20 PM

I was hoping on making a little upgrade on my sound card, but I found two that were in my price range (which is 100-150 dallors) I would love to get your help.......

These are the two cards I found that I think would be good for me....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

I would like a good gaming card and I believe that these are good, but I know they are not the best..... Thx everyone

More about : sound card choose

June 22, 2006 6:36:12 PM

dont know anything about the asuntech, never heard of it.

the xfi is flat incredible. The ability to "expand" the range of mp3's (essentially reverse-engineer the compression) and to literally make headphones sound HUGE in games is amazing. (the best virtual surround I have EVER heard for headphones)

if you listen to alot of mp3s or do alot of gaming, get the xfi. you will not be dissapointed. (read the articles here on tom's, you will have to search, but worth it)
June 22, 2006 8:14:15 PM

I think you find the majority would agree that the X-Fi is the better card, especially for gaming. While its a great card you'll not get to enjoy it unless you have at least reasonably descent speakers. ...or let me put that in the proper light... You'll get more out of your reasonably descent speakers if you go with a card in the X-Fi's class, especially when gaming. If you have lower-end speakers (sub $100), you may get better enjoyment out of upgrading those before adding a more capable sound card such as an X-Fi..
Related resources
June 22, 2006 9:55:26 PM

Well I am getting new speakers to, but I really dont know what I should get in the category too... I was thinking of getting these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

My Budget is like 100-200 but I might go up to 250 if it is really worth it....

Hopefully you can give some suggestions......
June 22, 2006 10:07:55 PM

Speakers are, of course, the most important part of the sound system. In your budget of up to $250 the Logitech Z5500's or the Creative G500 hit the mark. From the reviews I've read and the opinions of other forum members I'd point you to the Z5500's. Is there any way you can listen to a speaker system before you buy? I'm not sure I'd take anyone else's word totally on something subjective like speakers.
June 22, 2006 11:57:25 PM

Quote:
Is there any way you can listen to a speaker system before you buy? I'm not sure I'd take anyone else's word totally on something subjective like speakers.

very good advice, I second it.

in addition you should also look at good headphones if you use them at all. Worse than how many ppl get cheap speakers is how many have good speakers and then use $5 headphones and use them more than the speakers! I have a great set of plantronics that pair wonderfully w/ the xfi. my comp speakers are only a set of logitech x530s ($50 5.1 setup) but I just dont use them much. (I run a cord to my home theater when I want to rock the tunes) I use the headphones more than anything.

EDIT: oh, and those speakers you linked to are good, the z5500 are going to be better, but those 5300s are nothing to sneeze at. You will probably like both... but definitely go down to a best buy or something and try them out if you can
June 24, 2006 7:50:27 AM

Quote:
Is there any way you can listen to a speaker system before you buy? I'm not sure I'd take anyone else's word totally on something subjective like speakers.

very good advice, I second it.

in addition you should also look at good headphones if you use them at all. Worse than how many ppl get cheap speakers is how many have good speakers and then use $5 headphones and use them more than the speakers! I have a great set of plantronics that pair wonderfully w/ the xfi. my comp speakers are only a set of logitech x530s ($50 5.1 setup) but I just dont use them much. (I run a cord to my home theater when I want to rock the tunes) I use the headphones more than anything.

EDIT: oh, and those speakers you linked to are good, the z5500 are going to be better, but those 5300s are nothing to sneeze at. You will probably like both... but definitely go down to a best buy or something and try them out if you can

I totally agree on the headphones. I actually went with descent headphones and a headphone amp... though neither model I chose is the best by any stretch, the sound quality slams anything I'd heard before. I had no idea that the world of HiFi headphones/amps was as extensive as it is.
June 25, 2006 7:34:20 AM

yes indeed... you can spend mucho-dinero on headphones just as easily as speakers
!