Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connecting VoIP to Home Phone Wiring

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 1:51:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

My mistake. I am in the US using a Linksys router and Vonage service.
The router is model number RT31P2-VD. The REN for this router is 5.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 1:54:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
>

First, run a single phone off the TA until it's working.

Then, to "turn off POTS" make sure your wires are ALL disconnected
and you have TAGGED the lines to make sure nobody reconnects them!

Then connect the TA to your in-house phones and add one phone at a
time to make sure they all ring as you add each one.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:32:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
> substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
> given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
> optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.
>
Or....

Get a phone system with one "base station" and x number of satellite
phones. This way you only plug the base station into the VOIP adapter
and all the other satellites only into an ac power plug., The prices
have gone way down on these systems.

As a security blanket, if you have a UPS and think that your broadband
will remain up during a power outage, you can plug a regular corded
phone into a two line splitter at the VOIP adapter as well and keep the
adapter on the UPS..
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:45:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

In message of Thu, 21 Apr 2005, BrianEWilliams writes
>I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
>service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
>it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
>router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
>this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
>

Would it be a good idea to say which country you're in, then you might
get the correct answer.

I suspect you're in Wales, but you could be in Australia for all we
know, and POTS systems in different countries vary.

DF
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:07:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:

> Trying to guess what TA stands for, but I'm coming up blank. If I
> substitute Vonage Linksys router for TA, what you write makes sense
> given what I have read on other threads. Basically, it looks like the
> optimist in me is going to be right, for once. Thanks for the help.
>

TA or ATA for Telephone Adapter or Analog TA converts POTS lines to
ethernet which then goes to cable modem.

modem<==>TA<==>router...

This allows the TA to throttle back the router info to preserve
Quality Of Service (QoS) for the phone connection.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:52:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams Wrote:
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me
> says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?

Unplug the line coming from old provider at DEMARC--run line to
telephone jack for ATA router (phone plug on adapter) all phones on
house wiring will have dial tone. Step by step instructions available
at vonage web site


--
ivscorp
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 8:13:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2


Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
into a single handset?

OR

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
well!

OR



see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
telco call???

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
home office or for the family.

Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
Protecting your equipment.

Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
local line, hands free!.

SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
to household power supplies"

Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
with Combine-A-Line.


USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

WOW FREE SHIPPING!


Add a second CLT to your auction win for only 13.99.

Reduced shipping on second unit... only $2.42 ... wow reduced shipping

Link to instructional video
http://vincent.lemoine1.free.fr/tel2box/cut%20clt%206b%...
ws%20media.wmv

Answers from previous customers:

A: this unit has many uses. it can combine two analog (regular plain Jane
telephone lines) into a common point. This allows you to create a dual line
telephone suite(telephone, answering. modem) etc for way less than the cost
of a two line phone and two line answering machines and modems don't
commonly exist. Further, VOIP has become very popular and users gain
tremendous long distance rates rates, however they don't have a "local
presence" and often back up the voip with a single plain Jane telephone
line. the clt will join voip and telco to a signal automatic port for the
ultimate convience! Plus no power supply or batteries to clutter your
desktop! Plus all port surge protected to protect you equipment! plus two
additional universal (I/O) line 1 and line 2 dedicated ports... enabling an
even wider array of connection schemes.

A: S&H outside CONUSA (48 USA states) costs more. The tariff diferene
varies based on exact location. The range is about $1.00 to Canda and
Mexico, and Hawaii. And is $3.00 to most of EU and Middle eastern locations.

A: In coming activity is automatically routed to the auto output port.

A: Out bound activity is automatic. Users can mnaully re-direct any cal and
visually confirm which line is in use by observing the LED indication.

A: The unit can be wired into a single telephone jack with the lines (four
wire connectors) OR there are two additonal , inversal jacks that enable
physical connnections to different phone access port. For example line 1 on
a VOIP modem and line2 to your local Telco jack. The CLT can join any two
lines and provide a single convient access point.

A: The CLT does not require batteries or wall power supplies.


"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114087700.544646.15310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
>
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
service.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:43:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Thanks, but unless I am missing something, it seems like it is so easy
to hook into the telephone wiring, I don't see the advantage in your
suggestion as an alternative, other than the fun of buying a new toy.

I currently have a wireless phone system with one base station and one
satellite phone, which I use for Vonage service with decent results,
but wired is always better quality than wireless, and I like the
ergonomics of my desk phone. I only wish the wireless satellite phone
had a telephone jack in the back so I could tap into the connection.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:52:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Thanks. Here is the link from the Vonage website:

http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?ca...

Sorry to have bothered people here because they make it perfectly
clear. For the record, here is what they say:

<quote>
One way to use Vonage on multiple phones is to modify the existing
telephone wiring in your home to distribute the Vonage service to all
of your phone jacks. Then you can plug a regular telephone into any
jack and make a call.

This option works best if you own your own single-family home. If you
live in an apartment or a multiple-family dwelling, chances are your
landlord and neighbors won't want you to mess with your building's
telephone lines. It also helps if you are handy around the house and
have a basic understanding of telephone wiring. It's not very difficult
to modify your home phone wiring, but because you're dealing with lines
that carry voltage, there's always a risk of causing a fire or damage
to your phone lines and equipment. If you're not comfortable doing the
work yourself, you should hire a professional electrician or telephone
technician to do the job instead.

It's important to note that by modifying your telephone wiring to
distribute Vonage throughout your home, you'll be totally disconnecting
yourself from the phone company. But the process is completely
reversible. So if you sell your house in the future, for example, you
can restore your old phone configuration with minimal difficulty.

INSTRUCTIONS

STEP ONE - ISOLATE YOUR INSIDE WIRING

To re-wire your home for Vonage, you first need to isolate your inside
phone wiring from the lines that come into your house from the phone
company. This is a step you shouldn't skip, even if you think your
phone line is already dead. If you don't isolate your inside wiring,
and the phone company decides to send voltage across the line you
thought was dead, it could damage the telephone equipment inside your
house or worse, cause a fire.

To begin, find the box on the outside of your house where the telephone
lines come into your house from the street. This is called the Network
Interface Unit (NIU). It's the legal demarcation point where the
outside wiring from the street (owned by the telephone company) meets
the wiring inside your house (owned by you). When you open the box,
which is usually locked or fastened with a screw, you will have access
to the side containing the wires going into your home, but not the side
with the lines coming from the street. You'll also see a ground wire
coming out of the phone company's side of the box. This wire protects
you against lightning strikes, so make sure you never disconnect it.

Once you've opened your side of the NIU, you'll see one or more sets of
screw terminals inside. Each will have a short piece of telephone wire
coming out of it with a phone connector on the end plugged into a
corresponding jack. If there's only one line coming into your house,
you'll most likely have only one set of screw terminals. To disconnect
from the phone company, simply unplug each of the short telephone wires
from its corresponding jack.

Next, you need to make it obvious to others that you've unplugged the
wires on purpose and they shouldn't undo your modifications without
risking damage to your inside equipment. Start by wrapping the end of
each of the telephone wires you just unplugged with electrical tape so
it can't be plugged back in without unwrapping the tape. Then, clearly
label the inside of the box with a message that says something like:
"Do not reconnect! May cause damage to inside equipment!" A sign
written or printed in waterproof ink and taped inside the box works
well. No matter how you choose to label the box, be sure it is obvious,
clear, and easy to read.

Once you've clearly labeled the inside of the NIU, close and refasten
the box. Then, just to be safe, label the outside of the box as well.
To be extra safe, you can also wrap a cord or nylon tie-wrap around the
box so it can't be opened without cutting it. Remember, to avoid
damage, you want to make it as inconvenient as possible for someone to
change what you've done without your knowledge.

STEP TWO - CONFIRM THE LINE IS DISCONNECTED

After you've isolated your wiring from the phone company's, it's
important to confirm the line is disconnected before installing Vonage.


Go back into your house and pick up a phone plugged into a jack that
previously worked. You should hear absolutely nothing; the line should
be totally dead. If the line's not dead, go back and check your work.
If your work looks correct and the line's still not dead, it means that
voltage is somehow still being carried on the line and it's not safe
for you to proceed any further. Consult a professional electrician or
telephone technician for help.

STEP THREE - CONNECT YOUR PHONE ADAPTER

If you've successfully isolated your wiring and you've confirmed the
line is dead, the hard part's over. It's time to connect to Vonage!

Simply plug your DSL/cable modem into the Vonage phone adapter. Then
plug your phone adapter into any telephone jack using a standard
telephone cord. Finally, plug regular phones into the other jacks in
your house. Telephone jacks are wired in parallel, so when you plug
your phone adapter into any working jack, it will spread the signal to
the other jacks in your home.

Like any telephone line, there is a limit to the number of phones you
can connect to a single Vonage line. If too many phones are connected,
the signal will fade, and not all of the phones will ring when a call
comes in. Therefore, we recommend you only connect five phones maximum
to a single Vonage line.

Congratulations! Your home is now wired with Vonage!
</quote>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:43:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
> suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
> months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
> $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
> service.
>

Some people have managed to have POTS on LIne1 and VoIP on Line2, so
they receive the old number and place outgoing on free VoIP.

The caution here is that theremust be NO connection in common with
old service (for the sake of argument, even 'ground' mustbe separate,
i.e. floating) = 4 completely independent wires.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:

....
>
> It's important to note that by modifying your telephone wiring to
> distribute Vonage throughout your home, you'll be totally disconnecting
> yourself from the phone company. But the process is completely
> reversible[sic]. So if you sell your house in the future, for example, you
> can restore your old phone configuration with minimal difficulty.

That's a good point about keeping the setup reversable.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:11:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:




> Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
> suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
> months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
> $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
> service.


Wow, not so quick!

Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
years until they agree about how to implement it.


--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
premises cabling users and pros
http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
Residential Cabling Guide
-------------------------------------


##-----------------------------------------------##
Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive
http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 3337 messages and counting!
##-----------------------------------------------##
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:11:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote:
> BrianEWilliams wrote:
>> Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
>> suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
>> months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
>> $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
>> service.
>
> Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
> days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
> years until they agree about how to implement it.

Vonage (which I believe Brian is using) offers 911. So do cell phones, if he
has one of those.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Miguel Cruz wrote:
> Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote:
>
>>BrianEWilliams wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
>>>suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
>>>months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
>>>$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
>>>service.
>>
>>Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
>>days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
>>years until they agree about how to implement it.
>
>
> Vonage (which I believe Brian is using) offers 911. So do cell phones, if he
> has one of those.

What they "offer" is connection to the "PSAP" which is generally the
state police WHO does NOT get E911 info! That means they must ASK you
were you are located!

POTS E911 tells the local police where you are located withour your
saying anything.

Eventually the two may get connected, but not yet!
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) wrote:
> BrianEWilliams wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>>Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
>>suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
>>months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
>>$10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
>>service.
>
>
>
> Wow, not so quick!
>
> Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
> days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
> years until they agree about how to implement it.
>
>

This is not true. I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
checked.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:07:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

burris wrote:
.... I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
> checked.

Glad to here it. Can you share HOW you checked? (In MA I'd get
in trouble if I just 'dialed it!')
April 24, 2005 9:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

"Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote
in message news:mdwae.5273315$Zm5.821537@news.easynews.com...
> BrianEWilliams wrote:
>
>
>
>
> > Thanks. BTW, I called up RCN to cancel my POTS, excited to try the
> > suggestions on this thread. They knocked $20 off my monthly bill for 6
> > months, so I kept it for now. I am paying $8/month for the line, and
> > $10.21 in taxes and fees, so they are paying me a little to keep the
> > service.
>
>
> Wow, not so quick!
>
> Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
> days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
> years until they agree about how to implement it.


don't really need 911... can always call fire or police or ambulance, just
keep the numbers handy.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Rick Merrill wrote:
> burris wrote:
> ... I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
>
>>checked.
>
>
> Glad to here it. Can you share HOW you checked? (In MA I'd get
> in trouble if I just 'dialed it!')

I too, had trepidations about trying it.

I first called my local non-emergency Police number. They told me that
in this area, all the 911 calls were handled by Metro-Dade County and I
shouldn't be afraid to call.

I did so and the nice person who answered read back all my details and
thanked me for calling to check....YMMV

Location is in Aventura Fl...a city within greater Miami-Dade county.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:13:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Rick,

You read my mind because that was going to be my next question. I've
been rummaging around to find my two line splitter to give it a try.
The second line has never been active, but I am not sure how to check
to see if they share a ground. Assuming the wiring is kosher, I guess
I just plug my 2-line splitter into a jack, and plug the TA into the
second line outlet. Is the worst case I fry my TA if the wiring isn't
right?

Brian
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:18:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Here is what Vonage says about their 911 service:

http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?ar...

<quote>
Vonage routes your call to the Public Service Answering Point (PSAP),
which provides emergency services in your area. The appropriate PSAP is
determined by the physical address you supplied when you configured 911
on your web account. Therefore, if we do not have the correct address,
your call cannot be routed to the corresponding PSAP for your area.
Another difference between Vonage 911 Dialing service and traditional
911 service is that the Vonage call will be routed to the PSAP's
general access line, which is different from the 911 Emergency Response
Center. You will need to state the nature of your emergency promptly
and clearly, including your location and telephone number, as PSAP
personnel will not have this information at hand. PSAP personnel can
help you effectively and will take necessary steps to provide you with
the appropriate assistance, such as dispatching police, an ambulance
and/or a fire truck.

Behind the scenes, the call will go to your local Public Service
Answering Point immediately, if you have provided your address by
configuring 911 on your web account. If you have not configured 911 on
your web account, you won't be able to dial 911 at all.

*Note - Customers in Rhode Island who activate dialing 911 will receive
an emergency calling service similar to E-911, which utilizes the E-911
call routing system and automatically displays your address and the
number you're calling from on the dispatchers terminal. This E-911
solution is only available to customers in Rhode Island who have
activated dialing 911. Vonage is working aggressively to provide this
solution in additional states before the end of 2005.
</quote>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:51:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

My guess here is that Vonage is required -by state law- to provide "E" 911
service in Rhode Island, otherwise you can bet your last dollar they
wouldn't be doing it, because it's quite expensive to provide it.

I don't know what other states require it, not all do (yet), but perhaps
Vonage service is not yet available in those "Mandatory E-911" states or
else Vonage has been given a grace period.

In article <1114384688.616966.107950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> writes:

>Here is what Vonage says about their 911 service:
>
>http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?ar...
>
><quote>
>Vonage routes your call to the Public Service Answering Point (PSAP),
>which provides emergency services in your area. The appropriate PSAP is
>determined by the physical address you supplied when you configured 911
>on your web account. Therefore, if we do not have the correct address,
>your call cannot be routed to the corresponding PSAP for your area.
>Another difference between Vonage 911 Dialing service and traditional
>911 service is that the Vonage call will be routed to the PSAP's
>general access line, which is different from the 911 Emergency Response
>Center. You will need to state the nature of your emergency promptly
>and clearly, including your location and telephone number, as PSAP
>personnel will not have this information at hand. PSAP personnel can
>help you effectively and will take necessary steps to provide you with
>the appropriate assistance, such as dispatching police, an ambulance
>and/or a fire truck.
>
>Behind the scenes, the call will go to your local Public Service
>Answering Point immediately, if you have provided your address by
>configuring 911 on your web account. If you have not configured 911 on
>your web account, you won't be able to dial 911 at all.
>
>*Note - Customers in Rhode Island who activate dialing 911 will receive
>an emergency calling service similar to E-911, which utilizes the E-911
>call routing system and automatically displays your address and the
>number you're calling from on the dispatchers terminal. This E-911
>solution is only available to customers in Rhode Island who have
>activated dialing 911. Vonage is working aggressively to provide this
>solution in additional states before the end of 2005.
></quote>
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:37:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> Rick,
>
> You read my mind because that was going to be my next question. I've
> been rummaging around to find my two line splitter to give it a try.
> The second line has never been active, but I am not sure how to check
> to see if they share a ground. Assuming the wiring is kosher, I guess
> I just plug my 2-line splitter into a jack, and plug the TA into the
> second line outlet. Is the worst case I fry my TA if the wiring isn't
> right?
>
> Brian
>

Measure resistance on all combinations of wires and use separate phones...
Worse case is you fry everything and the dog goes on the carpet!-)
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:39:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Mitel Lurker wrote:

> My guess here is that Vonage is required -by state law- to provide "E" 911
> service in Rhode Island, otherwise you can bet your last dollar they
> wouldn't be doing it, because it's quite expensive to provide it.

Once they have mastered the technology, WHY is it "quite expensive"
please?


> I don't know what other states require it, not all do (yet), but perhaps
> Vonage service is not yet available in those "Mandatory E-911" states or
> else Vonage has been given a grace period.
>
> In article <1114384688.616966.107950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
> "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> writes:
....
>>*Note - Customers in Rhode Island who activate dialing 911 will receive
>>an emergency calling service similar to E-911, which utilizes the E-911
>>call routing system and automatically displays your address and the
>>number you're calling from on the dispatchers terminal. This E-911
>>solution is only available to customers in Rhode Island who have
>>activated dialing 911. Vonage is working aggressively to provide this
>>solution in additional states before the end of 2005.
>></quote>
>
>
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:53:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

"Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote
in message
> Never ever cancel the POTS line: you may need to call 911 one of those
> days. It is not going to work over VoIP. At least not for couple more
> years until they agree about how to implement it.

Oh please, get a grip. Any decent VoIP provider offers 911 service. But
honestly, what on earth did people DO before 911 with location info? Oh, I
know, they TOLD the people where they are! Imagine that! Sure, a 4 year
old calling in because Mommy took too many little helpers might be a
problem. Or a geezer dropping over from a heart attack but only able to
just... barely... call.. 911 might qualify. But please, life's full of edge
cases and yet reality soldiers on regardless.

If you're the panicking fool sort then by all means keep your land line.
Otherwise, make the switch and enjoy it's benefits.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

In article <wNednWYJ-ttjb_HfRVn-ow@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
<rick0.merrill@gmailNO.SPAMcom> writes:


>Once they have mastered the technology, WHY is it "quite expensive"
>please?

Not so expensive on an individual subscriber basis, but taken as a whole
it adds up quickly. There is a per-line charge plus a charge for database
updates, which you must provide on a timely basis when any of your
subscribers move, or new subscribers sign up or existing subs leave.

There is also the administrative nightmare of keeping your own database
accurate so that when you send updates to Intrado your customer has some
reasonable expectation of accuracy.

That 40ยข or so "911 service charge" that your traditional landline telco
tacks onto your monthly bill doesn't begin to cover their total expenses.
That's just the portion they're allowed to pass on.

Common myth is that all it takes to be in the telephone business is a
switch. The rude awakening comes later.

Remember not so terribly long ago when you occasionally heard about large
apartment complexes installing their own PBXs and getting into the phone
business? Not many of them still around, is there? It was a flash in the
pan. 911 legislation woke these guys up and the smart ones bailed.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:56:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Rick Merrill wrote:
> burris wrote:
> ... I have SunRocket and my 911 works perfectly...yes, I
> > checked.
>
> Glad to here it. Can you share HOW you checked? (In MA I'd get
> in trouble if I just 'dialed it!')

I too have SunRocket. My system works well on all fronts, having been
checked. In addition, the technology is still advancing, so I can only
imagine it will get better as time passes.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:52:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

these move fasts..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
e=STRK:MESE:IT


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
e=STRK:MESE:IT

"David Floyd" <david@floyd.org.uk> wrote in message
news:k8PfcwMC66ZCFwd6@127.0.0.1...
> In message of Thu, 21 Apr 2005, BrianEWilliams writes
> >I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> >service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> >it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> >router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> >this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
> >
>
> Would it be a good idea to say which country you're in, then you might
> get the correct answer.
>
> I suspect you're in Wales, but you could be in Australia for all we
> know, and POTS systems in different countries vary.
>
> DF
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:37:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5786...
"Marc H.Popek" <LVMarc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:EAsbe.130479$cg1.49080@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> these move fasts..
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
> e=STRK:MESE:IT
>
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
> e=STRK:MESE:IT
>
> "David Floyd" <david@floyd.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:k8PfcwMC66ZCFwd6@127.0.0.1...
> > In message of Thu, 21 Apr 2005, BrianEWilliams writes
> > >I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> > >service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> > >it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> > >router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> > >this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
> > >
> >
> > Would it be a good idea to say which country you're in, then you might
> > get the correct answer.
> >
> > I suspect you're in Wales, but you could be in Australia for all we
> > know, and POTS systems in different countries vary.
> >
> > DF
>
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:37:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5786...
"Marc H.Popek" <LVMarc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:LR_9e.623281$w62.577724@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2
>
>
> Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
> machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?
>
> OR
>
> How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
> into a single handset?
>
> OR
>
> USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
> well!
>
> OR
>
>
>
> see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in
a
> telco call???
>
> THEN...........................................
>
> Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines
to
> be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing
and
> PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
> home office or for the family.
>
> Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
> Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
> Protecting your equipment.
>
> Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc)
plain
> local line, hands free!.
>
> SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
> picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
> just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a
call.
> The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.
>
> Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
> re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
> power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
> to household power supplies"
>
> Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
> with Combine-A-Line.
>
>
> USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION
>
> WOW FREE SHIPPING!
>
>
> Add a second CLT to your auction win for only 13.99.
>
> Reduced shipping on second unit... only $2.42 ... wow reduced shipping
>
> Link to instructional video
>
http://vincent.lemoine1.free.fr/tel2box/cut%20clt%206b%...
> ws%20media.wmv
>
> Answers from previous customers:
>
> A: this unit has many uses. it can combine two analog (regular plain
Jane
> telephone lines) into a common point. This allows you to create a dual
line
> telephone suite(telephone, answering. modem) etc for way less than the
cost
> of a two line phone and two line answering machines and modems don't
> commonly exist. Further, VOIP has become very popular and users gain
> tremendous long distance rates rates, however they don't have a "local
> presence" and often back up the voip with a single plain Jane telephone
> line. the clt will join voip and telco to a signal automatic port for the
> ultimate convience! Plus no power supply or batteries to clutter your
> desktop! Plus all port surge protected to protect you equipment! plus two
> additional universal (I/O) line 1 and line 2 dedicated ports... enabling
an
> even wider array of connection schemes.
>
> A: S&H outside CONUSA (48 USA states) costs more. The tariff diferene
> varies based on exact location. The range is about $1.00 to Canda and
> Mexico, and Hawaii. And is $3.00 to most of EU and Middle eastern
locations.
>
> A: In coming activity is automatically routed to the auto output port.
>
> A: Out bound activity is automatic. Users can mnaully re-direct any cal
and
> visually confirm which line is in use by observing the LED indication.
>
> A: The unit can be wired into a single telephone jack with the lines (four
> wire connectors) OR there are two additonal , inversal jacks that enable
> physical connnections to different phone access port. For example line 1
on
> a VOIP modem and line2 to your local Telco jack. The CLT can join any two
> lines and provide a single convient access point.
>
> A: The CLT does not require batteries or wall power supplies.
>
>
> "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1114087700.544646.15310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > I have POTS wired through the house. Is it simple to get my VoIP
> > service to use this wiring? The optimist in me says all I have to do
> > it turn off POTS, run a wire from the telephone jack on the VoIP
> > router, and plug it into a telephone wall jack. The realist in me says
> > this would be way too simple. Any thoughts?
> >
>
>
!