Computer Won't Shut Down but Reboots Instead!

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hello Everyone:

I have an interesting problem. Whenever I shut my computer down (not restart, actual shut down), Windows goes through shutting down and just when you think everything is going to do down, it reboots itself. If I push the power button and wait for the computer to shut down, it will reboot. The only way for me to shut it down is to flip the switch on the back of the PSU. I've checked the power connectors, they're snug and tight. I have the following setup:

CPU - XP 3200+ Barton
MOBO - Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0
RAM - 1GB XMS PC3200C2
VIDEO - ATI 9700 Pro AIW
HD - 2 x 80GB Hitachi SATA2 in RAID 0
HD - 1 x 80GB WD EIDE
DVD - 16x Sony
DVDRAM - 16x Lite-ON
CASE - Antec P160 w/ Window
PSU - Antec 550 Watt True Power

Please help! This is getting really annoying and it's been like this for months now. Should I reinstall windows? swap out RAM? I honestly can't remember what I was doing when this happend.... meaning, I don't recall if I was fixing things or what. I'm a very careful builder and can't think of anything else to try.....

Thank you all in advance.

TTFN

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I have run into the same problem. I ended up reinstalling XP before bothering to find the cause and found out that reinstalling the OS fixes the problem.

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if that'll fix it. I'll do that tonight and let you know.

Thank you!

TTFN

Brizay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Chances are you need to go to your Bios, and disable the "Wake on" options - i.e. wake on Lan, wake on Keyboard etc.

You might also want to check your networking controller properties to disable "Wake-on-Lan" from there as well.

gl

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Did it ever do this before? If not what has changed on your system to cause it to fault this way? For some reason you system my be exec. as minidump on after stoping services. Can you shut down in Safemode normally?

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I've not tried safemode. I'll try that tonight as well. The system has been the same EXEPT one little thing....I OC'd just a little from 2.2ghz to 2.3. I raised the FSB. I can see how I'm going to be chewed out for not looking at that specific problem. Here's the catch, after the problem started, I droped the CPU back to default, reset BIOS to default and it still did it. I"m not sure if the OC caused permanent damage....I hope not considering it was such a minor OC and I have sufficient cooling...Antec 160 case w/ 120mm intake and exhaust plus a 90mm fan on HS w/ a swiftech heatsink plus I drilled a 120mm hole on the case side for another fan intake. PLUS my comp is in the basement, it's freezing cold down there. Idle temp, no joke, around 28c. Under stress, 34-36 TOPS.

But I know that's something I have to look at. I will try the BIOS and disabling the wake-on features and also the safe mode.

TTFN

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Chances are you need to go to your Bios, and disable the "Wake on" options - i.e. wake on Lan, wake on Keyboard etc.

You might also want to check your networking controller properties to disable "Wake-on-Lan" from there as well.

gl

That is what I've found it to be on some systems I've seen it on. Do a google search for 'system won't shut down' or something similar and you'll find a bunch of stuff on it. On one machine I had it on, I had to do something else, which I forget, but I found the fix using google.

ADDED: I was poking around out of curiosity and when reading This page I remembered that on one machine I had to do a registry tweak. I forget what it was, but as I said, I found it with a google search similar to This one.