Laserjet 2100 Ghosting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc

This is a JetAdmin printer addressed primarily by XP Pro systems,
although I suspect that has little to do with the problem.

When new, no ghosts. In the middle of my second print cartridge I
start getting ghosts that repeat every 3.75", getting lighter as they
repeat. It is getting worse as time passes, to the point of
intolerable.

It seems from some other threads I've read here that the problem is
likely centered in the optical drum.

If that's the case, can any of 'yall give me a hint on how to fix the
problem? I'm pretty handy, but this thing looks like it is buttoned up
pretty tight.

thanks.

pc

pc

Wow! Check this site:
http://www.printertechs.com/tech/repdef/ruler2100.php

This would indicate that the problem I am experiencing is due to the
"photosensitive drum", which is probably the "optical drum" I have read
about.

Well, I bought a Vebatim EP-32X Toner Cartridge in lieu of the HP,
because it claimed lots more pages per cartridge. I'm probably not
half way through the toner. I'd beat myself up over this, but it seems
that people have had the same experience with new HP cartridges.

Inputs and observations apprecited.

pc

On 6-Apr-2005, "pc" <pc_whocares@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This would indicate that the problem I am experiencing is due to the
> "photosensitive drum", which is probably the "optical drum" I have read
> about.

As the drum rotates it's supposed to transfer its toner to the page to
form the printed image, toner may not get completely transferred, it
should then be removed from the drum to the waste toner hopper by
a scavenger blade. If this doesn't happen the toner, still as a printable,
though fainter, image comes round again, one drum circumference later.

It's a cartridge fault. You may soon start to get dark smudges on
the page.

pc

The site I referenced above plus the poster from 4/6 (thank you!)
pretty much narrow it down to the toner cart.

It turns out that most major brand cartridges have a lifetime warranty.
I called Verbatim today (800 538 8589 -- the number is on the
cartridge) and they told me that the toner only lasts 12 to 18 months.
That's pretty weird, considering it has a "lifetime warranty."

They're sending me a replacement cartridge, though. That's pretty
good. Try to get hold of a body at HP!

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:10:43 -0700, pc wrote:

> It turns out that most major brand cartridges have a lifetime warranty.
> I called Verbatim today (800 538 8589 -- the number is on the
> cartridge) and they told me that the toner only lasts 12 to 18 months.
> That's pretty weird, considering it has a "lifetime warranty."

That's because it's the "lifetime" of the cart, not your or the printers
"lifetime" ;-)

If the cart has reached it's "use by" date then it's life is over in
warranty terms:-(

--
Dave
I don't know what I'm doing. That' why I'm here.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

DaveG <dave-ng@nospam.tld> wrote:

> If the cart has reached it's "use by" date then it's life is over in
> warranty terms:-(

And this brings us back to the question I asked here a couple of weeks
ago, regarding the HP 96A cart for the LJ2100. I thought I remembered
from buying a replacement several years ago that the 'use by' date was
printed on the box. Now I just bought another one and can find no
information of that sort on the outside. How do you know how long it's
been sitting in the warehouse, without opening tyhe box?

cheers,

Henry