Sign in with
Your question

Fallen foul of ATA100 restrictions

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 22, 2006 10:10:15 PM

I have only just twigged why my 160GB hard disk only has 127GB of hard disk space - at the time of installing XP from scratch I scratched my head and just shrugged my shoulders and settled for it but now my hard disk is comming close to running out of space - I really could do with the extra few gigabytes or so until I get a new SATA drive and do a full rebuild this summer.

Correct me if I am wrong but have I fallen foul of ATA 100 restrictions? I am changing my ECS K7S5A motherboard for an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe which has ATA 133 and SATA 150 connections on them so I wondered is there any way I can recouperate the full 160GB space on the hard disk without having to format the whole hard disk drive? Is there a way I can recouperate it on my current motherboard or am I stuck with only 127GB until I can get it plugged into an ATA 133 controller??

More about : fallen foul ata100 restrictions

June 22, 2006 10:26:24 PM

Get WinXP SP1.
Its not an ATA issue, it sounds like the regular 137GB limit on WinXP issue which was fixed w/ SP1.

Or just partition your drive into 2 logical drives.
June 22, 2006 10:46:49 PM

Your answer is: No.

The reason you can't get any more space out of your drive is because you are actually using it all. A 160GB drive will be less space when it's formatted partially because of the formatting, and partially because it was mis-marketed as a 160GB drive (every manufacturer does this for marketing reasons).

And it is also not necessarily a Windows XP Issue either. After formatting and such on his "160GB" drive, he "lost" approximately 23GB, which probably is indicating the drive is technically and actually full.

You will need to get an additional drive, and whether it's IDE or SATA doesn't matter, as it won't gain you worlds of improvement, and you will experience this same issue with any drive you purchase regardless of manufacturer or specs, because ALL manufacturers currently do this. whose drive would you buy if you're standing in the store, the one with 127GB on the label or the one with 160GB on the label.?
June 22, 2006 10:56:00 PM

The reason for the size difference can be the way mfgs measure and actual calculations are made.
mfgs say 1Gig = 1000MBytes, 1MByte = 1000 KBytes and so on
but in actuality 1G = 1024MB, 1MB = 1024KB...
so if you do the calc you get
(1000MB x 1000KB x 1000B) /
(1024MB x 1024KB x 1024B)
=
0.9313~

so your 160Gig drive is actually
160*0.9313 = 149GB
June 23, 2006 10:44:34 AM

I only had the regular copy of XP - no service pack or anything so I had to install the service pack 1 after I set it up. Would Windows XP MCE 2005 have fixed this 137GB drive limit? as I intend to set up a 320GB SATA drive with that OS on and don't intend on having to make loads of partitions - this is the family computer and the concept of two hard drives is complicated enough for them!!

Also I understand that because of the marketing crap I would get less than 160GB actual space but as I thought I should be entitled to more than 127GB!! I've just looked into the Computer Management tool in XP and I have just discovered that I have 25.39GB of unallocated space marked in black next to the "healthy" 127GB partition! And my hard disk has been seen as a 153.38GB hard disk!! Why the fuck didnt the XP installation program see it as 153GB!!! - limit on pre SP1 installations right?

How can I use that unallocated space without losing my current 127GB partition and data? Can I simply right click that partition, choose new partition from the menu that appears and then follow the wizard?

Please shed some more light on this situation cos now this is really bugging me!! Thanks!
June 23, 2006 11:24:02 AM

After you install the windows xp, and put the sp1 you should go to control panel-->administrative tools---> computer management--->storage---> hard drive management,(i'm translating on the fly so i don't know if it's called like this.) and then there you should see the rest of your hard drive, but this only happen after you install sp1 or sp2, then you have to partion this space and format and voila your full hard drive, not the full 160gb mor like 149gb like someone said, but you'll get some extra gigs :p  hope i helped ;) 
June 23, 2006 12:35:22 PM

Yes I do see this extra space - can I format this unpartitioned space and assign it as a new hard disk drive rather than having to format the entire Hard disk as one full 160GB Hard disk??
June 23, 2006 3:59:03 PM

I stand corrected on the space issue, I agree that it should be closer to 149GB, not 127 or 137.

This all makes sense now that you mentioned you found those extra 25GB. Yes, you can create a new partition out of that unallocated space. i'm a very heavy windows user, but unfortunately, I'm computing from a Mac at the moment so I'm not able to walk you through the menu's. if you're seeing that unallocated space, you may be able to right click that space and see an option to format/create new partition/etc.

I think if you convert to dynamic disk you could add in those 25GB to your "C:" drive partition, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that's true or not. The simplest way would be to do the wizard and just create a "D:" partition out of the extra space.
June 23, 2006 4:46:46 PM

Quote:
Yes I do see this extra space - can I format this unpartitioned space and assign it as a new hard disk drive rather than having to format the entire Hard disk as one full 160GB Hard disk??

Yes you can, no problem.... that is also the easiest way to solve the problem.
June 23, 2006 6:17:45 PM

To allocate the unused space:
Settings->Control Panel->admin tools->Computer management

Go to Disk Management on the left column

Here you should see the unallocated space on drive C:.
Right click on it and you should be able to set it up as your 2nd logical drive. And you can assign it whatever letter you want! heh.

I think its like Create logical drive or something..
Here's a fun Seagate link that will help too
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp...
!