savior345

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
So i just installed Windows xp on my new computer for the first time. It said where i would like to partition. I decided to do it not the quick way and I ended having a C drive that holds 150gb instead of the 250gb it should have. I can't find it any where. Please help.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
A Program like Partition Magic (from Symantec) is excellent at dealing with partitions and unpartitioned space. Even if you have programs installed in a particular partition it can resize it.

mjdranzer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
just rightclick on my computer and click on manage. then from the side menu click on disk managment and you are suposed to see your unpartitianed space. right click on it and click on format. <<<<<seclect the right partition!!!!

just rightclick on my computer and click on manage. then from the side menu click on disk managment and you are suposed to see your unpartitianed space. right click on it and click on format. <<<<<seclect the right partition!!!!

If he wants one large partition though, Partiton Magic can merge the 2 partitions. The Disk Management program in Windows can't.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Jesus one would think you're being raped by a polar bear and your last dying act is to post on here.

What these guys said but also make sure you formatted the drive properly. A full format instead a quick wouldn't cause your drive to be smaller than it should be. You choose the partition size during the Windows install.

Partition Magic isn't always an option guys because its not like its free.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
No, but it's the only Norton program I would buy...and that's saying a lot. Norton made me reformat my computer, after it corrupted my Microsoft Office installation right before I had a huge paper to finish and print off just a few minutes before it was due.

So yeah, I hate Symmantec.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
If you just installed Windows and formatted your drive I would assume that you don't have any significant data on the drive you're concerned with.

Personally, I would say the easiest way to fix this is just re-install windows and re-format the drive to the size you want. 20 Minutes of work, and you do not have to buy any new software.

When you format just make sure you delete the existing partitions. Create the new partition and make sure you have selected the full capacity of the drive, less 8MB. IE: 250,000MB -8MB = 249,092MB assuming that your drive holds 250,000MB which it won't.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Actually, Symantec bought out Powerquest (who developed Partition Magic) so, if anyone has any misgivings about it being a Symantec product it might settle things. Personally, I've used their antivirus, firewall and system tools for about 4 years and they've worked for me fine - haven't ever had any kind of issue with anything they made.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Personally, I would say the easiest way to fix this is just re-install windows and re-format the drive to the size you want. 20 Minutes of work, and you do not have to buy any new software.

I agree, I would start over and delete the partitions. However 20 minutes?? haha. Unless you have a old copy of Windows XP pro like myself and you have to install service pack 1 and 2 and all the updates. That 20 minutes is a bout 4 hours. :?

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

I agree, I would start over and delete the partitions. However 20 minutes?? haha. Unless you have a old copy of Windows XP pro like myself and you have to install service pack 1 and 2 and all the updates. That 20 minutes is a bout 4 hours. :?

lol okay the 20 minutes is way off. I keep forgetting not everyone has an XP disc with SP2 and I forgot to account for the windows updates.