Is it safe to get a nice video card off ebay?

peterwilc

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I am seeing some insane deals on there and I was wondering what I should be looking for when buying from ebay....

I mean, saving $100 on a video card sounds almost too good to be true.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6&satitle=X1900+XTX&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
If the seller has a very positive feedback, then it's safer. I wouldn't buy anything from eBay. I'd rather pay little more, and not get cheated. It also depends if you want to take the risk.

Sammy_TicTac

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
IMO, if you know what youre doing, its can be safer buying something from eBay than from shops.

The fact that you can see feedback for past graphics cards they may have sold is helpful. The return policy may be a slight let down but there still should be one.

Certainly in the UK, looking at www.resellerratings.com I cant find a shop in the UK that isnt rated 2/10, and yet 98% feedback is considered bad on eBay.

I have never had a problem buying from eBay.

cleeve

Illustrious
Like the other guys said. Guidelines not to get screwed:

1) Pay attention to feedback. I wouldn't advise paying more than $100 for something from somebody who has less than great feedback, the more the better.

2) if it's too good a deal, it probably is... if a seller has 7 positive feedbacks and is selling an X1800 XT for $150 buy it now, it's a sham.

3) Also look for dubious stuff... if they're including free shipping to anywhere in the world or something rediculous like that. Sham!

4) Use a credit card. If it's a scam, VISA will protect you. I got screwed twice on ebay over 5 years now, and once was over $100 - I used a VISA through Paypal, Paypal told me to screw off but VISA gave me the cash back very quickly. It's not worth the bad PR to them.

All that makes it sound worse than it is though, it's pretty safe.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I've never had a problem with the ol' eBay. In fact I recently picked up a new x800 for $25, which is about $100 saved. Take the necessary precautions and you'll be fine. There's lots of good people trying to make a living on eBay and there's really nothing wrong with that.

weilin

Distinguished
unless there is a reserved price, theoretically no. He is obligated to sell the item to you.
He can hide though, and pretend he already sent it but usually Ebay would allow you to get your money back and ban the seller.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ive Bought Several Video-Cards Off Of E-Bay And Havent Had A Dud (Including A Used 5800Ultra That Is In My Old Machine To Witch Had Given To A Friend), Just Make Sure The Person Has Positive Feedback