RAM settings mismatch, do i have a prob?

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
i had a kingston 512 mb (pc3200) memory. later i added a transcend memory (512,pc3200)
the timing of kingston is 3-3-3-7 while transcend is 2.5-3-3-8.

at first the FSB:DRAM was 5:4 (according to cpu-z).
i set the timings in the bios to 3-3-3-7 to make it 1:1. my pc ran flawlessly the next 2 months, but there were some boot prob (no display) later on. now this problem became permanent and the pc refuses to boot under my settings. how ever, when i set thing to default, it boots with no problem and i haven't had any prob since. but the ratio is 5:4.

should i be worried? i only got 5 marks less under these new setting in 3dmark 05. memtest shows no error.

to summerize check these out:
11.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I'm not sure why you're having problems, but most RAM should run ok out of spec by a little bit. I'd try running it at 3-3-3-8 in 1:1 just to make sure it isn't the timings (since these are a combination of the slowest availible for each stick). If this doesn't fix it, its probably something else. What motherboard/CPU/power supply are you using?

-mcg

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i had a kingston 512 mb (pc3200) memory. later i added a transcend memory (512,pc3200)
the timing of kingston is 3-3-3-7 while transcend is 2.5-3-3-8.

at first the FSB:DRAM was 5:4 (according to cpu-z).
i set the timings in the bios to 3-3-3-7 to make it 1:1. my pc ran flawlessly the next 2 months, but there were some boot prob (no display) later on. now this problem became permanent and the pc refuses to boot under my settings. how ever, when i set thing to default, it boots with no problem and i haven't had any prob since. but the ratio is 5:4.

should i be worried? i only got 5 marks less under these new setting in 3dmark 05. memtest shows no error.
You could try boosting your RAM voltage by .10v. See if that helps. GL :)

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
i am using intel 865 GBF.

i tried the settings 3-3-3-8 (lowest of the sticks). this was the settings in the first 2 months before any problem occured. but now the pc wont boot on this setting.

what will happen if i leave it default? i dont mind a bit of performance loss.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i am using intel 865 GBF.

i tried the settings 3-3-3-8 (lowest of the sticks). this was the settings in the first 2 months before any problem occured. but now the pc wont boot on this setting.

what will happen if i leave it default? i dont mind a bit of performance loss.
Reset BIOS, then pull out one stick, then reboot. If the problem is gone, then it's the stick you removed(or it isn't playing nice with the other). Then try the same with the other stick...maybe one stick is acting up. You could also try running one stick at a time, and run Memtest for a while, and see if either stick is producing errors. GL :)

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
nope, the sticks are workin fine when alone.

i am usin heavy applications such as video editin stuffs. no prob showed up. although a blue screen error came when i wanted to burn a faulty cd.

should i still get identical ram? it might be hard to find identical rams after all these days.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
nope, the sticks are workin fine when alone.

i am usin heavy applications such as video editin stuffs. no prob showed up. although a blue screen error came when i wanted to burn a faulty cd.

should i still get identical ram? it might be hard to find identical rams after all these days.
That may be what you're going to have to do. It won't be hard to find a pair yet. They don't HAVE to be identical, as in a dual-channel kit, just 2 of the same Make, Speed, and Timings. Same line also...such as HyperX,or XMS. GL

It sounds like the 2 sticks are incompatable, they need a divorce. :wink: