Rule for this NG?

Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and someone
responds that you at least acknowledge their response? I have replied to a
few people recently and it's as if I have sent the reply into a black hole!
It doesn't encourage a response from me!

Iain
22 answers Last reply
More about rule

    Iain Smith wrote:
    > Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and
    > someone responds that you at least acknowledge their response? I have
    > replied to a few people recently and it's as if I have sent the reply
    > into a black hole! It doesn't encourage a response from me!

    I think you can forget that!! I can't believe the number of
    unresponsive/unappreciative that pass through here. Someone asks a question
    that they could have easily got the answer to in a few minutes of googleing
    or using the FS-9 learning center (doh - might take a little effort - doh),
    then have a half dozen people give detailed answers, and..........
    and.............

    rant over - carry on...................

    Rule #2: No promotion of political agendas.

    Rule #3: No promotion of religious agendas.

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > Rule #2: No promotion of political agendas.
    >
    > Rule #3: No promotion of religious agendas.
    >

    > Dallas

    Everyone has their agenda, and some "friendly" give & take can be tolerated,
    whether it be politics, religion, sports, etc., but I really think if
    someone can take the time to impose on others to answer a question (I used
    to think there wasn't such a thing as a dumb question, but Amangill
    convinced me otherwise), they could at least have the courtesy of saying
    "thank you". Call me old fashioned, attack monger (most recent :), or
    whatever, it's simply the nice thing to do, even if it takes 30 seconds out
    of your busy day.....................

    I have been on the opposite end of this. I lurk in many groups and rarely
    ask questions. When I do, I feel obligated to answer each and every one who
    posts a response. No can do!
    The dynamic nature of NGs is that original posts are conversation starters
    and the op may or may not be able to contribute much beyond the question. I
    benefit from the conversation of others who are much more knowledgeable than
    myself on the topic. If it is an ongoing problem that I need additional
    input, I must be involved. I like to at some point in the discussion drop in
    a "thanks for the responses" note. But it is rare and really unnecessary.

    Yes, please keep posting. It is helpful for the lurkers. And I guess that
    there are MANY more than active posters.

    BTW, thanks to all who have answered any of my posts... There, I covered all
    the times that I forgot..
    Andy

    > I, too, used to get frustrated when I answered someone's question but
    > never
    > received a follow-up. However, I then realized that for every active
    > poster, there are perhaps many lurkers who do not post, yet still benefit
    > from any question/answer thread.
    >
    > Thus, I now no longer get frustrated and instead know that someone,
    > somewhere is probably benefiting from my answer and is silently thanking
    > me for the response. :) That's enough to keep me posting.
    >

    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    Usenet, like anything else in the communication world, requires a certain
    "learning curve" in order to operate in it effectively. The issue you have
    brought up is part of that curve.
    You're right; it is quite frustrating to take the time to write an essay
    answer to a question asked and then notice that the initial poster ignores
    your response, but that's not the end of it as far as understanding how
    things work on Usenet.
    The wise poster goes ahead and submits an answer in the spirit that the
    answer will benefit not only the poster being answered, but the rest of the
    group as well. Then the wise poster lays back a bit to give the OP a chance
    to show recognition in some way. This doesn't mean the answering poster
    REQUIRES a direct thank you. To expect this is to expect also that every
    answering post gets a direct thank you from the OP,and this could get rather
    boring if a hundred answers come in.
    The smart move for the OP is to pick the right opportunity and insert in one
    of the back and forths a GENERAL thank you to the GROUP for the responses.
    In the case of a single exchange, yes, a thank you is called for, and
    inexcusable if not given.
    Usenet, if nothing else, allows the wise observer the opportunity to learn a
    great deal about an individual poster over time, and this is the key to
    either the development of a positive or a negative attitude toward an
    individual poster.
    If you take part in the group for any length of time,and observe carefully
    the general posting habits of the people to which you respond, you will
    eventually learn one way or the other about a poster.
    It's actually rare for a poster to completely ignore thanking someone for a
    response one on one. In a group thread, with a lot of answering posts, look
    for that insertion of positive feedback from the OP and picture how you
    would be handling a "thank you" in the same situation.
    You'll find that sorting out the good from the bad isn't all that difficult.
    Then you simply discount the bad posters and concentrate on the good ones.
    Dudley Henriques

    "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and someone
    > responds that you at least acknowledge their response? I have replied to a
    > few people recently and it's as if I have sent the reply into a black
    > hole! It doesn't encourage a response from me!
    >
    > Iain

    Thanks a lot for showing that there are still decent people around, who do
    not see it as their mission in life to criticize and patronize other people
    with less experience than themselves.

    Actually we are still a few people around who has a life outside the
    newsgroups, a work and a family, and who are using the newsgroups to get a
    hint or a piece of advice when our hobby (in this case flightsim) is
    behaving unexpectedly.

    In real life I am travelling the world as an Sales Director, which over the
    years has given me a passion for flying - even in the virtual flightsim
    world, because I can "experience" all the new, exciting places I am going
    beforehand - or check them out afterwards to compare the virtual world to
    the real world. And it is astonishing how much alike they are!

    This does not make me a computer-nerd or an expert in FS2004. I visit the
    news-groups quite often to see if there are interesting questions adressing
    something that I've experienced - or interesting news in general. And I am
    fed up with the poor people who's only mission in life is to critizise and
    redicule us, who are more or less novices. Go get a life is my reaction.

    Anyway, just my spontaneous reaction. Sorry if I posted wrongly - or if my
    english is not correct. I'm Danish and my English therefore probably not
    entirely correct.

    Best regards
    Drus

    "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Iain Smith <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and someone
    >> responds that you at least acknowledge their response?
    >
    > This is futile for at least a few reasons. First, this is Usenet and even
    > the accepted rules, such as top and bottom posting, no crossposting,
    > proper
    > quoting, etc., often are disregarded.
    >
    > Secondly, some people simply pop in once, then don't re-appear for several
    > days or longer. If they are not adept with their newsreader, their
    > original thread and any responses could get lost in their display.
    >
    > And thirdly and most importantly, there is never a guarantee that one's
    > post will be propagated to all of the Usenet servers throughout the world.
    > Thus, your reply post and that of the acknowledgement may not be seen by
    > you, me, the responder, or any Usenet subscribers. You just never know.
    >
    >> I have replied to a few people recently and it's as if I have sent
    >> the reply into a black hole! It doesn't encourage a response from me!
    >
    > Ok, you got me nervous, so I displayed all of the read posts of this group
    > in my newsreader to see if I had failed to respond to you. <whew!> Not
    > that I can see. In fact, I cannot see where over the last week or so you
    > had a post that expected a reply, but then again, my news service could be
    > suffering from number three above. ;-)
    >
    > I, too, used to get frustrated when I answered someone's question but
    > never
    > received a follow-up. However, I then realized that for every active
    > poster, there are perhaps many lurkers who do not post, yet still benefit
    > from any question/answer thread.
    >
    > Thus, I now no longer get frustrated and instead know that someone,
    > somewhere is probably benefiting from my answer and is silently thanking
    > me for the response. :) That's enough to keep me posting.
    >

    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    "CRaSH"
    > Call me old fashioned, attack monger (most recent :), or
    > whatever, it's simply the nice thing to do, even if it takes 30 seconds
    out
    > of your busy day.....................

    Agreed... and if they don't, they should have to go on a midnight beach
    party with Joran van der Sloot.

    <G>

    Dallas

    "Dudley Henriques
    > Usenet, like anything else in the communication world, requires a certain
    > "learning curve" in order to operate in it effectively.

    I've just recently begun appreciate what Usenet really is... the fact that
    you can do or say whatever you want here is a precious freedom.

    I've recently had two questions pulled from product support forums because
    the moderators didn't like them. You guys know me, I'm not a Molotov
    cocktail throwing kind of guy. These were reasonable questions and I paid
    good money to these companies for their products, and they censored me.

    Imagine your anger when you go back to see the answer to your question and
    it's been removed within hours of posting it. It's a powerless feeling
    because there's nothing you can do about it. Most of the world lives in a
    police state where this is a way of life for them.

    Usenet is a profoundly powerful force for worldwide free expression.

    We tend to police Usenet ourselves, but we can't censor it... and that's
    the great thing about it.

    Dallas

    Iain Smith wrote:
    > Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and
    > someone responds that you at least acknowledge their response? I have
    > replied to a few people recently and it's as if I have sent the reply
    > into a black hole! It doesn't encourage a response from me!
    >
    > Iain

    This all reminds me of Butchy Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when someone
    starts talking about rules for a knife fight!

    --
    Cheers,

    Quilly

    Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter

    Guten Tag allerseits.

    "thanks"

    After following this conversation (an alien sympathetic lurker of this NG)
    I startet a search for 'thanks'
    Thereafter I wanted to get the result in relation to the amount of
    postings and then compare it with some other NG.
    But then the problem of ........oh it is all too complex for
    my evil English.....
    Regards, Günter

    "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Iain Smith <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote:
    > Ok, you got me nervous, so I displayed all of the read posts of this group
    > in my newsreader to see if I had failed to respond to you. <whew!> Not
    > that I can see. In fact, I cannot see where over the last week or so you
    > had a post that expected a reply, but then again, my news service could be
    > suffering from number three above. ;-)

    No not you Peter. Probably lurkers or single time users!

    > Thus, I now no longer get frustrated and instead know that someone,
    > somewhere is probably benefiting from my answer and is silently thanking
    > me for the response. :) That's enough to keep me posting.

    Good point - I'd not looked at it that way! :0))

    Iain

    Ok! Ok!<g> You all win and some of you have made valid points. So I won't
    thank you for all your replies - so there! ;0))

    Iain

    P.S. Like Dallas I'm only just appreciating Usenet.

    Iain Smith wrote:
    > Ok! Ok!<g> You all win and some of you have made valid points. So I
    > won't thank you for all your replies - so there! ;0))
    >
    > Iain
    >
    > P.S. Like Dallas I'm only just appreciating Usenet.

    What? Dally? I thought he invented newsnet!

    --

    Quilljar wrote:

    > What? Dally? I thought he invented newsnet!

    Wasn't that Al Bore..... errr..... Gore that invented the internet?? <G>

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:35:46 -0400, Beech45Whiskey wrote:
    > And thirdly and most importantly, there is never a guarantee that one's
    > post will be propagated to all of the Usenet servers throughout the world.
    > Thus, your reply post and that of the acknowledgement may not be seen by
    > you, me, the responder, or any Usenet subscribers. You just never know.

    Boy, is that ever true!

    The flip side of that is that those (hopefully rare!) posts one might
    fervently wish they had never made to begin with, seem to propogate without
    error!

    Bill

    "Beech45Whiskey"
    > What was the product and what was your complaint?

    I purposefully didn't mention the companies or products because I like them
    so much that I don't want to damage them in any way.

    However, one of my censored posts was simply a request asking for a more
    comprehensive list of all the changes made to a new version.

    Dallas
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > However, I then realized that for every active
    >poster, there are perhaps many lurkers who do not post, yet still benefit
    >from any question/answer thread.

    Sure i am one of those, so THANKS A LOT for the precious posts i read here.
    BTW... i have found in this NG and in the (more or less) corrispondent NG in
    italian, that persons are at 99% more patient. Replies are almost everytime
    correct and gentle, not affected from "professor-attitude" . In very few
    cases i have read replies like "Try to search in Google" - "Read the
    One rude reply on 1000 correct is nothing.
    Try to read some other NG... and we'll can see the difference!
    Maybe virtual pilots are better persons? ;-)))
    Ciao a tutti. (Hi all) and thanks.
    Gian
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Beech45Whiskey"
    > Despite the fact that they censored you, which made you feel powerless and
    > angry.

    Yeah, you've got to pick your battles. These weren't worth the time to go
    to war with them.

    Besides, if I did it in their forums, they'd just censor me again. :-)

    Dallas
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Beech45Whiskey wrote:

    > I, too, used to get frustrated when I answered someone's question but never
    > received a follow-up. However, I then realized that for every active
    > poster, there are perhaps many lurkers who do not post, yet still benefit
    > from any question/answer thread.
    >
    > Thus, I now no longer get frustrated and instead know that someone,
    > somewhere is probably benefiting from my answer and is silently thanking
    > me for the response. :) That's enough to keep me posting.

    As a long time lurker and occasional poster, I would like to thank everyone
    for their contributions.

    Regards
    Grimbor
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Justin" <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Beech45Whiskey wrote:
    >>
    >> I, too, used to get frustrated when I answered someone's question but
    >> never
    >> received a follow-up. However, I then realized that for every active
    >> poster, there are perhaps many lurkers who do not post, yet still benefit
    >> from any question/answer thread.
    >>
    >> Thus, I now no longer get frustrated and instead know that someone,
    >> somewhere is probably benefiting from my answer and is silently thanking
    >> me for the response. :) That's enough to keep me posting.
    >>

    > As a long time lurker and occasional poster, I would like to thank
    > everyone for their contributions.
    >
    > Regards
    > Grimbor

    I, too, am a "daily lurker" that rarely posts. I feel that this NG is a
    vital part of my sim aviation hobby. I would like to thank all the regular
    posters for their insight into a hobby that indeed does have a substantial
    "learning curve".

    I have sure learned a lot about simming that makes the experience a lot more
    pleasureable.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:10:29 +0000 (UTC), Iain Smith wrote:

    > Could we make a rule that if you ask for help/advice/whatever and someone
    > responds that you at least acknowledge their response? I have replied to a
    > few people recently and it's as if I have sent the reply into a black hole!
    > It doesn't encourage a response from me!

    Well we can't make a rule out of it, but I understand your point.
    I believe if someone puts in the effort to reply to a request or question,
    the least the OP could to is respond to the reply.
    This is the main reason why I rarely respond to noobs these days.

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

Games Microsoft Video Games