Hard drive file/directory corruption and losing directories

djotto

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Hi,

I am having a problem with a PC losing files and directories. The system has 3 letter drives:
C: Maxtor 20 Gig , System files
D: Maxtor 250 Gig, Back up Music and Storage files
F: Raid Array JBOD (Via VT5410 chipset) 2 Maxtor 120 Gig, Music files Only

System:
XP Pro service pack 2
Asus P4P800E Deluxe
1.25 Gig Ram
Tdk cd Recorder
Raidmx case with 350 Watt power supply

The errors (at least the ones I have found) are on the D and F drives. The system was on during a power failure and I noticed a major directory was wiped of all the subdirectories and now it will not save to that directory and dose not show any errors.

Since this is my music backup and where I store music for my DJ service, I have only noticed MP3 files and directories missing

What component could be at fault or could it be spyware or Digital Copyright Protection Software?

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
dude your hard disk is suffering from bad sectors problem ,it may be that the power cut caused the problem .If you find anyhing else do tell me
bye :lol:

djotto

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
It's happening on two drives. The first time I noticed the problem it was on the same system, but the raid was set to mirror. So I doubt if three drives have bad sectors.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
dude your hard disk is suffering from bad sectors problem ,it may be that the power cut caused the problem .If you find anyhing else do tell me
bye :lol:
I would have said the power failure issue also, as any RAID array can be affected by a power interruption. As far as the D drive though...hard to say. I doubt that it's spyware, or copy protection. Maybe the
errors on the D drive where already there, and you just hadn't noticed them until after the power outage. GL :)

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Have you considered the raid controller? Low end radi controllers when set to mirror do not always rebuild properly on failure. It should detect the broken array and compair file signatures. However it seems that it started to build the mirror off the wrong drive.

It is possible that your are now mirroring corrupt data now because of this. If my line of thinking makes sense then I think your controller could be ok, but would reccomend using a veritas demo and backing it up someplace, then rebuilding your raid and resetting your drive configs. You could also PtoV your current system and rebuild as well.

Down the line look for a really cheap APC device.