Question about the iPAQ HP 4150/4155...

November 24, 2004 12:02:32 PM

I'm about to buy a HP 4155 and I'm a little worry about the IR
port....

I can deal with the fact that it's located in the lower side of the
PDA, but what I want to know....

- Does it work (good) as a Remote Control>

- Can I use it as a RC from what distance?

Thanks...
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:10:10 PM

The range is ok for a remote.

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

I have an HP 4155 and have been experimenting with the various remote
control programs. None of the ones I've found will fully rotate the screen.
Some go 90 degrees, but we need 180 degrees. Anyway, that's just a minor
annoyance compared to the fact that I have to be within a few feet from the
TV to control it. I'm very disappointed in the infrared range and can't see
how I can use this as a remote.

I know that there are some settings and quality of the ir code record that
can effect this. Has anyone had better luck than me? Are there any tips on
how to improve range?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

"MasterChief" <master_chief@deltahalo.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to buy a HP 4155 and I'm a little worry about the IR
> port....
>
> I can deal with the fact that it's located in the lower side of the
> PDA, but what I want to know....
>
> - Does it work (good) as a Remote Control>
>
> - Can I use it as a RC from what distance?
>
> Thanks...

November 29, 2004 1:23:39 AM

I have an HP 4155 and have been experimenting with the various remote
control programs. None of the ones I've found will fully rotate the screen.
Some go 90 degrees, but we need 180 degrees. Anyway, that's just a minor
annoyance compared to the fact that I have to be within a few feet from the
TV to control it. I'm very disappointed in the infrared range and can't see
how I can use this as a remote.

I know that there are some settings and quality of the ir code record that
can effect this. Has anyone had better luck than me? Are there any tips on
how to improve range?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com

"MasterChief" <master_chief@deltahalo.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to buy a HP 4155 and I'm a little worry about the IR
> port....
>
> I can deal with the fact that it's located in the lower side of the
> PDA, but what I want to know....
>
> - Does it work (good) as a Remote Control>
>
> - Can I use it as a RC from what distance?
>
> Thanks...

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:52:53 PM

Tim Nicholson wrote:
> I have an HP 4155 and have been experimenting with the various remote
> control programs. None of the ones I've found will fully rotate the screen.

Vito Remote will rotate all its buttons 180 degrees.

> Some go 90 degrees, but we need 180 degrees. Anyway, that's just a minor
> annoyance compared to the fact that I have to be within a few feet from the
> TV to control it. I'm very disappointed in the infrared range and can't see
> how I can use this as a remote.

I gave up quickly.

> I know that there are some settings

I don't believe there are any, apart from on/off.

and quality of the ir code record that
> can effect this.

The range? No, not really.

Has anyone had better luck than me? Are there any tips on
> how to improve range?

Tape the iPAQ to a long pole? Use a repeater? No, the hardware is the
limiting factor. It is not providng enough current to the IR emitter to
give you the range. It would require a hardware hack to improve this.

Nikki
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:52:54 PM

Keep in mind that the IR port was designed for transferring data between
devices. It was not designed for use as a remote control.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...

"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> Tim Nicholson wrote:
> > I have an HP 4155 and have been experimenting with the various remote
> > control programs. None of the ones I've found will fully rotate the
screen.

> Vito Remote will rotate all its buttons 180 degrees.
>
> > Some go 90 degrees, but we need 180 degrees. Anyway, that's just a minor
> > annoyance compared to the fact that I have to be within a few feet from
the
> > TV to control it. I'm very disappointed in the infrared range and can't
see
> > how I can use this as a remote.
>
> I gave up quickly.
>

> > I know that there are some settings
>
> I don't believe there are any, apart from on/off.
>
> and quality of the ir code record that
> > can effect this.
>
> The range? No, not really.
>
> Has anyone had better luck than me? Are there any tips on
> > how to improve range?
>
> Tape the iPAQ to a long pole? Use a repeater? No, the hardware is the
> limiting factor. It is not providng enough current to the IR emitter to
> give you the range. It would require a hardware hack to improve this.
>

> Nikki

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:35:50 AM

Yeah. Different manufacturers and different devices seem to vary widely.
Many Sony CLIE's were designed specifically for longer-range IR (and
included a tv remote program) but many others weren't. Most Palm/palmOne
models are suitable for normal living room use as a remote.

It seems the PocketPC world is the same way. Some have decent range and some
don't.

I'd even consider getting the Griffin IR extender, which connects to the
PPC's headphone jack, but for some reason the HP 4155 is not supported.
Other HP models are supported, though.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/griffinmobile/totalrem...

It would be nice if device manufacturers were consistent with the IR output.
It would be best if they just had a setting for High or Low output power
depending on what your needs are.

--

"Bruce Eitman (eMVP)" <beitmannospam@NOSPAM_applieddata.NOSPAM_net> wrote in
message news:efWzTIi1EHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...