• DDR2
  • RAM
  • Gigabyte
  • Corsair
  • SLI
Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2006 4:23:51 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4/AM2 NF 570 SLI together with a pair of Corsair DDR2 667 ram.

After assembled the PC, I tried to install WinXP, it didn't get to the format hard disk screen at 667 MHz. I called a PC engineer and he adviced me to slow down the memory to 533 MHZ. I tried and managed to install the OS.

After the inital set up, I then went to download all hotfixes from MS. An error screen pop up during downloading one of them and after reboot, the PC just frozen at the StartUp screen.

I am not sure what to do now. Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

btw, I heard that AM2 MB has some ram compatibilty issue, it that right?

More about : gigabyte m57sli am2 570 sli corsair ddr2 ram

June 23, 2006 5:21:01 PM

Just checked the Gigabyte site and it says your board supports DDR2 800 memory. If anything, the DDR2 667 you're running memory is slower than specified. Can't imagine why anyone would tell you too slow your memory even farther down to DDR2 533 speed.

You may have a motherboard problem and need to RMA it. You didn't specify whther you called Gigabyte for the tech problem or you called a separate PC engineer. Gigabyte would be the one you should be calling at this point. Also, you didn't specify whether you're installing the old XP, or XP with service pack 2. I've heard that some of the newer boards have trouble with the original XP. That's rumor only, but its a consideration. Overall, it sounds like a bad motherboard to me.
June 23, 2006 6:00:55 PM

Check to see if there is a BIOS update available. If there is, make sure you don't do the update through Windows - it can cause a lot of problems that way. Do it through a floppy or bootable USB drive, much safer that way.
!