now? or wait? (conroe vs. amd)

m0ssy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
OK.. so the main reason why i'm on this forum is because.. well.. i'm not really smart when it comes to computers.. so in easy terms.. can someone tell me what I should do..

I wanna buy a computer.. the conroe isn't out yet.. i was going very high-end.. like a fx-60 or 62.. the problem is.. i don't really know what I should do.. when is the conroe most likely to come out? and will it save me money? and in easy terms.. will the conroe have better performance?
Money isn't really an issue... but when i hear i can spend half the price and get more speed just by overclocking.. i should be smart about it. Any suggestions ? :(

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i say wait until tom or someother page gets theyre hands on a conroe and puts it against amd, and if it good n all go for it, but then u better consider the power : price ratio, n so if conroe is like bloody (always wanted to say that) expensive just go amd, but if its cheap n good, go n get it.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
To wait is always the best thing to do, cause technology gets better and prices on last gen stuff gets cheaper, however the real question is how long to wait. I couldnt wait any longer so I upgraded and Im happy I did. When I upgrade again I will buy whatever performs best for the money I have and the components I already own. :lol:

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
If I were you I'd probably stick with the Conroe since it has a lower thermal envelope and eats up less power all while giving incredible performance. That and when the quad-cores come out you'll be able to upgrade to those if you want. Other than that, the performance/price ratio is more in favor of a conroe.

m0ssy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
true.. well price doesn't really matter.. i got 10,000$ to spend on cpu sh1t.. i want 1 gaming computer, then 2 other computers.. ( for my musik network and stuff )

Leto_Atreides

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
true.. well price doesn't really matter.. i got 10,000$ to spend on cpu sh1t.. i want 1 gaming computer, then 2 other computers.. ( for my musik network and stuff )

Would you be willing to donate some money to me? I'm stuck with a P4 3.2 Prescott, i'd love a double core cpu.

m0ssy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
hey, thats 3x beter then my computer right now.. actually.. i dont really have a computer right now.. the one i used to have so... all it takes is a bit of dedication.. set some goals.. and get what u want..