Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D 940 - 60 deg. C??

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2006 1:24:40 AM

What's up everyone, welcome the new guy ;) 

I just built a new rig last weekend, my first time to build a rig so I'm still a bit of a n00b to the deep inner workings of this stuff. I'm running a Pentium D 3.2 GHz processor, etc. (see sig) in an Antec Solution TX1050 full tower thermally advantaged case.

Instead of the stock Intel cooler, I used this Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 after reading many rave reviews on newegg.com, which came with a thermal compound pad already applied to the base of the cooler:

Now the case came with one 120mm rear case fan, so to start out I only had the Freezer and the rear case fan. I installed this Intel Hardware Monitor utility that reported CPU temp to be 60-62 deg. C at idle 8O That seems really high to me, is it not?

So today I went out and bought a couple more 80mm case fans (blue LED of course :p  ) and put one in the front of the case blowing in, and another on the side panel near the video card, also blowing in. Right now I'm showing 56-58 C for the processor, with Firefox and AIM running, and WinAmp streaming 128 kbps audio. The two other motherboard sensors report 38 and 32 C.

This still seems pretty hot to me for the CPU. Does the Pentium D 940 just run this hot? Intel says the thermal design spec for this processor is 68.6 C. I haven't really put any stress on the processor yet, am a little afraid to at this point. I was expecting temps more like in the low 40-range.

Should I remove the cooler and clean off the thermal compound and then apply the Arctic Silver 7 I bought but haven't used yet? Or perhaps I should go back to the stock Intel cooler and then add a 92mm fan to the side of my case which has a duct directed towards the CPU?

I tried using Speedfan but got confused by all the settings it had.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : pentium 940 deg

June 23, 2006 1:41:20 AM

those temperatures can be expected from pentium4's/pentiumD's because they are simply ovens. expecially the dual cores!
try different setups with the cpu fans to see what works best for you as this is really the only way to know for sure.
BTW - you should have got an x2 :p 
June 23, 2006 1:43:57 AM

Check to see if you have too much thermal paste on your cpu fan and also what are the temps in your room

btw p: d is a oven but 60c idle is hot for even a netburst oven like that, your cooler should do alot better.
Related resources
June 23, 2006 1:52:07 AM

Too much paste? It had the little thermal pad already pre-applied before I installed it. Do you think some Artic Silver 7 would do better? If so, how do I get the original stuff off?

I also read somewhere that it takes a bit for the paste to "break in" before it reaches full efficiency?

Maybe I should just switch to the Zalman ZNPS9500... it sure is expensive though, compared to the Freezer 7.
June 23, 2006 1:55:44 AM

Silver 7 would be alot better but by the sounds of things thats not your real problem

you have anyway to measure fan speeds?
also make sure you ahve airflow in there so the air can move

Edit: you should be fine with a freeze without heavy overclocking.
the stock fan should be doing better than what your getting i think
June 23, 2006 2:09:34 AM

Quote:
Silver 7 would be alot better but by the sounds of things thats not your real problem

you have anyway to measure fan speeds?
also make sure you ahve airflow in there so the air can move

Edit: you should be fine with a freeze without heavy overclocking.
the stock fan should be doing better than what your getting i think

according to this Intel Monitor utility, the Freezer 7 CPU fan is running about 300 rpm. The PSU fans are running about 1200 rpm, and I have one Antec TriCool 80mm fan in front set to high, connected to the motherboard that is running about 2600 rpm.

I also have another 80mm TriCool fan on the side panel, connected to the PSU only, it's set on the Medium speed setting, and the 120mm TriCool rear case fan I believe is set to the High speed setting.

So you think the main problem is probably that thermal pad that came on the Freezer 7?
June 23, 2006 2:12:55 AM

well i don't know what that fan is rated for.. but 300 rpm is WAY too low thats your problem man check ur bios and see if there are some settings
June 23, 2006 2:15:18 AM

check to see if the push pins are seated correctly and nothing is holding the hsf up (like caps)
use Artic silver 5
make sure your case is cool (good flow)
the dcore 65nm is not an oven.
not even close
I dont know where some people get there info?
I idle at 44 deg at 78 to 83 deg F
@ 4178ghz
I never have seen over 62 C after hours of HL2 when ambient temps are close to 90F (AC system broken in my apt)

screen shot after benchmark

June 23, 2006 2:17:29 AM

Quote:

the dcore 65nm is not an oven.

lol for some reason i was thinking it was 90nm.. its late sry but yeah its the 300rps thats makin your temps so high the other stuff like better paste is secondary
June 23, 2006 2:19:17 AM

Quote:
those temperatures can be expected from pentium4's/pentiumD's because they are simply ovens. expecially the dual cores!
try different setups with the cpu fans to see what works best for you as this is really the only way to know for sure.
BTW - you should have got an x2 :p 

No way... Pentium D's don't run that hot
65-75ºC is normal if the processor is at heavy load
idling it should stay at 38-45ºC

Check things like: if the heatsink is well installed
themal paste
airflow

good luck
June 23, 2006 2:26:45 AM

I also have the Intel Pentium D 940, not OC'd. I also ran into the same issue with the heat, after three unsuccessful tries with HFS I switched to liquid cooling from thermaltake [big water SE], heat no longer issue. I idle around 38'C, full load 42'C. I also spoke w/ Intel about the heat issue with the Pentium D's and they said 60'C idle is normal, but you can try to change the chassis or replace some fans. I would really recommend liquid cooling! Good luck!
June 23, 2006 2:27:40 AM

Well I don't know what to do w/ the HSF, I set it on the CPU and pushed all 4 pins into place. It looks pretty seated to me, don't know what else I can do.

I also just plugged the 3-pin plug into the motherboard. I don't think there are any controls for the fan speed, unless I were to install something like Speedfan, which currently is not installed. The box states the fan's speed range is 300-2500 rpm, PWM controlled, so for some reason the motherboard is running it at barely above 300 rpm. :( 
June 23, 2006 2:28:50 AM

bios setting, what mobo are you using?

edit: 60c is normal... for a stock cooler but if you have moderate case ventalation it should be alot lower
June 23, 2006 2:31:28 AM

sorry, using an Intel BOXD945GNT motherboard. I just installed the most current BIOS revision today, and for some reason there is now no Intel splash screen upon startup (and it doesn't say to hit F2 to enter BIOS settings).

EDIT just tried disabling CPU fan control in the BIOS, and yet it's still running only 310 rpm.
June 23, 2006 2:39:30 AM

not really familar w/ that 1 but f2 should still work and there should be some fan speed setting just make sure fan speed is set to max and also turn off auto fan control... that may be your problem
June 23, 2006 2:41:27 AM

another thing you could try is putting the fan on a diff fan connector liek external fan connector and see if that helps temp. pd has a temp protection thing so theres not gonna be any harm to ur cpu
June 23, 2006 2:49:22 AM

VICTORY!!!!

Apparently my BIOS change didn't take last time. I did it again, and now my CPU fan is running full blast at 2580 rpm.

AND!!! CPU temp is all the way down to 44 C, with ambient case temps showing 40 and 34 C :D 

I wonder if the AS5 would lower it even more? Ths instructions on Artic Silver's website says:

Quote:
Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Does this mean I CAN'T use it on a heatsink that has already been installed? Or does it just mean it won't be quite as efficient as if I had pulled the thermal pad off the HSF before first installing it?
June 23, 2006 2:53:30 AM

you can use it and the remaining stuff won't matter that much.. it wills till be a diff over the crap you got. basicly they are just saying that if you put their stuff on first it will be better. also nice thats awsome that you got it working. told ya the fan speed was doing it 8)
November 10, 2009 11:49:41 AM

Well this thread is super old, but my Freezer 7 cooler fan started acting up last week. Being on a pretty tight budget I just threw the stock cooler on there for now, with some Arctic Silver 5 compound. Once again Speedfan reported 58-60 C idle temps, so hopefully that will come down a bit after it's had time to cure and the CPU has gone through several heat cycles (couple of weeks according to AS5 instructions).

Also oddly enough, my rear main case fan completely froze up in the same week.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade to a new CPU and mobo that runs cooler than this primitive Pentium D.
!