to wire or not to wire

sting

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
I finally got around to getting myself a broadband connection.
My dsl modem and splitter should arrive anytime now.
In the meantime i'm trying to solve the following problem:
My pc is about 20 meters from the telephone plug / splitter.
I'd like to have the dsl modem next to my pc.
I've considered using WLAN to connect modem to splitter but i'd prefer to use network cable.
Of course i can't just string it directly to the splitter because that would be straight
through our living room.
So i need some kind of flexible, thin CAT5 cable which i can nicely hide under carpet or
behind furniture.
Does such cable exist or would the lack of shielding degrade the signal to much ?
Or should i just give in and use wireless ?
And while we're at it, is it at all possible to replace the cable beetween a dsl modem
and the splitter with a WLAN connection ?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd recommend wiring it in - you can get 2 pair CAT5 cable, which is thinner than the standard 4 pair, and should be able to run under carpet no problem. For a home environment, interference shouldn't be a problem - especially in such a short run.

Even if you did use a non-standard cable, or had interference, most likeley it would back down to 10Mbs - which is still faster than your DSL link so no problem there. :)

Another option would be to use flat telephone cable and extend the phone line to your computer, then you can have the DSL modem at the computer desk.

You may need another line filter for the phone, but aside from that it would be the simplest option.

Regards,
Greg

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you can run cat5 with out the sheath, if it doesnt have the metal shielding it doesnt do anything. you can cut the two pairs that arent needed, this makes the wires very small, they will go under a carpet very nicely. ive done this before. just pulled up the carpet a little bit along a wall and stuck the wires under it. if you dont untwist them it will be just fine.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

sting

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
I can't seem to find any 2pair CAT5 cable for sale.
Am i missing something or will i need to roll my own ?
Running the phone line to my computer isn't really an option
because i can't move the phone to my room.
I'm not the only one using it.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
there is no 2 pair cat5, you need to cut the sheath off and cut out the two pairs that arent used. blue and brown i believe

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

sting

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Ok i'll try that.
thanks everybody

If if doesn't work i'll probably be back with
questions about WLAN ;)

sting

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
OK this is working.
I just finished removing shielding and all the other stuff,
leaving just the orange and green pairs.
Now the cable is sitting nicely on my desk wrapped around
a <A HREF="http://www.wieshof-neumeier.de/images/Butter Kind mit Milchkanne.jpg" target="_new"> milk can</A> (ok so i didn't find anything else) and is
probably generating a nice magnet field.
The DSL modem is connected to my computer with 100 MBit/s.
All is good.
Now all i need is for my telco to finish installing DSL on their side of the line.

thanks everybody