Sign in with
Your question

Lack of new model HDD reviews on Tom's?

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2006 4:48:29 PM

I have not seen any reviews on the latest lines of hard drive at Tom's Hardware. Yes there is reviews on the biggest but what about new models and such.

Am I to assume that the new drives are just same package with new wrapping or are the new models any better?

The 22 HDD roundup Tom's did was perfect but new drives are out and it’s old news. From what I have been hearing buying the cheapest seems the way to go. And personal reviews are widely varying on manufactures.

Is there any difference in OEM enterprise drive vs desktop series? For example;

Seagates NL35 vs Barracuda 7200.9/10
Maxtor MaXLine III vs DiamondMax 10
June 23, 2006 6:07:41 PM

I'm not sure what it is you looking for? Tom's reviews are based on drive technology like NCQ as well as interface based performance benching that is availible to the public. If you looking for solid state drive reviews that my take a while. The information applies to any drive no matter the manufacturer.
You need only to look at the at glace specs to see the diffrences in those drives since you are comparing the same manufatures.
June 24, 2006 8:50:49 AM

Quote:
I have not seen any reviews on the latest lines of hard drive at Tom's Hardware. Yes there is reviews on the biggest but what about new models and such.

Am I to assume that the new drives are just same package with new wrapping or are the new models any better?

The 22 HDD roundup Tom's did was perfect but new drives are out and it’s old news. From what I have been hearing buying the cheapest seems the way to go. And personal reviews are widely varying on manufactures.

Is there any difference in OEM enterprise drive vs desktop series? For example;

Seagates NL35 vs Barracuda 7200.9/10
Maxtor MaXLine III vs DiamondMax 10
I'm finding this with a lot of sites. I go to storagereview.com every day hoping for some new reviews, but they haven't done one in a couple of months. The one exception to this rule seems to be the 750GB Seagate drive, as it is in a league of it's own. In reality, hard drives aren't really offering improvements in the performance area, so there hasn't been much interest since the release of the 150GB Raptor(highly anticipated).
Related resources
June 26, 2006 3:43:43 PM

I no expert in the storage field and that is why I turn to site like Toms. I am wondering if there is a difference from Seagates 7200.8 to 7200.10 drives. OEM vs. desktop drives. 16MB cache compared to 8 MB.

I am planning on buying two drives for RAID. Seeing how close the prices are makes me wonder what I am buying.

I guess in the end I can just buy something and find out for myself.
June 26, 2006 5:55:35 PM

I would positon yourself into getting sata drive with Ncq. Make sure you raid controler supports this. 16mb cache is great when using file transfer or cad work. But for Raid1 storage its not the noticeible.

OEM is fine, and stick to 7200.8's I not sure if there is a diffrence but reviews I've seen that are positve come for the .8 line. b
!