I'm such an IDIOT sometimes...

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Yeah so last night I get on the computer and start tinkering like I always do. I go into the BIOS and change some things around...restart and *click* my computer won't boot.

I believe I left the multiplier at 15x when i saved the BIOS settings by COMPLETE accident...DON'T ASK! Needless to say I'm without a computer right now.

When I turn the power on, my monitor doesn't even come off standby. Could I have potentially pooched all of my components?

Specs are as follows:
MSI KT6V Socket A
AMD 3200+ athlon xp
1Gb no-name RAM
Antec 480W PSU
BFG 6800GT OC AGP

I went ahead and bought a system that i'll be giving to my girlfriend in about a month, so I'll be using that. I'd just like to know what you guys think I fried....

Thanks..

I think I need a kick in the balls.....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Might not be fried (might be too) but if you can find the jumper on your mobo to reset the BIOS to factory defults.... or you can remove the batery for something like 24 hours (I would look it up as to how long to remove it but im sure its a long time....) or best yet look the mobo up on the MSI web site and see what they have to say about "reseting to the factory defult"

Edit: yes the post above mine CMOS settings :) look for the manuel on the web page (ECS and ASUS let you download the manuels so I would think MSI does too ?)

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
it is not fried for sure. you can set the multiplier as high as u want, sure it wont work, but u can reset the cmos and it will. the only way to fry a proccy is to overvolt it.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Relax, you're not an idiot, you're learning, that's all.
I think we all went through situations like this one, and we all learned something from them. :wink:

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Omigosh....you guys rock. And thanks for the "you're not an idot" comments. ;)

Ok, I DID reset the CMOS through the jumper while the beast was off and I also took the battery out. But what I did NOT do was leave the battery out for an extended period of time. I will try this and get back to you fine gentlemen (and ladies, I'm sure) with the results.

Thanks again!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I've been overclocking for a long time and just last night I made a dumb mistake (and confusing) when I simply was moving my case a bit and it shut down. Took me over an hour to figure out what the heck went wrong and guess what, I never figured it out! It just booted back up a few resets later. It's how you learn, messing stuff up and working your way through it.

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
OK guys....finally got things working, but now I have no idea why Battlefield 2 is so slow. I get glitchy music when i press escape out of the beginning videos to go into the account login. When I'm in game, I get these HUGE lag spikes, they do NOT feel video related. Things feel slow. This was never the case before I had reinstalled windows and just now wiped the CMOS.

There are some options in the BIOS that I don't really know if I should enable or disable...

I'm really happy I got it booted and it's ready to rock! I just need to tune it now...the manual doesn't say SH!T.

Do you guys know what I should enable/disable to get the most out of my current system and maybe some pointers in some areas?

Specs are as follows:
MSI KT6V Socket A
AMD 3200+ athlon xp
1Gb no-name RAM
Antec 480W PSU
BFG 6800GT OC AGP

Thank you so much guys!

EDIT: Just right clicked My Computer and It's telling my it's only recognizing 1 stick (512mb) of RAM. Weird...it came back now...

OK so here's another gooder...when I'm in BF2, my escape key doesn't work??? go figure....

I would recommend a BIOS upgrade and another CMOS cleanup. Then, tighten RAM timings as much as you can (Windows must be able to boot; if it doesn't, raise timings back up one step).

You may also want to check that your CPU runs at proper speed, and that RAM and FSB are synchronous (FSB: 166MHz, RAM: 166MHz; or 200/200. If your FSB is locked at 166 MHz, and your RAM is at 200, LOWER the RAM speed and lower its timings: you'll actually get a speed boost... try 2-2-2-5, 1T @166MHz).

As for graphics: enable AGP Fast writes, and set AGP speed on 4X (some socket A mobos can't do 8X correctly).

Check that DMA access, SMART is ON for hard disks, and that something called busmaster is ON. You may also want to increse the PCI bus latency (default is 32 or 64, set it at 96 or 128).

Yeah so last night I get on the computer and start tinkering like I always do. I go into the BIOS and change some things around...restart and *click* my computer won't boot.

I believe I left the multiplier at 15x when i saved the BIOS settings by COMPLETE accident...DON'T ASK! Needless to say I'm without a computer right now.

When I turn the power on, my monitor doesn't even come off standby. Could I have potentially pooched all of my components?

Specs are as follows:
MSI KT6V Socket A
AMD 3200+ athlon xp
1Gb no-name RAM
Antec 480W PSU
BFG 6800GT OC AGP

I went ahead and bought a system that i'll be giving to my girlfriend in about a month, so I'll be using that. I'd just like to know what you guys think I fried....

Thanks..

I think I need a kick in the balls.....

MSI *shudders*

dvs1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Same thing sort of happened to me. Turns out, BFG graphics cards suck for reliability...Computer wouldn't boot with a dead card...LMAO....

Try resetting the bios, and if that doesn't work, swap your video card with another PCI-E or PCI card.
:?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Pay attention, that's a socket A mb, I don't think you can even get pci-e on one of those and pci would be worse than agp 4x.

I would also check your bios settings, a cmos reset will take everything back to default and that sucks.

I'm assuming that you had BF2 running well before all of this? It's not the first time running it?

sailer

Splendid
A couple possibilities. When I cleared the BIOS on my old machine after making a timing mistake, I had slow speed. I restarted and went into the BIOS and found it had defaulted to 133 mhz. You may need to reset the speed to 200 mhz (or 166 mhz is it was one of the older cpus).

As for BF2, you may need to reload it. Something may have gotten corrupted in its programing.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I,ve use the take out battery, although I usually have not waited 25 hours. I took it out for 20 seconds and that seem to do.
That's worked for me. Or I just move the jumper over for like 20 seconds, then put it back where it belongs.

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
OK guys, thank you so much for all your help.

Fist off, I'd like to tell you a little bit about what I have set up right now and what I did know to do after my CMOS reset.

First, I went and changed all the unimprtant things like disabling the MSI graphic at the start yadda yadda yadda. I then went and changed the bus speed from 133 to 200 as I have ddr 400 ram. As for timings...??? Not too sure what to do to clean those up. The ram I have is just no name stuff but I'm pretty sure it's samsung. It's 3200. Not sure what timings are what and how to tweak these...

I'm new to this sort of stuff. I can find my way around things pretty well when it comes to building a PC from scratch but as far as optimising...I'm sort of dead in the water. I usually keep default or "Auto" settings when it comes to things I don't know anything about such as timings. The CPU I have is the fastest processor I can plug into the board.

Where's a good place to start with the frontside bus speed, clocks multiplier, and memory speed/timings (with the specs i've given)?

This stuff really interests me and I'd really like to know more! :D

Thanks guys.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I think that a good place to start is the overlocking sticky in the forum, it will tell you everything you need to know about what changes can be made.