Suggestions on a AMD CPU for new gaming rig...

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Before I go on, let me say that yes, I know about the new Intel Conroe chip coming out. I am fully aware of it. I am also fully aware of the price cuts that AMD is going to be making here soon.

The reason im going to go with an AMD for my next rig is:

1.) I don't think there will be a general surplus of Conroe CPU's. Just a gut feeling.

2.) The cost for the Conroe CPU that I was looking at is $400. (that is after the probably, 20% markup, since they sell in bunches of 1000 for $314).

Let me say though that this rig will NOT be bought until after AMD slashes prices on their CPU's.

I just think that I could build a killer rig for awesome $$$ with the impending price cuts.

With that, I want this rig to be a gamer's rig.

I am thinking that the AM2 chipset will the way to go. The only question I have is, which AMD CPU would be a solid choice for gaming? (I think the FX chip is out, unless it drops in the $200 range). I'm looking at the X2 series?

I am not quite up to speed on the AMD CPU lines, so im not sure which are the better for running games. I know there are single core and dual core. Preference? Not really. If it would be wise to go with dual core for long run, that's fine. I'm really not particular there.

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I am just trying to line up parts so when the price cuts arrive, I can order my rig.

Much appreciated.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
For what you're looking at, the X2 is indeed the way to go. The 5000+ is a great CPU, but any X2 is a great performer. Dual-core is the future. Pair it up with some nice DDRII RAM and you have a great performer. The FX series is somewhat overrated(to be fair, so are most 'extreme' CPUs), C|Net tested a 5000+ and it ran neck-to-neck withthe FX-60.

RichPLS

Champion
Intel has been manufacturing retail Conroes for weeks, and there is 4 more weeks for stockpile production before shipping...
They stated their will be a hard launch, with many processors being shipped, and I tend to believe them on this, as they have been planning and performing as they originally stated...

Also, yes those prices are in lots of 1000, but as most know, using pricewatch, you find chips sell online for at or below the prices as per 1000 lots sell for...
So yes, some retailers will sell the E6700 for $650, but others will sell it much closer to the $530 cost...
I expect their will not be a problem finding an E6700 for under $600 at launch...

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
All good points and I appreciate it. I know the Conroe will be a better CPU.

However, with that, I know I can get a very good AMD X2 chip that should last a looonnng time.

With that, which of those AMD chips would be the way to go? The 3xxx series? The 4xxx series? Like I said, I am behind in knowing which of the AMD CPU's are better.

Much appreciated.

RichPLS

Champion
IMO, the X2-5000 would be a good AM2 supported chip... but I could not bring myself to pay that much for a chip that costs much more, performs much less and runs much hotter than Conroe variants...

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Reading some reports on the AMD Athlon and the x2 CPU's, I was surprised to see that the single core CPU's were doing very well in the gaming area, even surpassing some of the x2 dual core CPU's.

How about this; recommend one or two CPU's from each category; single core and dual core.

I don't think the FX CPU's will drop in price that much to warrant a valid option.

:)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
IMO, the X2-5000 would be a good AM2 supported chip... but I could not bring myself to pay that much for a chip that costs much more, performs much less and runs much hotter than Conroe variants...

I guess that means you would never have bought a P4 after 2004. :lol:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Reading some reports on the AMD Athlon and the x2 CPU's, I was surprised to see that the single core CPU's were doing very well in the gaming area, even surpassing some of the x2 dual core CPU's.

How about this; recommend one or two CPU's from each category; single core and dual core.

I don't think the FX CPU's will drop in price that much to warrant a valid option.

:)

Dual Core
4600+
5000+

Single core
FX57
4000+

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
well, i say screw am2, cuz it sucks right now, the 939 is superior, but its because am2 just came out, so amd is tying to get it working, if u are a hard gamer, like the ones that care about the last frame, get a single-core, if u like games, and maybe like running winamp or something like that in the background and not get cpu lag go for dual core, at least im going dual core, i wanna get a 4200 when it comes out, i total agree with ur plan, im gonna be getting a new pc in septmeber, so by that time am2 will have caught up and 939 will start to disapate, so either the price of 939's go up or go down.

single-core:

dual-core:
and any other one that is 1mb x 2 (althought the 3800 is 512k x 2, i put it there cuz its gonna be dirt cheap)

p.s i heard that the am2 5000 will cost less than the s939 x2 4800, because the 5000 is 512k x 2 and amd will drop 512k x 2 cpus more than the 1mb x 2 cpu's (they cost less to make)

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
single cores run WAY better in games cuz games are single-thread, but in a year or so they will become dual-thread, in other words in a year or so single core will be crap compared to the dual cores in everything, a 200 single-core can beat a 400 dual-core...i think

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Many AMD CPUs are on special at Newegg when you buy them as a combo :

You can get a 3800+ along with a Asus A8R32-MVP for 269$ instead of 319$ (420$ instead of 470$ if you go for an X2 3800+)

Just look around, some bundles with 50$ savings are available for S939, AM2, single and dual cores.

No idea how long those rebates will last though.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
When Conroe comes out, there will be no point in buying AMD, since a $300 Conroe can kill a $700 AMD.

Hypothetically of course.
Oh and that $700 AMD thats gonna get beat by a $300 Cornrow, will be $250. You get what you pay for, not more. AMD has never priced cpu's higher than the competition unless they are better and they have been better for a long time.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
When Conroe comes out, there will be no point in buying AMD, since a $300 Conroe can kill a $700 AMD.

Hypothetically of course.
Oh and that $700 AMD thats gonna get beat by a $300 Cornrow, will be $250. You get what you pay for, not more. AMD has never priced cpu's higher than the competition unless they are better and they have been better for a long time.

Got a link to the AMD 70% price cuts?

Noggin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Your best bet is to wait untill the end of July, then both intel and amd will have droped their prices, conroe will be out, we will be able to see its availiblity and weather or not it's price is being marked up by retailers.

Then you will be able to make an informed choice and buy either amd or intel based on the one that gives the best performance for your buck. We will have final retail benchmarks to compare fairly between both with all applications and games.

Seems like a bad idea to make a decision now based on the fact that conroe might get marked up in price, might be hard to get hold of and might end up worse value especially when evidence at the moment suggests that intel will be the way to go.

Sure it may mean its a couple of days extra till you can order your rig but at least you'll know you made the best decision and you will have the best gaming rig you can get for your money. Better to be patient for 2 days than regretfull for 2 years.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Lol 70% is a little excessive. Some will be slashed in priced by up to 50% though. Some people have probably seen this but for those who haven't, here is a link about the price cuts. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

I was just querying the fantasy fiction that seems to come from some forum members when it suits their needs...

Soon, it won't tbe the 'official' 50% cuts, or the unsubstantiated $700 to $250 but 'free with a box of muesli' which of course would make AMD the undisputed king as it would be the healthy option as well....