Good Day
River_Rat

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:OPxfThApEHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Can I?
--
William B. Lurie

Hi

You can download the SP2 file from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

or you can order the SP2 CD:

"Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?
> --
> William B. Lurie

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?

William,

Obviously you cannot download "SP2 on CD"
You can of course order SP2 on CD if you wish.
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?
> --
> William B. Lurie

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OJKcwlApEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Can I?
>

> William,
>
> Obviously you cannot download "SP2 on CD"
> You can of course order SP2 on CD if you wish.
> see
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Hey Mike, don't be a dumbass, his subject line stated, "Download SP2 "TO" a CD", not "ON" a CD. this can be done, once it is downloaded.

Yes, Just download the SP2 file, extract it then burn it to CD/DVD.

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?
> --
> William B. Lurie

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Staples is giving the SP2 CD away for free.

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?
> --
> William B. Lurie

Your absolutely right.

My apologies to the original poster.

However my post still stands - he could always order the CD directly and
gain the added value of what is on the CD beyond just copying the xpsp2.exe
file to a CD.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Tom" <nowat@nothere.com> wrote in message

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Can I?
>

> William,
>
> Obviously you cannot download "SP2 on CD"
> You can of course order SP2 on CD if you wish.
> see
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Hey Mike, don't be a dumbass, his subject line stated, "Download SP2 "TO" a
CD", not "ON" a CD. this can be done, once it is downloaded.

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

What "added value"? It is my understanding that the 266 MB download and the
MS CD are one and the same.

JAX

> Your absolutely right.
>
> My apologies to the original poster.
>
> However my post still stands - he could always order the CD directly and
> gain the added value of what is on the CD beyond just copying the
> xpsp2.exe file to a CD.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Tom" <nowat@nothere.com> wrote in message
>
> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> Can I?
>>

>> William,
>>
>> Obviously you cannot download "SP2 on CD"
>> You can of course order SP2 on CD if you wish.
>> see
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> Hey Mike, don't be a dumbass, his subject line stated, "Download SP2 "TO"
> a CD", not "ON" a CD. this can be done, once it is downloaded.

William, if you really want to have fun you can download the full version
and then slip stream it into your existing version of XP. You need SP2
download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
Your Windows XP CD (any flavour)
This little app called AutoStreamer which can be found here
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337
You must also have software capable of burning an ISO file. Nero or Easy CD
Creator will do it.

You end up with a version of XP has SP2 built right in.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can I?
> --
> William B. Lurie

So is Microsoft, just order on-line and they even pay the
postage.

| Staples is giving the SP2 CD away for free.
|
| "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
| > Can I?
| > --
| > William B. Lurie

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I did the SP2 all 3 ways: WUpdate, full download from MS, ordered the CD.
When I got the CD, SP2 (over SP2 RTM download) began installing but in the
end updated only 2 or 3 files (too lazy to search now which ones).
Michael

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> William, if you really want to have fun you can download the full version
> and then slip stream it into your existing version of XP. You need SP2
> download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
> Your Windows XP CD (any flavour)
> This little app called AutoStreamer which can be found here
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337
> You must also have software capable of burning an ISO file. Nero or Easy CD
> Creator will do it.
>
> You end up with a version of XP has SP2 built right in.

Now THAT is an intriguing idea, Harry, but I think
it might require more ancillary software than I have.
Thank you! I'm sure a lot of folks will find your
advice useful.

--
William B. Lurie

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> What "added value"? It is my understanding that the 266 MB download and
> the MS CD are one and the same.
>
> JAX

The CD contains in addition to the single 260MB+ file (xpsp2.exe)
The latest .Net Framework, the symbols (for developers), the latest tools
folder and contents (support tools etc) and the VALUEADD folder with third
party and Microsoft content.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

William B. Lurie wrote:

> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>
>> William, if you really want to have fun you can download the full
>> version and then slip stream it into your existing version of XP. You
>> need SP2 download
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>>
>> Your Windows XP CD (any flavour)
>> This little app called AutoStreamer which can be found here
>> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337
>> You must also have software capable of burning an ISO file. Nero or
>> Easy CD Creator will do it.
>>
>> You end up with a version of XP has SP2 built right in.
>>
> Now THAT is an intriguing idea, Harry, but I think
> it might require more ancillary software than I have.
> Thank you! I'm sure a lot of folks will find your
> advice useful.

Harry, I did the first part, i.e., downloaded, saved to CD and
also a new 'tempsp' folder. Then I went off line, disabled
any number of non-essential applications, and executed the
downloaded file. I accepted and so on, and watched it go
through its installation procedure.

Part way through it stopped with the error window saying
"Unable to read from or write to database. SP2 did not complete."

Is it something I did wrong?
Was the download link you gave me, above, one that requires
some ancillary software, e.g., the 'Autostreamer'?
Do I have to be online when it installs?
I hate to be online with my Norton Anti-Virus
disabled, but I have the recollection that
complications set in if I install SP2 while
the Norton AV is enabled.......

Please advise.....

William B. Lurie

How to install SP2 update

1) Run CW Shredder

2) Run Ad-Aware SE

3) Run Spybot S&D

4) Run 2 different free virus scanners

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?affid=294

5) Do it all 1 more time.

6) Turn Off System Restore to delete any trash trapped in them files.
(Reboot)

7) Delete Temp & Temp. Internet files.

http://www.aarp.org/computers-howto/Articles/a2002-07-15-tempfiles.html

8) Turn System Restore back on Create a Restore Point.

9) Unplug everything except the Monitor, Keyboard, & Mouse.

10) Shutdown Virus Protection

11) Proceed with install.

--

William B. Lurie wrote:

> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>
>> William, if you really want to have fun you can download the full
>> version and then slip stream it into your existing version of XP. You
>> need SP2 download
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>>
>> Your Windows XP CD (any flavour)
>> This little app called AutoStreamer which can be found here
>> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337
>> You must also have software capable of burning an ISO file. Nero or
>> Easy CD Creator will do it.
>>
>> You end up with a version of XP has SP2 built right in.
>>
> Now THAT is an intriguing idea, Harry, but I think
> it might require more ancillary software than I have.
> Thank you! I'm sure a lot of folks will find your
> advice useful.

Harry, I did the first part, i.e., downloaded, saved to CD and
also a new 'tempsp' folder. Then I went off line, disabled
any number of non-essential applications, and executed the
downloaded file. I accepted and so on, and watched it go
through its installation procedure.

Part way through it stopped with the error window saying
"Unable to read from or write to database. SP2 did not complete."

Is it something I did wrong?
Was the download link you gave me, above, one that requires
some ancillary software, e.g., the 'Autostreamer'?
Do I have to be online when it installs?
I hate to be online with my Norton Anti-Virus
disabled, but I have the recollection that
complications set in if I install SP2 while
the Norton AV is enabled.......

Please advise.....

William B. Lurie

br549

Just order it, it took less then 2 weeks to get.

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
Can I?
--
William B. Lurie

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Mike,

In order to install Drive Image 7, I downloaded .Net Framework from WUD and
then downloaded the update. This was after installing SP2 from the CD. Why
would WUD show NF as a download if it was installed by the SP2 CD? NF was,
of course offered by the DI install but, I chose to install from MS instead.

Where can I find information on the other "added values" you mention?

TIA, JAX

> Hi Mike,
>
> In order to install Drive Image 7, I downloaded .Net Framework from WUD
> and then downloaded the update. This was after installing SP2 from the CD.
> Why would WUD show NF as a download if it was installed by the SP2 CD? NF
> was, of course offered by the DI install but, I chose to install from MS
> instead.
>
> Where can I find information on the other "added values" you mention?

The package for the .Net Framework in on the CD but you still need to do the
install yourself the autorun on the CD only applies the SP2 package.
I'm not sure what other information you need - the tools etc are the same as
the ones on the regular XP CD as are most of the other components - just
some may have been updated to later versions.
The developer components (symbol files) are common knowledge to developers
who use them if they need them.
The third-party and Microsoft components in the VALUEADD folder are again
common to the base XP CD and contain the appropriate readme files or are
self explanatory.

--

Regards,

Mike