Pentium D 805 Overclocking - What Mobo?

bumcheekcity

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
THG recommend a few mobos with their guide, and the only one I've been able to find on my local suppliers website is the Asus P5WD2-E Premium, which is about £130-150. What are the exact characteristics I'm looking for on the motherboartd that I buy, other, of course, that it supports the Pentium D processor in the first place?

I figure it also needs at least a 200Mhz FSB, and is this the only other stipulation? How can I go about choosing a dirt cheap mobo to overclock the Pentium D 805? I'm not interetsted in getting it right up to 4.0Ghz, or even 3.8, but getting it up to 3.4 or perhaps even 3.6 would be very nice.

For instance, the Asus P5VD1-X is a nice motherboard, and supports AGP and PCI-E, and it's only £35 for me. I'd love to be able to use that mobo with my machine, purely for the dual GFX support, and partly for the cheapness. Would it be possible, and what research into the Chipset/BIOS of the particular mobo do I need to do? That particular model boasts two SATA drives (which is one more than I'm ever going to use), four slots for memory (quad-channel DDR 4tw), 3 PCI slots, and it supports the dual core motherboard with 1066Mhz FSB. Is it recommended?

Plus, other than the Zalman 9500 that is recommended on the THG article, are there any other good coolers anyone can recommend, or has had success with? I'm just a little worried that the 9500 is the size of a truck, that's all :D

Thanks for any and all of your help. I've never overclocked anything before, and quite fancied starting by bumping this processor up to 3.4Ghz.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
WELCOME TO TGFORUMZ!

On a motherboard, you want plenty of inputs, types of cooling, CPU support, overclocking options, reputation, but not in that order, exactly.

I've always thought there are only two things to remember when you are building a PC: Make sure the parts are compatabile, and make sure you know where things plug in. Is the motherboard compatabile with your other parts? Enough IDE plugs? Memory right type/speed? Expandability?

Well, at 200FSB that is stock...Most good motherboards will max the FSB at 300, better ones go higher, all the way up to 450. On an Intel, you want as high as you can go. I'm not that good on Intels, but the first motherboard supports 1066/800FSB, while the 805 is at 533FSB... Can that work?

Right now, chipsets have four major "choices": nVidia, ATI, Intel, VIA. I like them in that order, from best to 'maybe-I-could-buy'. BIOS is not too important, because any good motherboard MUST be with a good BIOS for it to become a good motherboard. An amazing motherboard with a crappy BIOS is worthless...Some manufacturers have their own, for better OC'ing, while others use other ones like Phoenix.

I personally like the Arctic Cooling series, preferably the vertical cooling ones...

~Ibrahim~

slipaway172

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
i have the asus p5rd1-vm that only supports ddr 400. i know ddr not ddr2. But Now im in a room that is 80 degrees F. i also have stock cooling with 2 120mm fans on the case. Overclocked to 3ghz per core for a total of 6ghz, this thing screams. Currently my computer is running prime95, trillian, firefox, winamp, cpu-z, windows update, avg virus scan, AND NO LAG!!! here is the mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131565