Western Digital issue with a 550W PS?

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
I seem to have an issue, it seems my Rosewill 550W PS will not power 2 SATA WD drives without burning out the primary. The OS drive seems to "click" for about 2 min, before it shuts down and will not work. Here is the setup:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
2GB Corsair Low Latency RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900GT 256
Dual WD SATA HDD NOT in RAID
Single DVD-RW with Lightscribe and floppy drive
Rosewill 550W Modular PS

My issue is this, This is the 2nd HDD I used in this new system, and it only clicks when I have my data drive (D: ) plugged in. The original one burnt after about 1 hour of use. What am I doing wrong? I know others have 2-4 WD HDD in their systems, why can't I have only 2 in mine? Newegg was great on RMA'ing the other, but if I send back another one, they will blame me (as would I)...

Any ideas? I did the PS calculator and it only said I 'required' 275W... about.

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Your power supply is bad not the HD. It could also be a motherboard short leading to the power supply to failure. As drives age the draw more current that's why replacing the drive seem to fix the problem. In most cases the drive it fine.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Two Raptors HDD (the most power-hungry WD drives) draw a maximum of 1.5A from both 12V and 5V rail: it's equal to say nothing compared to at least 20A drawn by CPU and GPU!
I think your problem is with PSU, try to measure the 12V and 5V rails with a good multimeter: values read by motherboard ADC are always totally inaccurate and a difference greater than 5% may lead to serius damage to any storage device.
No damage should occour to CPU, mobo, PSU or RAM if the 3.3V rail is stable a within +/-5% because they take power directly from the 3.3V rail and obtain the lower voltages with dedicated high accuracy DC-DC converters not mounted on the PSU

The "click" you hear is symptom of burned spindle motor of HDD and yes, it usually happens when the 12V rail has overvoltages.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Actually I came up with 380w but that shouldn't make a difference to a 550w psu. I don't really trust modular supplies but some ppl really like them.

You could just have bad luck with 2 bad drives but I'd try using a different psu if you can.

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Thanks guys. So far, I replaced the cables going from the PS to the HDD's. I was using some weird flat power connecters and not molex. I changed to molex connectors and so far (knocks on wood), it is not clicking. But I also have not tried to write from D: to C:, so I dont know if that will do anything.

I do appreciate the time it took for you to reply.

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Knocking on wood didnt help. It failed again. THis time after an hour. I guess I will RMA the PS to Newegg and get a different one.

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
I always thought Rosewill was a good PS maker. I have friends that have them and never had an issue. I RMA'd the Rosewill to Newegg and got :

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - instead.

if the clicking happens again, I can only think its the board after this.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I always thought Rosewill was a good PS maker. I have friends that have them and never had an issue.

Rosewill is a Newegg housebrand. Newegg simply buys OEM products, slaps on the name "Rosewill" and sells it.

in other words rosewill sux